Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about that. I flew a Cirrus SR 20 for several years and it had a side mounted control stick. It was odd at first but once you got used to it, it was very natural and opened up the entire space directly in front of the pilot.

Dan

cirrus sr20 interior - Bing images

I don't think Tesla is going to put controls in this car that require drivers to essentially re-learn how to steer it. That would be a huge mistake, and I think they are smarter than that.

I don't think Tesla is going to put controls in this car that require drivers to essentially re-learn how to steer it. That would be a huge mistake, and I think they are smarter than that.

Never said they would, just was responding to an opinion that a wheel was the best way to control a vehicle. I agree, I don't see this coming to a car near you. Although...it really doesn't require relearning how you drive, just different muscles. It actually becomes very natural very quickly.

Dan

Definitely a lot of HUD.
For steering nothing seems better than a wheel. Otherwise very sensitive.
Does anyone know when reveal 2 is planned?
Tesla has stated that the second reveal will be closer to launch. If that holds true, that means we have well over a year before reveal 2. Of course Elon is probably going to feed us some tidbits from time to time as we now know that Ludicris mode will be an option. You guys know how to work this tweet thing(still have no clue what that is) so maybe you can strategically get some more info from him.

If Tesla was going to provide a different type of control, it wouldn't be in the mass produced model 3. This is one of the few items I could ever imagine that they would trickle down.

The Model 3 is going to be Geared towards everyone being a passenger, not primarily around the driver. Who ever gets in a BMW M3 and wants to be the Passanger?

I don't know about that. I flew a Cirrus SR 20 for several years and it had a side mounted control stick.

When do you have to do a three point turn in a plane? Or avoid a skunk in the road? Car steering wheels need to be both sensitive to fine adjustments, AND capable of large ones. Plus (I think) they still need a mechanical steering linkage.

Thank you kindly.

When do you have to do a three point turn in a plane? Or avoid a skunk in the road? Car steering wheels need to be both sensitive to fine adjustments, AND capable of large ones. Plus (I think) they still need a mechanical steering linkage.

Thank you kindly.

A side stick is every bit as sensitive as a wheel. Actually probably more so. I was not saying this is what should be in the Model 3. I was just responding to the statement that a wheel was the best form of control for steering. No reason autos can't be fly by wire someday, like many planes are now. Mechanical linkages are cumbersome, heavy and prone to failure from time to time. Not saying it needs to happen now or even 20 years from now, just saying that there are better ways out there.

Why do you need to spin a negative context to virtually every post you make? There are other opinions out there other than yours. Some may actually be better! Question and answer and real dialogue don't need to take on a such a confrontational vibe.

Thank you kindly.

Dan

Last edited:
A side stick is every bit as sensitive as a wheel. Actually probably more so.

You missed my point. It needs to be both sensitive AND cover a large range. How can you do that with stick, and mechanical linkage? In other words what is the steering ratio you can achieve with the stick?

Mechanical linkage is required for legal reasons (hopefully that will change) But with fly by wire, you could clearly make it speed sensitive.

Thank you kindly.

p.s. No negative context implied. Perhaps you are reading too much into it. If your opinion is better, show it; I would be happy to change my mind.

You missed my point. It needs to be both sensitive AND cover a large range. How can you do that with stick, and mechanical linkage? In other words what is the steering ratio you can achieve with the stick?

Mechanical linkage is required for legal reasons (hopefully that will change) But with fly by wire, you could clearly make it speed sensitive.

Thank you kindly.

p.s. No negative context implied. Perhaps you are reading too much into it. If your opinion is better, show it; I would be happy to change my mind.

Never said it was better, just different. Never said it would be implemented or should be implemented just that it was another possibility.

I agree with Topher. Steering a car needs to be both sensitive for direct effect and have long range, to get a small turning circle.
The most sensitive steering wheel I personally know, in the Citroën SM = 1,5 turns from max. left to max. right, is on the edge of manageability and you have to get used to it. And even that you could never do with a yoke. Much less, what a stick would be, is unmanageable in a car.
The most probable explanation is a steering wheel with a transparent top part. Anyway, drawings are just that...

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
The steering wheel could end up looking like the tesla "T" curved at the top with a very tight turning radius that doesn't require much more than 25% turning from left or right..Instead of the instrument cluster how about a hologram above the dashboard..

Thank you kindly.

I'd like to add that part of it might be coming from your use of the phrase "thank you kindly" after every post. It's lile you're thanking the other person for providing you an opportunity to display your intelligence and correct them. This is just an online forum; I would drop the phrase.

I'd like to add that part of it might be coming from your use of the phrase "thank you kindly" after every post. It's lile you're thanking the other person for providing you an opportunity to display your intelligence and correct them. This is just an online forum; I would drop the phrase.

I find it remarkable that people take simple politeness as somehow rude. I like to thank people for providing stimulating conversation on topics that I enjoy. Are people really that insecure that just being thanked makes them feel inferior? Since, as you say, I use it after every post, even those where I agree with people, attributing it to a desire to thank them for the opportunity to correct them must be on their side, not mine.

If I present a contradictory position, one has a couple of options a) argue why one is right, and convince me, b) agree that one is wrong and increase one's knowledge base, c) feel bad. Why would anyone choose c over a or b? If one merely wants to avoid being corrected in public, the solution would seem simple.

Thank you kindly.

I find it remarkable that people take simple politeness as somehow rude. I like to thank people for providing stimulating conversation on topics that I enjoy.
Unfortunately, when read, while it doesn't sound rude to me, it does sound as if you are being supercilious.

I find it remarkable that people take simple politeness as somehow rude. I like to thank people for providing stimulating conversation on topics that I enjoy. Are people really that insecure that just being thanked makes them feel inferior? Since, as you say, I use it after every post, even those where I agree with people, attributing it to a desire to thank them for the opportunity to correct them must be on their side, not mine.

If I present a contradictory position, one has a couple of options a) argue why one is right, and convince me, b) agree that one is wrong and increase one's knowledge base, c) feel bad. Why would anyone choose c over a or b? If one merely wants to avoid being corrected in public, the solution would seem simple.

Thank you kindly.
I accept your statement of intent to be polite in your sign off. The world needs more polite. Also, a spirited discourse should enlighten us all. A contrarian view well presented enriches…but alas, seems to threaten some. I viewed your sign off as a bit odd- an attribute that lets your personality stand out from others…but not offensive. My opinion…please continue to be yourself and express yourself as you see fit - be it polite or contrarian or neither.