Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indiana Tesla owners and future owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone in the Indianapolis area have any experiences with tire shops? I'm looking for a recommendation for a place to rotate tires and also maybe get winter tires. I'd prefer going somewhere where I know they've worked on Teslas.

Discount Tire does tire rotations for free. Their shop on Lafayette road near I-65 has experience with Teslas. They also have competitive prices for the Michelin OEM tires that Tesla uses.

GSP

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing PIRELLIWINTER 240 SOTTOZERO S2 tires for my Model 3 18 inch for the winter months. Which would you guys recommend? Have it done by Discount Tires or bring the tires to Tesla and have them put it on? Looking on forums. I've read Tesla charges $50 per tire. I haven't called to confirm this price.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing PIRELLIWINTER 240 SOTTOZERO S2 tires for my Model 3 18 inch for the winter months. Which would you guys recommend? Have it done by Discount Tires or bring the tires to Tesla and have them put it on? Looking on forums. I've read Tesla charges $50 per tire. I haven't called to confirm this price.

Thanks!
FWIW, I bought the winter tire/wheel package (18” Pirelli Sottozeros) from Tesla last year after a pot hole took out two of my 19”s. I have a LR RWD Model 3, and they made a big difference in the snow, especially coming from a half-worn set of 19”s. The Pirellis might be a little noisier, but they’re not too bad. As for using Discount Tire, I personally don’t have any experience with them. I’m a bit nervous with them not getting on the jack pads properly, so I just go to the Tesla Service Center. They’re a little more expensive, but it’s well worth the piece of mind.

I bought the Michilan IceX tires and a set of wheels for them at the Discount Tire in Carmel. I called them before going up there and they said they had worked on Teslas before so I decided to give them a try. I bought the tires and wheels from them a few months ago and then went back in November to have them put on. A word of caution, when you tell them you want wheels too, they just put in the most expensive set of wheels they sold that worked for my tires/car so do pay attention if you don't want those wheels and ask about others. I did end up choosing a more expensive set than I initially intended to get because I wanted something strong because of all the dang pot holes in Indy. I also really like how they look and will be sad to put the other set back on. LOL Anyway, even though they said they have worked on Teslas, I still printed out the instructions from the manual about the jack points and put that and the lift disks I bought on the driver seat when I got there so whoever worked on it would see it. I also put little notes on the door open buttons to indicate that's how to open the door. Tires went on just fine and are doing well in the slush and ice we've had this past week. I have a RWD so I have noticed it want to fishtail a bit, but only when I start up too fast on a slippery spot where I'm turning at the same time. I've had to back off the accelerator a tad in certain conditions. But the tires are working great!

Reactions: Catung
FWIW, I bought the winter tire/wheel package (18” Pirelli Sottozeros) from Tesla last year after a pot hole took out two of my 19”s. I have a LR RWD Model 3, and they made a big difference in the snow, especially coming from a half-worn set of 19”s. The Pirellis might be a little noisier, but they’re not too bad. As for using Discount Tire, I personally don’t have any experience with them. I’m a bit nervous with them not getting on the jack pads properly, so I just go to the Tesla Service Center. They’re a little more expensive, but it’s well worth the piece of mind.

Did you go to the SC to purchase and have them installed? Or did you order online and then schedule the installation?

I’m from the Seattle area where we pay about .09/kWh for electricity. Were thinking about moving in the spring to Indiana. likely Spencer or Bloomington area. An anyone give me some idea about how much the rates are and do y’all have peak and off peak times?

Lastly who is the service center? It looks like, only one to support the entire state are there long waits to get in for things?

I’m from the Seattle area where we pay about .09/kWh for electricity. Were thinking about moving in the spring to Indiana. likely Spencer or Bloomington area. An anyone give me some idea about how much the rates are and do y’all have peak and off peak times?

Lastly who is the service center? It looks like, only one to support the entire state are there long waits to get in for things?

In Bloomington (Duke Energy), it’s 9 cents per kWh for the first 300 kWh, then it goes down 5.2 cents for the next, I think, 1000 kWh. I don’t remember what’s next.

No peak or off peak.

I’m not sure of how long service calls take. Never had to use them (knock on wood).

• Informative
Reactions: Alysashley79
Yeah, no peak/off peak hours. I'm on IPL (Indianapolis Power and Light) service and they do offer special EV rates if you install a charger at your house, but you have to have a separate meter for the charger and I found it would cost me more to install their equipment than I would save on the special EV rates because our electricity is pretty cheap here. It just wasn't worth the expense or the hassle. They have an EV advisor to help you figure out what will work best for you. You could check Duke Energy's website to see if they have something similar.

Service calls can take a while, but probably nothing like they do on the west coast. I think I waited about 2 months for one to fix some issues with the paint that we noticed at delivery. Once I had the appointment made and dropped the car off, I got it back very quickly. Like 2 days I think. They gave me an S for a loaner and I liked it so I was bummed I had to give it back so soon. The hardest thing for me to get used to is communicating through the app. They pay no attention to phone calls and emails are hit or miss.

The Richmond one would be good if it happens. I-70 is a dead zone until you get to Dayton, though that's totally doable from Indy. I-74 is also a dead zone until Cincinnati, but again, it's doable from Indy.

A meet-up could be fun. There's a group that meets once a month at the Carmel SC mostly to talk to new owners and answer their questions. I think it's the one jschwefel gave a link to.

Any one have a body shop in central Indiana they trust to re-paint a bumper? Someone backed in to my model 3. Luckily the damage is super minor, it's just paint scrapes. But the car is only 4 months old and I'm a little sad about it.

The person drove away, but sentry caught a lovely view of them back straight into my car, license plate in clear view. So at least he's insurance is paying for my bumper repaint!

Any one have a body shop in central Indiana they trust to re-paint a bumper? Someone backed in to my model 3. Luckily the damage is super minor, it's just paint scrapes. But the car is only 4 months old and I'm a little sad about it.

The person drove away, but sentry caught a lovely view of them back straight into my car, license plate in clear view. So at least he's insurance is paying for my bumper repaint!
I hope he's also getting a leaving-the-scene-of-an-accident conviction bonus.