Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect Rear seat unbuckled warning Software 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never had an issue with car seats in the middle row but after 8.0 last night it seems to think the seat is occupied and needs buckling (with car seats in it).
The exclamation point drove me nuts enough to pull over and Buckle the seatbelt behind the car seat to have the warning turn off.

Reactions: Gymee
Add me to the list. I've got a 6 seater with an open seat behind me, the driver, and a car seat behind the front passenger. All day I've had this recurring seat belt notification for the seat behind me. I even had a passenger properly buckled in but still received the alert.

I get an unbuckled warning in the middle row behind the passenger seat even when the belt is buckled. It goes away if we wiggle it around a fair amount and perhaps buckle and unbuckle a few times. I've only noticed after v8.0 but my wife says that it was happening before.

I've had this issue from day 1. 2nd row (passenger side) will show the seat belt indicator when someone in seated there with the seat belt buckled. Had it in for service and it was fine for about 3 weeks before the problem came back. It's in for service again - hopefully they resolve it this time for good.

I never had an issue with car seats in the middle row but after 8.0 last night it seems to think the seat is occupied and needs buckling (with car seats in it).
The exclamation point drove me nuts enough to pull over and Buckle the seat-belt behind the car seat to have the warning turn off.
Seat occupancy sensor may need to be calibrated. Take out car seats, undo seat-belt and reboot (scroll wheel method). Then put your car-seat back in using a seat protector with plastic support ribs. (some car-seats trigger the occupancy sensor either their weight or their shape) This worked for my false seat-belt warning.

Another thing to check is the rear car seat strap, It tends to slip down the side of the head rest, this adds pressure to the occupancy sensor and is perceived as an adult sitting in the seat when tightened. Both the V-shaped rear straps and the single straps may slip down this way.

Seat occupancy sensor may need to be calibrated. Take out car seats, undo seat-belt and reboot (scroll wheel method). Then put your car-seat back in using a seat protector with plastic support ribs. (some car-seats trigger the occupancy sensor either their weight or their shape) This worked for my false seat-belt warning.

Another thing to check is the rear car seat strap, It tends to slip down the side of the head rest, this adds pressure to the occupancy sensor and is perceived as an adult sitting in the seat when tightened. Both the V-shaped rear straps and the single straps may slip down this way.

Update:

Took the car seats out, rebooted the car (twice! Via the power off button and via the scroll buttons), put the car seats back in.

The errors went away for a split second, but came back as soon as we started driving the car the next day. It's also intermittent in that it comes and goes during the same trip. What makes it really annoying is that the warning replaces whatever is in the left driver display and won't go away until you change the display, and the intermittent nature makes it come back.

Anyone else having any luck?

Update:

Took the car seats out, rebooted the car (twice! Via the power off button and via the scroll buttons), put the car seats back in.

The errors went away for a split second, but came back as soon as we started driving the car the next day. It's also intermittent in that it comes and goes during the same trip. What makes it really annoying is that the warning replaces whatever is in the left driver display and won't go away until you change the display, and the intermittent nature makes it come back.

Anyone else having any luck?
When you pit the carseats back in make sure you have something underneath it that will distribute the weight of the seat. If you lift the seat up the warning goes away.

When you pit the carseats back in make sure you have something underneath it that will distribute the weight of the seat. If you lift the seat up the warning goes away.

I have Britax seat protectors. They're a pretty thick rubber, and I would think would do ok distributing weight, although maybe not to the same degree as a stiffer cover. Maybe I've got the seats latched in too tight?

Would be a convenient feature to add a sensor to the rear latch and/or seat latches, so that the car knows to ignore the weight when a car seat is in place.