Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction Stoves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your gas stove is polluting your own home. Go electric | Brady Seals

The gas in our stoves is mostly methane, a short-lived but super-potent greenhouse gas with 100 times the climate-warming harm of carbon dioxide over a 10-year timeframe. When burned, methane converts to carbon dioxide, and burning gas in buildings for heating, cooling and cooking is responsible for about a tenth of the United States’ carbon emissions. Burning natural gas also generates toxic pollutants in our homes, including nitrogen oxides. As documented in Health Effects from Gas Stove Pollution – a report I co-authored – these pollutants are implicated in a host of respiratory ailments. Gas stoves can produce air pollution levels indoors that would be illegal outdoors.

Electric stoves have a bad reputation to people who remember the coils of resistance stoves, which heated slowly and were not very responsive. But today we have a much better option: induction stoves. Powered by magnets, this new technology does everything that gas can, and also heats faster than gas and allows more precise temperature control.

Your gas stove is polluting your own home. Go electric | Brady Seals

The gas in our stoves is mostly methane, a short-lived but super-potent greenhouse gas with 100 times the climate-warming harm of carbon dioxide over a 10-year timeframe. When burned, methane converts to carbon dioxide, and burning gas in buildings for heating, cooling and cooking is responsible for about a tenth of the United States’ carbon emissions. Burning natural gas also generates toxic pollutants in our homes, including nitrogen oxides. As documented in Health Effects from Gas Stove Pollution – a report I co-authored – these pollutants are implicated in a host of respiratory ailments. Gas stoves can produce air pollution levels indoors that would be illegal outdoors.

Electric stoves have a bad reputation to people who remember the coils of resistance stoves, which heated slowly and were not very responsive. But today we have a much better option: induction stoves. Powered by magnets, this new technology does everything that gas can, and also heats faster than gas and allows more precise temperature control.
The last of the gas (heating and tankless water heater) has been removed from my house. Heatpump and electric tankless water heater now operational.

The last of the gas (heating and tankless water heater) has been removed from my house. Heatpump and electric tankless water heater now operational.
ASIDE: happy to take this off line too.
Curious about your electrical subpanel number of circuits (breakers) as we are designing our next house?
Can you describe yours please? (and/or picts)?

A) Here is what my kids heatpump and backup resistance heater support looks like in his panel -- SIX 240v slots:

240v 30a using 2 slots : Heat pump
240v 60a using 2 slots : Fan Coil Electric Heater (temps 32F)

Article related to needing the backup resistance fan coils: Will a Heat Pump Work in Cold Weather? - Minneapolis Saint Paul Plumbing Heating Air
----------------------------
B) Also what about your electric tankless. One I'm looking at use FOUR 240v slots. 40a * 2 circuits.

240v 80a using 4 slots : Electric Tankless Water Heater (eg. Stiebel Eltron Tempra 20)

SaB3A8g.jpg

EFLGJem.jpg

ASIDE: happy to take this off line too.
Curious about your electrical subpanel number of circuits (breakers) as we are designing our next house?
Can you describe yours please? (and/or picts)?

A) Here is what my kids heatpump and backup resistance heater support looks like in his panel -- SIX 240v slots:

240v 30a using 2 slots : Heat pump

Article related to needing the backup resistance fan coils: Will a Heat Pump Work in Cold Weather? - Minneapolis Saint Paul Plumbing Heating Air
----------------------------
B) Also what about your electric tankless. One I'm looking at use FOUR 240v slots. 40a * 2 circuits.

240v 80a using 4 slots : Electric Tankless Water Heater (eg. Stiebel Eltron Tempra 20)

SaB3A8g.jpg

EFLGJem.jpg
I just upgraded to a 400 amp service. Because it's an older house, there are multiple sub-panels. The tankless water heater is Stiebel, like yours but the 36 model rather than the 20. The heatpump is American Standard 20 Seer. EDIT: I see the labels are wrong. The exterior is also a 200 amp. the quick disconnect box shown on the exterior is 400 amp.

Attachments

• Exterior.jpg
    Exterior.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Interior_200_amp.jpg
    Interior_200_amp.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Master_breaker_200.jpg
    Master_breaker_200.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Tesla_14-50.jpg
    Tesla_14-50.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 200_amp_w_surge_protector.jpg
    200_amp_w_surge_protector.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Heat_pump_specs.jpg
    Heat_pump_specs.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Heat_pump.jpg
    Heat_pump.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Leaf_Laundry_100_amp.jpg
    Leaf_Laundry_100_amp.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 200_amp_closeup.jpg
    200_amp_closeup.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Exterior_400_amp.jpg
    Exterior_400_amp.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

o_O
Tried looking up to see what their minimum delivery fee is without luck.

Before we disconnected from PG&E NG a few years ago, it was a few $/mo to stay connected and still be 100% electric (and nearly a wash with the CA "climate credit" that was paid separately to electric and NG customers).

If only a few $/mo, might make more sense for Oklahoma Natural Gas customers making the change to 100% electric to remain "connected" and eat that fee until a possible political wind change.

Tried looking up to see what their minimum delivery fee is without luck.

Before we disconnected PG&E NG a few years ago, it was a few $/mo (and nearly a wash with the CA "climate credit" that was paid separately to electric and NG customers).

If only a few $/mo, might make more sense for Oklahoma Natural Gas customers making the change to 100% electric to eat that fee until a hopeful political wind change.

My monthly fee was $14 IIRC. Still remember the phone call to those bastards 7 years ago. My one regret is that I only had one gas service to disconnect.

The fee can't go into effect until ~June so anyone in Oklahoma should get out while they can.

o_O

In an open market, the spike in the cost of the natural gas would have been passed on to consumers so it would already have been a debt on their account based on their energy use.

By making it an exit fee they're creating the illusion of there being an extra cost to pay to get out.
But in effect they already owe the money. It's just part of the cost of using natural gas.

PS Last winter all the focus was on Texas' problems, but everywhere north was hit hard.

• Disagree
Reactions: mspohr and CyberGus