Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction Stoves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charcoal emits about 3x of the CO2 compared to propane/NG for the same task.

However, charcoal is made from wood, so all of its CO2 came from the atmosphere, while the propane is a fossil fuel. Seems like a toss-up.

Hopefully the CyberTruck will come equipped with a 15kw electric BBQ lol

Oil originates from plant life as well, with a bit of animals tossed into the mix here and there. So charcoal and natural gas both come from the same source. :D

• Helpful
Reactions: CyberGus
And Romans thought that lead pipes for water were safe because they used them for a long time before the effects started to occur.
Really? This is a very fallacious comparison. You’re comparing Roman ignorance of the effects of lead to our knowledge of CO and NO2 measurements? And our historic data where we can compare groups of people in household with gas appliances and without? As well as households with proper ventilati?

We can actually measure the concentration of pollutants from burning natural gas and we know the concentrations and time of exposure to each that pose a risk to various health conditions. A study here in SoCal determined that gas stoves without running a vent fan contribute to an average increase of 25%-40% of the total CO and NO2 that naturally exist or is given off in the house. This may seem like a lot, but even with a 100% increase it would be well below the concentration to pose any health risk (aside from a few with conditions.)

Where issues occur is in houses that already have high concentrations and very poor ventilation. In these homes the percent increase is actually a lot lower as the concentration is already high to begin with and the stove doesn’t add much.

The bigger issue is with old inefficient stoves that don’t burn the gas efficiently.

Natural gas was the preferred method of lighting before Edison perfected the light bulb. We don't know if anyone was poisoned but there were a lot more fires back then that killed people. That is my main reason to want to get rid of it in my next home.
There are many more fires started from faulty electrical than from gas. In fact unintended cooking in general (regardless of the type of stove) is the biggest contributor. Then heating sources (mostly portable electrical heaters) are second. Fires from gas are not that high.

Haha, Boiling water at Mamoth sucks compared to anywhere near sea level. Most clad cookware or inexpensive stainless cookware works fine. It just needs a little bit of iron content for the induced heat to work.
Actually boiling water at 8,000 ft is much quicker than at sea level as it doesn’t have to get as hot. So it boils sooner. But yes, boiling food sucks as it doesn’t get as hot (which is what I mentioned).

Reactions: Ampster
This is my plan, brand new house so going to go with induction range and heat pump for heating and AC. That factor of 3 will be awesome for the heat pump, saving me 5-10 MW a year.
Moderator(s)
I don’t think my post should have been moved from the solar roof thread. It mentions an inductive range, but that’s less than 25% of the post, it has the summary of my electric house including heat pump and expected savings. Maybe leave a copy behind. Thanks for moderating, I know it’s tricky.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
There are many more fires started from faulty electrical than from gas. In fact unintended cooking in general (regardless of the type of stove) is the biggest contributor. Then heating sources (mostly portable electrical heaters) are second. Fires from gas are not that high.

They're almost half of all fires. It's almost impossible to start a fire with an induction stove. So you would not only avoid fires caused by gas but also those caused by resistance electric.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.55.57 AM.png

They're almost half of all fires. It's almost impossible to start a fire with an induction stove. So you would not only avoid fires caused by gas but also those caused by resistance electric.

View attachment 657726
This is exactly what I said. Cooking is the leading cause. Little of it has to do with using gas however. There are about equal numbers of cooking fires on electric and gas cooktops. It is the carelessness and neglect that are the main causes. Things such as grease fires (getting too hot regardless of heat source), or putting water in oil, ect. Few fires are a direct result of the gas flame igniting something.

Yes, gas cooktops will more likely lead to fires than induction, that of course is true

This is exactly what I said. Cooking is the leading cause. Little of it has to do with using gas however. There are about equal numbers of cooking fires on electric and gas cooktops. It is the carelessness and neglect that are the main causes. Things such as grease fires (getting too hot regardless of heat source), or putting water in oil, ect. Few fires are a direct result of the gas flame igniting something.

Yes, gas cooktops will more likely lead to fires than induction, that of course is true

It's nearly impossible to start a fire with an induction stove.... so the method of cooking has literally everything to do with the risk of a fire. The heat source with induction is the pan... there's no source of ignition like there is with gas or even electric. You can cook on top of a paper towel with induction and the paper won't even smolder.

Though I'm sure if you gave Consumer Reports enough time they would find a way :D

Last edited:
This is exactly what I said. Cooking is the leading cause. Little of it has to do with using gas however.

This is just flat out wrong. Not only would it be extremely hard to start a cooking fire with a electric-resistance glass cooktop, it would be essentially impossible with induction. Perhaps only the old-school electric coil ranges would be of any risk, and even that would be minimal compared to an OPEN FLAME.

This is just flat out wrong. Not only would it be extremely hard to start a cooking fire with a resistance electric cooktop, it would be essentially impossible with induction. Perhaps only the old-school electric coil ranges would be of any risk, and even that would be minimal compared to an OPEN FLAME.

I wish the NFPA broke down the cooking method. It's safe to assume 0% were from induction but hard to say what percent was from resistance electric aside from almost certainly MUCH less than from gas.

That is what I said. We are not in disagreement
This is just flat out wrong. Not only would it be extremely hard to start a cooking fire with a electric-resistance glass cooktop, it would be essentially impossible with induction. Perhaps only the old-school electric coil ranges would be of any risk, and even that would be minimal compared to an OPEN FLAME.
You have a habit of taking one sentence out of an entire paragraph and misleading others with what I stated in order to make it appear that I am wrong and your are correct. This is why every single time I had to reply back with "that is exactly what I said".

Let's not forget to include the last sentence from my statement as well as all of the other important information that adds more clarity to the one sentence that you misinterpreted

...Yes, gas cooktops will more likely lead to fires than induction, that of course is true

That is what I said. We are not in disagreement

You have a habit of taking one sentence out of an entire paragraph and misleading others with what I stated in order to make it appear that I am wrong and your are correct. This is why every single time I had to reply back with "that is exactly what I said".

Let's not forget to include the last sentence from my statement as well as all of the other important information that adds more clarity to the one sentence that you misinterpreted

There's a difference between 'less likely' and 'almost impossible'. Induction takes the risk of fire to ~0.

Reactions: scottf200
There's a difference between 'less likely' and 'almost impossible'. Induction takes the risk of fire to ~0.
For the stove directly, I completely agree. But like I stated in the post many fires are not directly a result of the flame or heating element ignition. They are from the food our cooking substance itself. So yes, it is less likely as carelessness, grease fires, etc. can still happen on induction. Of course the heating element itself in an induction won't start a fire like those of an electric cooktop or flame

For the stove directly, I completely agree. But like I stated in the post many fires are not directly a result of the flame or heating element ignition. They are from the food our cooking substance itself. So yes, it is less likely as carelessness, grease fires, etc. can still happen on induction. Of course the heating element itself in an induction won't start a fire like those of an electric cooktop or flame

How? There is nothing associated with an induction stove that gets hot enough for ignition. It's the fire triangle. Heat, Fuel and Oxygen. With induction you simply don't have enough heat for ignition. What exactly do you think will start the fire?

Reactions: Big Earl and msm859
How? There is nothing associated with an induction stove that gets hot enough for ignition. It's the fire triangle. Heat, Fuel and Oxygen. With induction you simply don't have enough heat for ignition. What exactly do you think will start the fire?
Overheated foods can get hot enough to catch fire even without an open flame or glowing heating element. So the few fires that do occur on induction stove tops are the result of the items themselves getting too hot. Many induction stoves have built in safety features that stop the cooking when the item gets too hot though. But I think we are more arguing over semantics between "not likely" and "nearly impossible"

But with all of this stated, we drifted away from my main point addressing the "poisoning" as a safety issue to fire risk. To where now we appear to be arguing over irrelevant differences between very little and almost none.

I think this has run its course so I will no longer be replying unless it is just an issue of clarity or correction.