Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In a few days I will be giving up my model S and I am sad....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ordered two Model 3s . One for my wife and one to replace my model S that has a lease expiring. I leased back in 2016 when they were use high residual values to get the lease payments down.

Long story short my new lease payment on a S would have been 45% more than I'm paying now which I'm having a hard time justifying hence I ordered a model 3 instead.

Any S owners out there that have gone to a 3? If so how do you like it compared to the S?

Things I think I will miss the most about the S

- Hatchback- I love the hatchback and use it all the time
- Rear facing seats- I have 4 kids and can take my entire family in the S when needed.
- Design- I like the S design more than than the 3 but maybe that will change when the 3 comes and I see it in person

I've never been attached to a car before haha but man I've loved driving my S. It never gets old.

Reactions: Donz_S
My delimna as well. Totaled my 2013 S 85 and now looking at used 2016 S 90D/100D or new AWD 3. Although I could easily hit the buy button for the 3, it pains me to do so because I was SOOO happy with my S.

- Portrait vs Landscspe screen
- Liftgate pass through can haul 9ft 2x4s
- It was mint condition w 40K in 5 years

Have to say. I love the 3 to drive daily. Tripping is so nice in the S. If I totaled the S. Sorry about your loss @Donz_S. I would get an S used rather than another 3.

Can't see ever selling the S.

As mentioned by both the liftgate pass through. I love to travel and get to a trailhead and crash before getting up to go hiking.
Have spent about 15 days sleeping in the S. 30 days in the 3. S wins hands down. Air suspension is nice on those nasty dirt roads.

Thought about getting another 75D instead of the 3. I couldn't justify the lower range for the body style. I thought the 3 was a much better value despite the tradeoffs for my usage. Which is strange.

Reactions: Donz_S and croman
So I ordered two Model 3s . One for my wife and one to replace my model S that has a lease expiring. I leased back in 2016 when they were use high residual values to get the lease payments down.

Long story short my new lease payment on a S would have been 45% more than I'm paying now which I'm having a hard time justifying hence I ordered a model 3 instead.

Any S owners out there that have gone to a 3? If so how do you like it compared to the S?

- Rear facing seats- I have 4 kids and can take my entire family in the S when needed.
- Design- I like the S design more than than the 3 but maybe that will change when the 3 comes and I see it in person

I've never been attached to a car before haha but man I've loved driving my S. It never gets old.

Do you have a third vehicle? If not, with two Model 3s neither of you will have one vehicle that can carry your whole family. Are you OK with that? It seems like a used S could serve you better?

Do you have a third vehicle? If not, with two Model 3s neither of you will have one vehicle that can carry your whole family. Are you OK with that? It seems like a used S could serve you better?

Yes we have a (gasp) minivan as well :) That thing is on lease until next Dec. I've considered canceling one of the 3s and going for a model X next December.

I have 3 days to return the model 3 if I for some reason don't like it.

Yes we have a (gasp) minivan as well :) That thing is on lease until next Dec. I've considered canceling one of the 3s and going for a model X next December.

I have 3 days to return the model 3 if I for some reason don't like it.

I am so sorry to hear (read?) that! Seriously though, I'm glad to see that you have all your bases covered. It is kinda hard to get around just how useful a minivan can be to a family. Good luck with your 3/S/X decision!

My wife won't give up her minivan. I've had her sit in a X (I drive an S), and she is unmovable. Minivans have a place in this world, and I have to admit they are the most functional vehicle in the world. We have literally carried a live goat in the back of the thing...
My wife was the same way until kids got older, then I got her into a Model S, though sadly as much as she loves the car, she's been hating the bugginess of the 2018 build lately (her 2017 has some initial issues, but then it was great). Her next car might me the Audi eTron SUV.

It is totally understandable that people would consider the Model 3 to be the better value. That is what it was designed to do.
It has much of the Tesla goodness, but packaged into a smaller vehicle. More nimble and great range.

There will still be owners that will find great value in a Model S or X. They want the greater space, smoother ride, and the dual information displays. They like the air ride suspension on longer trips, and appreciate the additional seating and storage space.
The hatch designs allow for much more versitile access to the storage and the ability to carry much more stuff.
The integrated trailer hitch adds another factor which will make the X the only choice.

The greatest sales volumes will be in the Model 3. They are far easier to produce and use up fewer resources. They are designed to be the volume seller.

The S/X paved the way, and made possible the Model 3.

Pulling up in an S or X will always create a different impression than in a 3.

Reactions: ChadS
if the residual is over market value but you really like the setup you have why not find a CPO model S similarly configured?

it also sounds like one M3 and one MX could get you to a two car family

My wife won't give up her minivan. I've had her sit in a X (I drive an S), and she is unmovable. Minivans have a place in this world, and I have to admit they are the most functional vehicle in the world. We have literally carried a live goat in the back of the thing...
Your wife must know my wife. She would love an all electric mini-van (Tesla) if they made one. She doesn't understand the Y and the pickup truck and ignoring the minivan segment. Of course minivans aren't cool or sexy, but they are incredibly practical for families and (with the miles she puts on ours) an electric option would be great. Whoever gets first to market with a decent electric minivan that has a realistic range of at least 200 miles is going to dominate that part of the market...

I thought about trading my s for a 3 after reading all the comments about how enjoyable the 3 is to drive. I just cant rationalize it because of the rear facing seats that we use quite often. So I convinced my wife to give up her honda pilot for a 3. Best of both worlds, I get to drive both!

So I am actually the opposite. I ordered a long range model 3 back in July for my wife, our first electric vehicle. We fell in love with the performance, the electric concept and technology that came with the car. After a few months I could not wait to replace my Prius so 2 days ago I put down a deposit on a CPO model S P85D. I am already amazed with the performance of the model 3, I am sure the model S will kick ass.

I also loved my S and was sad letting it go. The S does have tons of capacity which you'll miss but the 3 does have a lot of storage space for a mid size sedan. Some things you'll like better in the 3 is the interior is just better overall and the HVAC is a big improvement. With that said you'll definitely miss your S...but love your 3!

if the residual is over market value but you really like the setup you have why not find a CPO model S similarly configured?

it also sounds like one M3 and one MX could get you to a two car family

That was my initial thought as well but I haven't been able to find a model S in the configuration I want. Not many have the rear facing seats and Autopilot 2 . If you know of any resources to locate let me know!

We still have a used S we bought last year but just picked up a LR RWD 3. I am experiencing buyer’s remorse. The S or X makes a better family vehicle for sure. I thought the power hatch and presenting handles were gimmicky. Now, I understand why the 3 doesnt have it. It puts the S in a different class. Buy the vehicle that your family will utilize most. Dont fall for the gimmicky tech. Its great but a vehicle first and foremost has some priorities to do, get your family safely to where you need to be, fit everyone/everything you need, and be an enjoyable ride.

New does not mean better. Things may change if more AP software/features are released but at this time we should have just bought a used X through Tesla or bought a used 3 one/two years later. Well, if money is bo object the point is moot.

My advice, dont get another 3.

Last edited:
We still have a used S we bought last year but just picked up a LR RWD 3. I am experiencing buyer’s remorse. The S or X makes a better family vehicle for sure. I thought the power hatch and presenting handles were gimmicky. Now, I understand why the 3 doesnt have it. It puts the S in a different class.

New is not better. Things may change if more AP software/features are released but at this time we should have just bought a used X through Tesla or bought a used 3 one/two years later. Well, if money is bo object the point is moot.

My advice, dont get another 3.

Is the size the main issue for you?