Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving EV TripPlanner with our data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my observations, based only upon 2,600 miles of use on a P90DL.

First, when going on a long trip (100 miles+) and using the Navigation App and the energy usage trip graph App, what I have found is that the energy usage trip graph at the beginning of the trip and end of the trip is just about dead nuts on with the exception of perhaps +/- 2% at the worst. I most often beat the initial estimate by a tiny bit. :cool:

I keep my settings on Battery Percentage as I can easily calculate my range better that way.
So my battery icon in the driver's pod shows the current charge and a % number not rated range.

For cooler to cold weather I have found that each % gets me no less that 2 miles of real range (not on very short trips however, those are MUCH lower).
For warmer dry weather I have found that each % gets me 2.5 miles of real range.

Interesting enough, using EV Trip Planner and the P85D auto choice and 1.1 as the speed and 500 pounds of payload pretty much gets
me the same results as the above observations. Where EV Trip Planner excels is the change in altitude and its effect on range. (however the energy usage trip graph seems to also take this into account now? or am I dreaming??)

So far, here in New England, we do not suffer the effects of wind where I drive.

... Where EV Trip Planner excels is the change in altitude and its effect on range. (however the energy usage trip graph seems to also take this into account now? or am I dreaming??)
You're awake! I think the Energy app "always" did this (for definition of "always" see my signature). You can tell by looking at the graph for a trip with long/steep hills; an example for me is a trip on I80 over the Sierra Nevada between Reno and Sacramento. There's no reason other than elevation changes for the graph to be not a straight line on a single road with a constant speed limit; but for a trip like that it's not a straight line, and if I monitor the graph versus what I see outside, the graph slope inversely correlates with the road slope.