Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In Service mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what restrictions Tesla reps can and can’t not do while put car in service mode? Ie is there throttle, speed control, or does it mean in service they can go for joy ride, 0-60 acceleration, do burnout, donuts and owner won’t know about it?

I went to pick up my car after service and it was still in service mode. The speed was limited to 30mph in my car. It was a windshield replacement and control arm replacement so there was no reason to test the car to reproduce a complaint or make sure a noise was fixed.

I dont know the answer to the question... but a typical tesla technician is going to see nothing but teslas, and there is no model 3 that will appear special to any such technician. Its not like a rare porsche or something. You really cant "hoon" one of these as the car computer is very good ad making sure you cant.

There are no "donuts, burnouts, etc, without fully disabling that stuff, and even if service mode does that (which I dont know), no tesla technician would do it. I am sure logging into the car is tracked (speaking as an IT person with admin access to various systems at my job which is not tesla).

These are the most connected cars in the world, everything would be tracked, and a tesla tech has driven much faster teslas than any model 3, so its not special to them either.

I dont know the answer to the question... but a typical tesla technician is going to see nothing but teslas, and there is no model 3 that will appear special to any such technician. Its not like a rare porsche or something. You really cant "hoon" one of these as the car computer is very good ad making sure you cant.

There are no "donuts, burnouts, etc, without fully disabling that stuff, and even if service mode does that (which I dont know), no tesla technician would do it. I am sure logging into the car is tracked (speaking as an IT person with admin access to various systems at my job which is not tesla).

These are the most connected cars in the world, everything would be tracked, and a tesla tech has driven much faster teslas than any model 3, so its not special to them either.
I’m not concern Tesla rep drive my car, I’m worried about 3rd party body shop Tesla sent To and drive customers cars for joy ride or anything reckless.

I've placed my car in service mode before while near a service center. The default speed limit setting is 7mph, but you can toggle this off, which will "remove speed, torque, and creep mode safety settings." Also, as you know the phone app is disabled while in service mode and can't be enabled through the service mode settings on the vehicle display. If you really want to keep tabs on the car, you'll probably need to have a 3rd party GPS module hidden somewhere inside.

Service Mode disables your ability to see location in the Tesla app, but it doesn't actually disable GPS location through the API. When I'm in service mode I can still see the car move through 3rd party services (TeslaFi, Tessie, etc) so I know they've actually moved it into the shop and are getting ready to work on it. For example, moving from the lot in front of the Houston North service center into the facility (definitely in service mode at this point as I'd checked several times in the app).

Edit - I'm actually pretty sure it's only the Tesla app that is altering behavior based on In_Service flag or whatever. I don't think anything is limited at the API level. I didn't want to honk my horn or anything annoying, but all the controls on third party services still seem to function. I tried turning on climate when the car was still in the front of the parking lot, and it appeared to work and I saw the cabin temp reduce for the minute or two I left it on.

1640970991540.png

My tesla app shows location of my vehicle when in service mode, but is there a way to see how fast my car is moving or how hard they drive without installing another gps system? Again, I’m not concern Tesla reps drive my car as there‘s many Plaid they driven, but little concern of 3rd party body shops.

My tesla app shows location of my vehicle when in service mode, but is there a way to see how fast my car is moving or how hard they drive without installing another gps system? Again, I’m not concern Tesla reps drive my car as there‘s many Plaid they driven, but little concern of 3rd party body shops.
I shouldn't worry about it. Teslas are becoming so ubiquitous now they don't really turn heads...definitely not in CA! I'm sure any 3rd party shop staff wont be drooling at the thought of going out in a 3!

Reactions: BenKuoT3SLA
How did you do this? I thought only a Tesla person could put it in service mode via some magic or something.

This post from falconfour has a round about explanation:

I happen to agree with @FalconFour that this should not be widespread posted here in the open, as it will likely get shut down by tesla if it is due to the size of this website, so any direct explanations I see I will likely remove, at least in subforums I moderate.

Service Mode disables your ability to see location in the Tesla app, but it doesn't actually disable GPS location through the API. When I'm in service mode I can still see the car move through 3rd party services (TeslaFi, Tessie, etc) so I know they've actually moved it into the shop and are getting ready to work on it. For example, moving from the lot in front of the Houston North service center into the facility (definitely in service mode at this point as I'd checked several times in the app).

Edit - I'm actually pretty sure it's only the Tesla app that is altering behavior based on In_Service flag or whatever. I don't think anything is limited at the API level. I didn't want to honk my horn or anything annoying, but all the controls on third party services still seem to function. I tried turning on climate when the car was still in the front of the parking lot, and it appeared to work and I saw the cabin temp reduce for the minute or two I left it on.

View attachment 750450
How do you find the location of the car if it's in service mode? I'm trying to figure out if they've started working on my car yet. Thanks.

How do you find the location of the car if it's in service mode? I'm trying to figure out if they've started working on my car yet. Thanks.

They mentioned it in the post you quoted, using a third party app that gives location of the vehicle, like teslafi or something. I also am going to lock this thread as I think the less attention brought to service mode here at TMC the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.