Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Information regarding the Model 3 sound system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a chance to listen to audio a bit in the S, X, and 3

Just giving some vague descriptions since I didn't listen long enough or to enough variety to have a very strong opinion, but:

Model S: OK
Model X: Amazing
Model 3 w/PUP: Very nice

Not bad for the price, but I think the best is still reserved for the X.
I'd be interested in any other details or opinions you could provide on the Model3 PUP audio system you heard. Or if not, maybe just say the same thing over and over 4 different ways.

I'm with you. Radio audio Quality bites and never plays what you want to hear.
Streaming is just as bad in terms of audio quality. Not to mention, why would people pay for music?! Makes no sense. You download music and you still want to pay a monthly fee for music?!
Everything I ever want to listen too is on my phone. Majority in full lossless format.

You should pay for music the same reason you should pay for anything else- because people worked hard to create it. Why not just steal a Tesla? Both are illegal. Your logic doesn't make sense.

You should pay for music the same reason you should pay for anything else- because people worked hard to create it. Why not just steal a Tesla? Both are illegal. Your logic doesn't make sense.

I meant people pay to download their music. And on top of that they want to pay a monthly subscription to stream audio?? That makes no sense.
Sorry for the confusion.

I meant people pay to download their music. And on top of that they want to pay a monthly subscription to stream audio?? That makes no sense.
Sorry for the confusion.

ooh that makes much more sense now :) I completely agree. I like Spotify Premium because they stream in 320kbps. It's not lossless but in most car stereos, the difference between 320 and lossless is difficult to distinguish.

I'd be interested in any other details or opinions you could provide on the Model3 PUP audio system you heard. Or if not, maybe just say the same thing over and over 4 different ways.

Not sure what you mean by the "4 different ways" comment. Also, I was trying not to say very much because it was such limited time in each vehicle, I didn't form a strong opinion.
If someone is twisting my arm, I will say that Model X sounded a bit more "bright" and "punchy" compared to the others. But that may not be what everyone wants in an audio system, and everything depends on type of music and listener preference.

Hey chewy -grow a real beard like Merlin-that beard looks like grizzly adams.
I'm a nerd so no I'm not wasting time. You're just not an audiophile like most of us.
Thanks for the compliment! I relate much better to the mountain man than the wizard.

Heck they can leave the speakers, stereo, all electric gizmos and much more out of my car. I don't care for cow bells. AP-nope don't want it-won't pay for it. P or L - don't want it. Only thing I might want is winter package - maybe hud if it is extra, but I think it is included in standard. Other than that-nada.

Make your own. I made my own server to play 43tb of music. Have dragon software (play on linux) with speechmic. I can boot it up and play what I want and never have a disc/cd/ipod/etc. I don't even need the radio. I can add songs by wifi. Have a sound board inside to connect to amps. The server fits under the seat and speechmic cable in console. I would never use another radio as long as I live. Control it using chrome cast is my next step. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the speechmic and just use my phone, but in Linux easier said than done. Having issues with bluetooth compatibility. My whole system is around 20k nearly all music purchases. It's in the p90d right now. I'll need another for the 100d on order. I'll probably clone it, but the server alone will cost me 5-7k. Tesla sound system just won't be good enough for me. I like the dual 16" subs freeair lows and quad 10" mids also freeair and oct 6" highs custom installed. All have crossovers with 100hz overlap on frequency bands on 10 bar eq. Cartronics helped me with installation ("one of the best overall custom sound systems ever experienced in an automobile"). For the display just velcro an 8 inch screen to dash mini hdmi socket. disconnect the cable -take the screen and away it goes. When you're on the road as much as I am-it's heavenly to be able to hear what you want when you want and how you want. I could play movies easily too but that'd be distracting plus I love to drive anyways.

you're complaining about 1000.00 or a deposit?
Jeez. I put a 30k paint job on my model S. Gold.
Chrome is 50k-major pain to deal with.
Why do you want silver anyways? 15% of all cars are silver in the north.
Thanks for always giving me a good laugh reading the crazy sh*t you post lol.

ON TOPIC: Anyone know if the M3 has any kind of built in storage to download Spotify playlists? I know you can download songs to a desktop or mobile device, but if you're streaming from either of those via Bluetooth you run into quality loss issue again.

Last edited:
My point is that if you're in a poor cell area, you will not be streaming anything via the cell network. Downloading music in advance is not streaming.

Kapish?

I'm not sure where you live, but basically everywhere I go I have cell service. For road trips, obviously there are stretches without service. That's why you either (1) have a road trip playlist that is downloaded or (2) since most road trips require minimal planning, add "save offline music" to that checklist. Again, these are very simple solutions and have been working for me and millions of users like this for years.

I'm not sure where you live, but basically everywhere I go I have cell service. For road trips, obviously there are stretches without service. That's why you either (1) have a road trip playlist that is downloaded or (2) since most road trips require minimal planning, add "save offline music" to that checklist. Again, these are very simple solutions and have been working for me and millions of users like this for years.
Right. Simpler than including AM or XM. You're entitled to your opinion.

Not sure what you mean by the "4 different ways" comment. Also, I was trying not to say very much because it was such limited time in each vehicle, I didn't form a strong opinion.
If someone is twisting my arm, I will say that Model X sounded a bit more "bright" and "punchy" compared to the others. But that may not be what everyone wants in an audio system, and everything depends on type of music and listener preference.
My "4 different ways" comment was just meant to be a silly joke that if you didn't have any other opinions to share, that I would settle for you saying the same things over and over 4 different ways - just because I'm dying for any info at all on this topic. I hope it didn't come across as a jab at you or about something already said.