Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm thinking of getting a Model S: Would you recommend it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm reading (on this forum/TMC) some pent up frustration and dis-satisfaction with the lack of progress on the Tesla infortainment system.

Will we perhaps see these issues addressed with the v8 update?

As I contemplate deciding between the Mercedes Benz E300 2017 model and the Tesla Model S... I have to tell you that:
  • I love the drive and everything EV about the MS
  • I love the big screen and the many features on the MS, including the OTA (over the air) updates etc
  • BUT... with newer cars like the E300 adopting Android Auto (Android Auto) and the likes... I was perhaps a tad bit MORE impressed with the infotainment system on the E300. I'm being honest here. e.g. Love that on the E300, you can just use Waze [https://www.waze.com/] when you plug your phone in. etc. etc.

Should I remain concerned about this??

Help.

Yes and no.
Tesla's system is fully upgradable from a software standpoint which allows major changes to the UI. Tesla has rolled out one major update already which rollout was to the entire fleet. It allowed existing cars to get better.

That is the up side, the system improves with time.

The down side is that they do not seem to be focusing on the UI right now. There is a new one coming but their primary focus seems to be on AutoPilot/Autonomous driving and building machines that make the machines. Changes will come but they may not be as fast as you would like. At least when they come, they can be rolled out to your car via over the air updates which are significantly more seamless than, say, and IPhone update.

I'm reading (on this forum/TMC) some pent up frustration and dis-satisfaction with the lack of progress on the Tesla infortainment system.

As I contemplate deciding between the Mercedes Benz E300 2017 model and the Tesla Model S... I have to tell you that:
  • BUT... with newer cars like the E300 adopting Android Auto (Android Auto) and the likes... I was perhaps a tad bit MORE impressed with the infotainment system on the E300. I'm being honest here. e.g. Love that on the E300, you can just use Waze [https://www.waze.com/] when you plug your phone in. etc. etc.

Help.

OK A plus for the MB. But do you really want to buy a car simply due to the infotainment system? I'm not in it for that alone (that's just me; with hearing at my age:)). But as others have said: upgrades to software to make things better are a much higher probability with Tesla.
Tesla is a high tech company which provides a remarkable platform to enjoy its wizardry. MB is (near) the pinnacle of 20th century technology. Which century are you rooted in?

Reactions: singleview

• I love the drive and everything EV about the MS
  • I love the big screen and the many features on the MS, including the OTA (over the air) updates etc

Help.

Mercedes will probably give you a better experience on phone integration the moment you drive off the lot.

However, Mercedes won't change. In a few years, they won't have support for whatever new extension of Android Auto folks have dreamed up, or the next generation streaming service, or whatever.

Tesla includes free streaming music service (Slacker) in the car, which I doubt you'll find anywhere else.

They haven't gotten to Android Auto or CarPlay yet - but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that made it into 8.0 this fall, and you know improved integration will happen at some point.

I just had a loaner with CarPlay (2016 Impala,) and I wasn't that impressed. All it really seemed to give me was access to maps, siri, the music on the phone, and text messaging. Maybe I'm missing something, but I wasn't that impressed (if you don't have navigation in the car, it's a big boon - but Tesla already has one of the better navigation systems along with the streaming music...)

• Helpful
Reactions: Ciaopec
Since you're a Pittsburgher, let me offer a tidbit the Florida and Ohio contingents (among others) can't:

The Tesla makes hills DISAPPEAR. That's right. GONE. The tedious roar of a gas engine struggling to climb up Mt Washington or downshifting to stay at cruising speed on the Turnpike eastbound-- GONE. One little gentle nudge with your right toe and WHOOSH! Suddenly you're on the Great Plains.

I can't tell you how much fun I have launching UP the hills around here. Want to surprise a passenger? THAT's the way to do it. People are used to roller coasters going slow on the uphill but the Tesla works the other way around.

When it's time to go down the hills, watch all the other drivers careening into Johnny Law territory then lighting up their brakes to slow down only to rocket faster the second they release them, then mashing them down again... etc. With the Tesla I just let it make energy off the regen while dropping down the mountain by Nemacolin or approaching the ski areas. The car maintains speed with no friction braking, no drama, and I don't even have to juggle my feet around.

Better. The driving experience is just freakin' better.

2017-Mercedes-Benz-E300-cabin-01.jpg 2015-tesla-model-s-p85d-inline3-photo-654973-s-original.jpg

Look at these two images and then make the "RIGHT" choice.

Since you're a Pittsburgher, let me offer a tidbit the Florida and Ohio contingents (among others) can't:

The Tesla makes hills DISAPPEAR. That's right. GONE. The tedious roar of a gas engine struggling to climb up Mt Washington or downshifting to stay at cruising speed on the Turnpike eastbound-- GONE. One little gentle nudge with your right toe and WHOOSH! Suddenly you're on the Great Plains.

I can't tell you how much fun I have launching UP the hills around here. Want to surprise a passenger? THAT's the way to do it. People are used to roller coasters going slow on the uphill but the Tesla works the other way around.

When it's time to go down the hills, watch all the other drivers careening into Johnny Law territory then lighting up their brakes to slow down only to rocket faster the second they release them, then mashing them down again... etc. With the Tesla I just let it make energy off the regen while dropping down the mountain by Nemacolin or approaching the ski areas. The car maintains speed with no friction braking, no drama, and I don't even have to juggle my feet around.

Better. The driving experience is just freakin' better.

@Newscutter I want to come to Pittsburgh! I am in the flatlands of NW Ohio where I apparently enjoy only half the fun of a Tesla. Can I come ride with you?