Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm speechless, how can Tesla do this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So DRAMATIC!!! My lord, just email them and request an exchange. I've been shipped the wrong thing, empty packages, damaged packages, things that I never ordered! Just deal with it.

Have you been successful with the Tesla Online shop for that? I tried to get a iPhone case returned and never was able to contact anyone or get the item returned even emailing the official email. I just ended up eating the costs, which sucked.

Maybe there is a trick to it that I missed.

Perhaps picking up the phone might (and arming yourself with a truckload of patience -- Tesla is not actually known for manning its telephone lines with enough people to avoid reaaalllly long lines) might help?

As you'll see from this thread:
Contact phone number for Tesla Online Shop customer service? | Tesla

Service Centers usually can act as your advocates.

Some might just throw one of these kits your way if they have them in stock.

Personally, I've had some luck with "Technical Support" (a few menus down from the same number called for Roadside Assistance, but that's probably different in the US) making sure someone dealt with a problem with an online store item (officially I don't even have an online store, I have to pretend I'm Dutch ;-) ).

All of these things have a higher probability of achieving success than complaining on this forum, to be frank.

So of course I call up and get re-routed fifteen times and then hung up on. I don't even know who I would contact to fix this.

Good luck with those guys. My parents who insisted on getting me a Christmas present bought me a Tesla sweatshirt and cap. The sweatshirt had to be child sized since the sleeves went above my wrists so I tried to contact them to return it. It took weeks for them to even answer my emails and over a month to get it taken care of. It was an adventure to say the least.

If I were you, I would go to a local service center- especially since it's paint. Would be a lot faster. Or try chat on your app. Best of luck!

Reactions: Runnergirl
I ordered the paint repair kit and they sent me the wrong color (though the exterior box was marked correctly, the inner box had the wrong color inside). Rather than call, email them at [email protected]. Was pretty painless for me. They responded within a day and shipped the new kit via FedEx. They sent me a new kit pretty quickly and didn't require me to send the old one back.

Uh oh....I think I better check my box to make sure I received the right one. When I ordered it, I never even thought to make sure they sent the right color.... oh boy....

• Funny
Reactions: Runnergirl
I don't, but some people probably found the

a bit excessive for a misshipment of an item your life doesn't exactly depend on. That's not "I'm speechless" on my scale of things, it's "sh_t happens", at least unless Tesla would simply refuse to ship me what I paid for.

Because you don't feel the same way as OP, does it make the feeling incorrect? Everyone reacts differently to events/circumstances....

Reactions: Big City
Nobody "accused" the OP of any of the above "nasty stuff" you stated above. However it has been suggested that these were possibilities since a LOT of people feel there really isn't a good reason to create a CLICK BAIT post titled

... about 2 missing touch up paint bottle(s).

YES this meltdown is supposedly over 2 missing bottles of touch up paint !!!

IMHO (and several other TMC members here) either:
  1. the OP's reaction is WAY overblown (which should elicit an apology or just DELETE their initial post) OR
  2. there is some other reason this CLICK BAIT was created
In the interest of reducing the fuel for this lame thread hoping it will die, I'm ending any further comment. No reason to feed it. The OP has been given several logical and mature ways to handle this "pebble" (not pothole, sinkhole, crevasse, or canyon) in his "road of life". If people complain about "tripping on pebbles" again, I suggest they pick up their feet. Life is hard... and this missing touch up paint situation isn't hard by any stretch of imagination... and certainly not worth becoming "speechless" and creating a thread on TMC proclaiming "how can Tesla do this?".

I'll ask you, just like I asked another: OP obviously reacted to this situation in a different manner than you feel he should have --- what gives your opinion more merit than OP??

OP entered into a financial transaction with Tesla (a company of 30,000+ employees and worth more than Ford, GM, etc) and received AN EMPTY BOX. AND OP CANNOT GET IN CONTACT WITH TELSA

I'm outraged just reading it --- am I unreasonable as well????

I agree to a point...it's not the end of the world kind of thing but it is frustrating. I can see both sides.

At least in him posting, it lets all of us know to check our boxes and make sure we actually got the product.

It's not as bad as what I heard from my X last night. He took his S in to get serviced and his tires rotated and they forgot to tighten the lug nuts. He said he was driving and started hearing a rattling noise and it kept getting worse so he pulled over. He was a couple of miles from losing his tires and had already lost some of the lug nuts.

THAT is worth losing your #$%& over and saying I can't believe Tesla did this!

I agree to a point...it's not the end of the world kind of thing but it is frustrating. I can see both sides.

At least in him posting, it lets all of us know to check our boxes and make sure we actually got the product.

It's not as bad as what I heard from my X last night. He took his S in to get serviced and his tires rotated and they forgot to tighten the lug nuts. He said he was driving and started hearing a rattling noise and it kept getting worse so he pulled over. He was a couple of miles from losing his tires and had already lost some of the lug nuts.

THAT is worth losing your #$%& over and saying I can't believe Tesla did this!

You're not 'jumping down the throat' of the OP --- but you're still minimizing.

As it has been stated many many times in this forum: people give Tesla a pass far too often - and that has lead to much bigger issues than missing touch-up paint (although to be frank, that isn't as unacceptable as their lack of effort to FIX THE SITUATION before it comes to someone posting online)

This whole thing could have been avoided if they tried to get it right the first time, which Tesla obviously doesn't do with anything they sell

Ordered a paint repair kit directly from Tesla's website. I wanted to grab it just incase I got a chip in the paint.

This is exactly how the box came when I got it. I feel like I'm being fu#$@d with, how on earth can Tesla's quality control be so bad they send me an empty #)$(@ box?

I'm at a loss for words. It's one thing to constantly push back my service appointments but this came directly from Tesla as a "new" item, It's got a dirty fingerprint on it and the box is EMPTY.

I'm going to cry.
Maybe that was the clear coat

I’m speechless. This showed up today! Why doesn’t mine look like the original post of this thread? There’s actual STUFF in the box!! Unacceptable!!

Attachments

• 8AB0A711-3B4B-4548-B942-0251F8E691C9.jpeg
    8AB0A711-3B4B-4548-B942-0251F8E691C9.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Love
  • Funny
Reactions: RachH and BrokerDon
You're not 'jumping down the throat' of the OP --- but you're still minimizing.

As it has been stated many many times in this forum: people give Tesla a pass far too often - and that has lead to much bigger issues than missing touch-up paint (although to be frank, that isn't as unacceptable as their lack of effort to FIX THE SITUATION before it comes to someone posting online)

This whole thing could have been avoided if they tried to get it right the first time, which Tesla obviously doesn't do with anything they sell

I agree- it would have been great if they did it right the first time. No doubt about it. But I don't feel I am minimizing at all. I said I can see both sides of what people are saying on this thread.

To OP of course it is frustrating. Definitely. However I felt the title was a bit overblown. Save that for something really extreme in my opinion. The 'I can't believe Tesla did this' is the title of something really serious.

I'm glad he posted. Gives everyone a heads up. And if I were him, I would definitely be annoyed. I've had so many issues that I have almost lost count- and one had to do with ordering something and it being wrong. I contacted them and it was fixed.

But as someone said above, it's not his car and it's not major. It's an inconvenience. It's crappy and yes Tesla has to get their $%&* together- we all know that- but it's not the end of the world kind of thing. I have had the same thing happen from something shipped from Amazon and from other retailers. It's not specific to Tesla.

There are a lot of us on here who have had real problems- major issues. When so many people complain about every single thing that happens with Tesla on this forum it makes me wonder. If this happened with other vendors/retailers would they actually take the time to post on a forum or would they just do what needs to be done to take care of it?

Something to ponder...

Last edited:
Ordered a paint repair kit directly from Tesla's website. I wanted to grab it just incase I got a chip in the paint.

This is exactly how the box came when I got it. I feel like I'm being fu#$@d with, how on earth can Tesla's quality control be so bad they send me an empty #)$(@ box?

I'm at a loss for words. It's one thing to constantly push back my service appointments but this came directly from Tesla as a "new" item, It's got a dirty fingerprint on it and the box is EMPTY.

I'm going to cry.

Same things happened to me for the first time ever two weeks ago when my Amazon order for a 128GB Samsung SD card arrived. The envelope was completely empty.

My cynical side says that someone making minimum wage put the card in his/her pocket and sold it on eBay or Craigslist.

If I’m right, whose fault is that and how do you resolve the root cause? Look at countries with widespread corruption for ideas!