Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This is great news for those concerned with the size of the trunk opening. The current design is not a dealbreaker for me, but I'd certainly welcome a larger opening. It's wonderful that Tesla (by way of Elon) is actively listening to its customers' suggestions to improve the design and make the Model 3 even more functional/usable. Hopefully, this change won't have a significant impact on the production schedule, but I think it will be worth in the end.

The question is; when will people get their cars? And will people's patience run out?
Tesla have showed they can deliver, just not on time.
Yet all they have to do is deliver 1 model 3 in 2017...
I'm not worried. Actually, I was quite impressed that they gave test rides at the unveil and showed 3 cars on stage. Wasn't it rumored not too long ago that only drawings of the Model 3 will be shown?

The unveil got me very encouraged that TM has the capability to produce these cars very rapidly from what the prototypes show. Already they've come a long way nearly 2 years ahead of production release!

Chances are that the employees will be getting their cars in 2017, so employees and and existing owners from the GP should have a good chance. It's everyone else that has to wait till 2018.

This is the most likely scenario in my IMO. Beta test with friendly's is most welcome actually (Sig owners know of what I speak)! Quickest, least expensive, and most discrete way to work out early production kinks. Use your own home-base of employees, which are likely getting a subsidy/discount. They will submit trouble tickets, be intimately involved in finding solutions, and are infinitely more patient awaiting repairs then the general client-base. Genius!

The only thing I worry about with fabric seats vs faux leather is the ease of cleaning, especially with kids or dog hair that likes to penetrate through and stick to cloth.

I had the same worry when I ordered my Wrangler about 20 months ago. I decided to go with Cloth and have a dog and 2 kids (3 & 1), so far so good. And that includes several topless/doorless nights. As far as I can tell the cloth isn't any better than it would be in the Model 3.

Alcantara is made from oil and it's carbon neutral. You can't say so much for leather. As an added bonus, it's not slippery and it won't burn you in the summer.
Carbon Neutrality | Alcantara
Very cool. I didn't realize that. I was talking about the seat material more specifically, since we weren't comparing Alcantara to leather headliners. But I'm glad to know this.. appreciate it.

My previous reply upthread wasn't meant to take sides on the economics/ethics/environmental impact argument of whether animal byproducts or a synthetic substitute should be used for car seats (there are already several threads dedicated to discussing this subject). Personally, I prefer fabric seats because they are comfortable in hot or cold, I don't slide around in them, are easy to care for, and durable. And, in the context of this discussion, they are also a "vegan" option without being declaratively so. To me, faux leather is like faux meat: I love vegetables and grains as they are, so I don't need or want them to pretend to be meat in appearance or texture.

As someone who hunts, and has a gluten allergy. I 100% agree with you.

I'm not worried. Actually, I was quite impressed that they gave test rides at the unveil and showed 3 cars on stage. Wasn't it rumored not too long ago that only drawings of the Model 3 will be shown?

The unveil got me very encouraged that TM has the capability to produce these cars very rapidly from what the prototypes show. Already they've come a long way nearly 2 years ahead of production release!

A crazy idea/thought crossed my mind yesterday: what if production of Model 3 will start much earlier than everybody expects? What if "Part 2" of the reveal is actually the full production version, timed to coincide with "time to configure your Model 3". And what if this "Part 2" reveal is actually still in 2016, with deliveries starting not at the end of 2017 but at the beginning? Couldn't that be Elon's final irony towards all the traditional carmakers that when it comes to their most important model, Tesla not only meets its goals but far exceeds them? Perhaps that was why Elon was having so much fun when talking about his "hopes to meet the 2017 delivery schedule".

I mean, think about it, really, they seem to be very far along with Model 3.
They have gained a lot of production experience over the years.
Gigafactory 1 is partly oparational already
Model 3 doesn't have Falcon Wing doors or other fancy stuff to complicate production (even the large glass roof doesn't seem too much of a problem).
And the changes to the interior between the prototypes and the production version don't have to be too substantial either to meet Elon's statement of "feeling like a spaceship". Add a HUD (which really isn't all that of an expensive component any longer) plus that funky steering wheel from that concept sketch, and voilà.

Perhaps that was why Elon was having so much fun when talking about his "hopes to meet the 2017 delivery schedule".
Elon was giggling because he's aware of his track record of being late all the time. But note that at the M3 unveil he was on time - and that's a first. I interpret it as a statement that this time around there won't be any delays.

As far as being production ready by part 2 I wish that would be the case, however Elon clearly said that it would take place nearer to production. Also I interpret 'next level' as not being the same as 'final level'.

I think the biggest part of the equation is how quickly is the Gigafactory producing the batteries. IF the factory is running at close to full capacity MAYBE the Model 3 will start rolling in 2017. Remember, the SOURCE of the batteries isn't supposed to be up and running until 2017. Fingers crossed the Gigafactory doesn't have any setbacks!

Take 'em to school boyee!

(What does the new avatar mean?)

elontweet.PNG