Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want it for summon. Summon is absolutely horrible using the phone.

Yeah summon is horrible with the phone app especially if it is to move in/out of your garage. The reason is that summon on app needs internet reception on Both the phone and the car. And when the car started moving in/out of the garage... it is switching between LTE and WiFi losing connection. Same with the phone. Also it needs your phone GPS location. It just needed too many conditions to work.

I want it for summon. Summon is absolutely horrible using the phone.
Yeah - the ONE time I demo'd it, it failed with a Proximity sensor alert. Of course, that happened after I had summoned it partially out of its parking spot and was trying to reverse it back in. So I had to get in it to do it. I had never tried Summon at that point, I was just showing the car to some coworkers, and they asked me if I could summon it.

The app should have used the paired BLE to do it, instead of requiring internet. If it were doing that, it would know you're in proximity of the BLE... Anyway, hoping the fobs can summon too.

Yeah - the ONE time I demo'd it, it failed with a Proximity sensor alert. Of course, that happened after I had summoned it partially out of its parking spot and was trying to reverse it back in. So I had to get in it to do it. I had never tried Summon at that point, I was just showing the car to some coworkers, and they asked me if I could summon it.

The app should have used the paired BLE to do it, instead of requiring internet. If it were doing that, it would know you're in proximity of the BLE... Anyway, hoping the fobs can summon too.
I'm hoping with the fob it'll work the same way as the S and X. I gave up on using summon because it's so bad with the phone.

Quote from the article: “Tesla has confirmed that the key fob will be included with future Model 3 purchases...”

I would not assume that is true just because an anonymous writer at InsideEVs says it is. Find me an official statement from Tesla (not from an employee in a Tesla showroom or Service Center) and I’ll believe it.

See Tesla starts rolling out Model 3 key fob to lucky few owners

Quote from that article: “Tesla’s upcoming new 2018.42 software update comes with changes to support the new Model 3 key fob”.

And this quote from Tesla’s release notes for that software update: “Your car now supports key fobs, which are available for purchase from Tesla.”

No indication yet that Tesla will be including Model 3 key fobs, at no additional charge, with new Model 3’s. It is clear that they will be available for sale.

When the fob is actually available, I will go place my order. Just did an extensive test drive today. Performance, dual motor model in Chill Mode. Still a fine car to drive.
Robin

The key fob is the thing holding you back from ordering one? Seems a small detail in the grand scheme of things considering they’ve announced you’ll be able to get one in the near future/on new cars right?

The key fob is the thing holding you back from ordering one? Seems a small detail in the grand scheme of things considering they’ve announced you’ll be able to get one in the near future/on new cars right?
I have a really low tolerance for bad design. It would bother me every time I walked up to the car and it failed to do what it was supposed to do. Actually, it would bother me every time I walked up to the car wondering if it would work, whether it did or not. Should be a simple fix. My NEMA 14/50 and I can wait.
Robin

I have a really low tolerance for bad design. It would bother me every time I walked up to the car and it failed to do what it was supposed to do. Actually, it would bother me every time I walked up to the car wondering if it would work, whether it did or not. Should be a simple fix. My NEMA 14/50 and I can wait.
Robin

Have you tried your phone as a key yet? The design works perfect and every time for me with iPhone X.

Don’t knock it till you try it.

Reactions: DR61 and PeterK
phone as a key works pretty good, but summon works like one out of 10 times with my phone. Typically it cannot connect to the car. I thought this feature was gimmicky but I find it useful for pulling out of my garage when it works. Usually it takes over 10 minutes before I can get it to work. Does the phone need to be on the same wifi network as the car?

Reactions: PeterK
Robin

Does the key card not function as anticipated? I understand the phone, but doesn’t the key card work every time?

phone as a key works pretty good, but summon works like one out of 10 times with my phone. Typically it cannot connect to the car. I thought this feature was gimmicky but I find it useful for pulling out of my garage when it works. Usually it takes over 10 minutes before I can get it to work. Does the phone need to be on the same wifi network as the car?
I always turn off WiFi before opening the Tesla app, and it seems to wake up and be summon ready almost immediately, as compared to if I keep WiFi on it is pretty unreliable.

Does the key card not function as anticipated? I understand the phone, but doesn’t the key card work every time?

The key card is horrible. Having to fish something out of your wallet, swipe it on the B pillar, then swipe it on the center console ever freaking time you want to drive the car is just horrible.

Don't tout it till you've tried it. I have, and it sucked.

The key card is horrible. Having to fish something out of your wallet, swipe it on the B pillar, then swipe it on the center console ever freaking time you want to drive the car is just horrible.

Don't tout it till you've tried it. I have, and it sucked.

I plan on using my iPhone rather than the key card, and admittedly I have not used anything yet as my car is still on order. Have heard some shortcomings over these things but didnt know they were prohibitive. Either way, key fob on its way is a good thing for everyone

Until it works for everyone its simply not a viable option as a primary way to unlock the doors.

It also bothers me heavily that something so simple and MISSION CRITICAL can function so poorly. The only thing that bothers menear as much as my phone not working is the infotainment system.

Its 100% asinine that a tech company like Tesla cannot produce a better infotainment system. All of the Tesla competitors have some phone integration built into them. XM radio, apple carplay, android auto its honestly ridiculous that the hardware is so good and the software so bad.

Look at the latest dash cam feature and how terrible it works for 90% of people. I know they will eventually fix it, but why release it at all if its so buggy and frustrating? Over the air updates sound cool until the manufacturer takes this as license to treat the customers as Beta testers. Now they dont even have to fully test updateds because the expectation is set that new updates will always be buggy. Us as consumers have accepted this, but cars used to be better tested than our phones or Operating systems.

Now days its release now, patch later and it reduces the quality of the customer experience.