Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment upgrade hurt acceleration and suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 on a 2017 Model S 90D.

Good news? We have Netflix and Sentry Mode!

Bad news? Acceleration is slow off a traffic light stop and the smart air suspension is now bumpy and wobbly.

Before the upgrade the acceleration was fast and the smart air suspension was like riding on a cloud.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

I can't imagine any way that the mechanical functionality of the suspension or motor performance would be linked to a MCU upgrade, other than that you haven't changed your settings back to what they were before.

The air suspension is just a bag and a pump - MCU can't make it be anything different. Same idea behind the drive system.

So, question would be - are you at the same ride height as before? If you were riding in Low before and are now reset to Standard, that could affect your ride quality......but not the hardware functionality of the suspension.

And same with the acceleration - perhaps you were in "Sport" mode and now you're in "Standard?"

I can't imagine any way that the mechanical functionality of the suspension or motor performance would be linked to a MCU upgrade, other than that you haven't changed your settings back to what they were before.

The air suspension is just a bag and a pump - MCU can't make it be anything different. Same idea behind the drive system.

So, question would be - are you at the same ride height as before? If you were riding in Low before and are now reset to Standard, that could affect your ride quality......but not the hardware functionality of the suspension.

And same with the acceleration - perhaps you were in "Sport" mode and now you're in "Standard?"
Agreement on our end the two seem unrelated and we changed back the settings after the service. Must be an unrelated change made at the shop.

My P85DL was upgraded. No changes. However, several days before the upgrade, I updated my software from v8.1 which was three years old to v10 because I had to replace my charge port which required a firmware update.

My max amps dropped from 1525 to 1500. Technically can't complain since the L upgrade is supposed to be 1500 amps max. But was still a little bummed.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
My P85DL was upgraded. No changes. However, several days before the upgrade, I updated my software from v8.1 which was three years old to v10 because I had to replace my charge port which required a firmware update.

My max amps dropped from 1525 to 1500. Technically can't complain since the L upgrade is supposed to be 1500 amps max. But was still a little bummed.

I hope you won't be shocked with SuC speeds next trip.

Sorry to hear you had to update

You have had a good run with V8 however. Perhaps there are no others on V8?

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
So, what are you getting, same speeds as before, 120Kw peaks? 30-80 % SoC in 30 minutes?

I'm not seeing to that, but happy for anyone else that is...

You apparently haven't followed any of the threads and my many posts in each of them :p

i-52jrN5q-X3.png

Previous max SOC + KW was about 135 low down and 125 at 50%.

Afterwards it's about 110 all the way through. Although I made a recent discovery. If you're on a long trip and you hit a very busy super charger where they want you out as fast as possible, Tesla is upping the max. I've seen it multiple times where I'm getting 125 at 30% and 120 at 50%. That's about half of the difference lost.

The way I've made up for it is that I now leave the house at 100% every time I'm going on a long trip so that the first charge is less time than if I only needed 70% to get to the first supercharger. i.e I'm intentionally beating up on the battery to keep my first stop charge lower duration. Tesla forced me to do it with their cap.

The other thing I'm doing is that whenever we have a long stop where we're eating, rather than run out of the restaurant when I have enough plus a 15% buffer to get the next charger, I just leave it set to 100% on the the trip and reset it from 80 to 100% when Tesla lowers it at busy chargers. It's harder on the battery but it mitigates the next stop time duration.

Additionally, rather than shooting for a 15% buffer, I now shoot for a 5% buffer. It's slightly more risky but now I've done it dozen times and it seems to be fine. In all, we haven't really increased our trip time but we've had to change to behaviors that will dramatically increase degradation. Since I'll be selling the car 6 months before the 8 year warranty expires, I'm fine with it. Too bad Tesla had to force me into it.

You apparently haven't followed any of the threads and my many posts in each of them :p

i-52jrN5q-X3.png

Previous max SOC + KW was about 135 low down and 125 at 50%.

Afterwards it's about 110 all the way through. Although I made a recent discovery. If you're on a long trip and you hit a very busy super charger where they want you out as fast as possible, Tesla is upping the max. I've seen it multiple times where I'm getting 125 at 30% and 120 at 50%. That's about half of the difference lost.

The way I've made up for it is that I now leave the house at 100% every time I'm going on a long trip so that the first charge is less time than if I only needed 70% to get to the first supercharger. i.e I'm intentionally beating up on the battery to keep my first stop charge lower duration. Tesla forced me to do it with their cap.

The other thing I'm doing is that whenever we have a long stop where we're eating, rather than run out of the restaurant when I have enough plus a 15% buffer to get the next charger, I just leave it set to 100% on the the trip and reset it from 80 to 100% when Tesla lowers it at busy chargers. It's harder on the battery but it mitigates the next stop time duration.

Additionally, rather than shooting for a 15% buffer, I now shoot for a 5% buffer. It's slightly more risky but now I've done it dozen times and it seems to be fine. In all, we haven't really increased our trip time but we've had to change to behaviors that will dramatically increase degradation. Since I'll be selling the car 6 months before the 8 year warranty expires, I'm fine with it. Too bad Tesla had to force me into it.

I've read so many posts I forgot who said what!

Recently, I have seen over 100kw at 30%, it was at a busy SuC.

I agree a good approach is to drive the pack down lower. Never been below 23%, but might next trip. Got SMT to check the voltages and max charge and discharge rates.

Charging over 80% turns on the fans and cooling and reduces efficiency, so I don't do that anymore.

My RR is 266, but actual with 25% reserve is half that.

Sorry Tesla is forcing you to sell your car.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
I've read so many posts I forgot who said what!

Recently, I have seen over 100kw at 30%, it was at a busy SuC.

I agree a good approach is to drive the pack down lower. Never been below 23%, but might next trip. Got SMT to check the voltages and max charge and discharge rates.

Charging over 80% turns on the fans and cooling and reduces efficiency, so I don't do that anymore.

My RR is 266, but actual with 25% reserve is half that.

Sorry Tesla is forcing you to sell your car.

I didn't say they were forcing me to sell my car. I said they were forcing me to adopt behaviors that are not optimal for battery health.