Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@voip-ninja: My solution:

tesla_keychain.jpg

I've been using this setup since day one. Have not bothered to assign my phone to the car. Hopefully this will do for me until the fob arrives. No need to "whip it out of my wallet", but yes, I do have to take it out of my pocket. 90% of the time I'm sitting in the car, buckled up, within the time limit allowed so no need to "badge in". The other 10% it's easy enough to put the keycard behind the cupholders, step on the brake and then slide the card into the cupholder. It has worked for me 100% of the time. My only real complaint is that if I need to open the passenger-side doors, I have to go over to the driver side first. The fob should eliminate this problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
@voip-ninja: My solution:

View attachment 346546

I've been using this setup since day one. Have not bothered to assign my phone to the car. Hopefully this will do for me until the fob arrives. No need to "whip it out of my wallet", but yes, I do have to take it out of my pocket. 90% of the time I'm sitting in the car, buckled up, within the time limit allowed so no need to "badge in". The other 10% it's easy enough to put the keycard behind the cupholders, step on the brake and then slide the card into the cupholder. It has worked for me 100% of the time. My only real complaint is that if I need to open the passenger-side doors, I have to go over to the driver side first. The fob should eliminate this problem.

That is such a step backwards from a traditional keyless entry setup I don't even know where to begin.

Glad it's working for you, but, just kill me now if I was forced to use such a cumbersome method to get into $60K+ car.

The key card is horrible. Having to fish something out of your wallet, swipe it on the B pillar, then swipe it on the center console ever freaking time you want to drive the car is just horrible.

But having to stop, put down what I'm carrying, fish out my wallet, remove a card, tap it just so, then reverse the procedure is a major, major step backwards in first principles functionality over a key fob that stays in my pocket and the car simply opens.
From the majority of posts I've seen you don't need to remove the card from your wallet. Unless you have a particularly thick wallet or something in it interfering with the card it should work fine through it. No, it's not as easy as a working phone solution or a FOB but it shouldn't be as cumbersome as you say, at least it isn't for most people.

Reactions: hoang51
From the majority of posts I've seen you don't need to remove the card from your wallet. Unless you have a particularly thick wallet or something in it interfering with the card it should work fine through it. No, it's not as easy as a working phone solution or a FOB but it shouldn't be as cumbersome as you say, at least it isn't for most people.

Don't you need to hold the key card up to the B pillar?

Even if you've found the magic combination of wallet thinness, wallet material, absence of interfering objects, denim/non-denim pants (and what about those of use who use purses?), and, of course, posture (front, back, sideways), you still have to remove the thing and place it in the right spot in the cabin in order to drive away. This is cumbersome at best, and, to my way of thinking, just bad design. Perfectly OK for emergencies. Crappy and retro for everyday use.
That said, if anyone is happy with the setup, you have what you need.
Robin

Reactions: voip-ninja
At that point, I asked if I could also order 2 additional Key Cards and the response was “Absolutlely, and if you’d also like to get a Key Fob we can have Mobile Service bring it out to you on the repair call, it’s $15 if you’d like to add it.”

while i still think it should be free for current owners (especially those of us who have never been able to get phone key to work reliably), i can't really complain about $15. i'd still ask for them to comp it considering they have documented evidence of my phone key issues, but if they refuse at least it's priced reasonably. $100+ would be a different story...

Reactions: N5329K
Even if you've found the magic combination of wallet thinness, wallet material, absence of interfering objects, denim/non-denim pants (and what about those of use who use purses?), and, of course, posture (front, back, sideways), you still have to remove the thing and place it in the right spot in the cabin in order to drive away. This is cumbersome at best, and, to my way of thinking, just bad design. Perfectly OK for emergencies. Crappy and retro for everyday use.
That said, if anyone is happy with the setup, you have what you need.
Robin

Close but this instead;

If I leave the keycard in my wallet and hold my wallet up to the door pillar will it unlock?

I will give you the fantastic answer of, it depends. I have a non-folding wallet with a clear window on one side for licence. I keep my card in that clear window and hold it to the b-pillar. That does work. I don't know at what amount of "depth" in the wallet it will not work any longer, but I am sure not all wallets and wallet content will be compatible to consistent functioning.

There are lots of RFID-blocking wallets out there. Make sure you don't have an RFID blocking wallet.

I have a folding wallet, and my keycard is in one of the inner pockets. On both sides are tons of cards. Despite that, I can tap my closed wallet on the B pillar, and it always opens.

I would prefer the PIN entry feature (on S/X) over having to place the keycard behind the cupholders. Once the wallet is back in my pocket, I really don't want to take it out while seated. Yes I know if I start the car immediately, I don't need to do that, but often that time expires. Mainly cause I need to make sure the kids are buckled in.

This is what I have..... The Port Wallet should work fine, I hope
77830535-DCEC-45F7-B92D-D4EF4FAA1797.jpeg
There are lots of RFID-blocking wallets out there. Make sure you don't have an RFID blocking wallet.

I have a folding wallet, and my keycard is in one of the inner pockets. On both sides are tons of cards. Despite that, I can tap my closed wallet on the B pillar, and it always opens.

I would prefer the PIN entry feature (on S/X) over having to place the keycard behind the cupholders. Once the wallet is back in my pocket, I really don't want to take it out while seated. Yes I know if I start the car immediately, I don't need to do that, but often that time expires. Mainly cause I need to make sure the kids are buckled in.