Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the fob has to be taken out and a key pressed, then I don't view it as an improvement over the card. If it can stay in a pocket/purse and work like a Prius fob then it is tempting but expensive and subject to man-in-middle thefts.

Tesla has bowed to popular noise but I'm skeptical of the benefit.

I expect "PIN to Drive" will get pushed to Model 3. It's 2-factor auth that is now available on S/X to eliminate the man-in-middle thefts. I've turned back on "passive entry" on our S again after we set the code.

Model 3 used to auto-unlock on phone proximity when it was first released, so pretty sure they can make this work with the fob.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Fobs !!! Fobs !!! We don't need no stinkin' Fobs !!!

I agree, I like using my phone as the key. I still have yet to use the key cards for anything at all. My phone works like a charm, not sure what all the drama and love is about a key FOB. I would rather get rid of all the current keys I have in my pocket and not have to carry them around everywhere it was a move in the right direction in my mind with regards to simplifying my life. The key FOB is a step backwards in my opinion.

If the fob has to be taken out and a key pressed, then I don't view it as an improvement over the card. If it can stay in a pocket/purse and work like a Prius fob then it is tempting but expensive and subject to man-in-middle thefts.

Tesla has bowed to popular noise but I'm skeptical of the benefit.

While you can never be truly certain of being immune to MITM attacks, and the older fob system on the older S vehicles was susceptible to it, I am not aware of any such successes against the BLE system that the X uses, and now the S uses, and soon the 3 will use.

It shouldn't be any more or less likely to be MITM than the BLE based phone-as-key, either.

So while older fob systems were potential MITM targets, the BLE systems are more secure and the phone vs fob should be roughly similar risks. I'm sure eventually someone will produce a widespread MITM for stealing / breaking into such BLE based vehicles, but it hasn't happened yet AFAIK.

I understand but it's an abomination to consider "Chill Mode" and "Test Drive" in the same sentence.

It's like evaluating a bottle of wine based on the empty glass.

Worse than that. It’d be a vegan grading a steak.

My moronic vegetarian roommate wondered how anyone can stand bacon with how bad it smells. Told him he never tried so no basis to compare it to anything. It’s like listening to a 2D being discuss the Z axis.

• Love
Reactions: run-the-joules
I suppose I'm in the minority? My phone works perfectly to open the car, sometimes I still need to use the app or the screen to unlock the charge port but rarely. That said I probably would get a fob for the times it has to be left someplace like service or someone else needs to drive it as it seems less likely to be lost vs the car key thing.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte and TT97
I agree, I like using my phone as the key. I still have yet to use the key cards for anything at all. My phone works like a charm, not sure what all the drama and love is about a key FOB. I would rather get rid of all the current keys I have in my pocket and not have to carry them around everywhere it was a move in the right direction in my mind with regards to simplifying my life. The key FOB is a step backwards in my opinion.

Agree. I’ve gotten rid of every key other than the car key. The model 3 completed that process and it’s great not having to have another item in my pocket or something to lose/forget. Phone is on me 24/7, so I’m happy to use it.

If free I’ll take a fob but just leave it at home.

Reactions: cizUK and bandwagon
Agree. I’ve gotten rid of every key other than the car key. The model 3 completed that process and it’s great not having to have another item in my pocket or something to lose/forget. Phone is on me 24/7, so I’m happy to use it.

If free I’ll take a fob but just leave it at home.

My phone doesn't work 100% (more like 75%), but I will probably still use the phone instead of the keyfob. I will take the keyfob though because it probably use the same 2032 battery as other Tesla keyfobs.. and my Model X keyfobs are almost 1 year old.. probably need a battery replacement... $3 saved! :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz