Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install Schedule for tomorrow in SoCal - suggestions, guidance, wish me luck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congratulations.

Those tile roofs are really attractive. It's a shame to ruin the looks with those ugly solar panels. I would have had to forego the six panels on the front and just get by with the other 18 which I assume can't be seen from the street.

I'm not familiar with the tile. How did they break them, just walking around?

Yes, tile break when walking on them a certain way... As for the 6 panels on the front, they can only bee seen from the end of my cul-de-sac. Otherwise, when driving up you cannot see.

Good, that roof mount looks a good distance away from your valley.

It looks like they could have added a couple in portrait if they shifted the array slightly. It just bothers me the number of roof sections Tesla seems to install on. At the end of the day it probably doesn't make a difference besides extra pipe being ran around the roof.

View attachment 579255

From what I understand they don't like to install in mixed or portrait mode. We initially asked about doing something like that on our roof to fit more panels. Didn't ask why exactly at that point. Could it have something to do with the way the solar rays hit the panel and how it's intended to work the most efficiently or how connections are made?

Really too bad about the patio cover getting damaged. Is all the damage at the edge that looks dented there? We had some things moved further out from our roofline perimeter (some patio furniture that we thought was far enough away). Easy enough to see how a tool could accidentally slip down the roof and shoot off from it. With your patio structure attached to your house really no way to 100% protect it unfortunately. Thanks for your photos. I was disappointed when we were buying our house that our elevation plan for the unit we got didn't have the curved tiles. Always loved that Spanish/Mediterranean look. But I can see with solar installs it's a tricker install.

Last edited:
From what I understand they don't like to install in mixed or portrait mode. We initially asked about doing something like that on our roof to fit more panels. Didn't ask why exactly at that point. Could it have something to do with the way the solar rays hit the panel and how it's intended to work the most efficiently or how connections are made?

The install Tesla just did on my house has a mix of portrait and landscape on the main front roof.
IMG_20200822_132051_940.jpg

Really too bad about the patio cover getting damaged. Is all the damage at the edge that looks dented there? We had some things moved further out from our roofline perimeter (some patio furniture that we thought was far enough away). Easy enough to see how a tool could accidentally slip down the roof and shoot off from it. With your patio structure attached to your house really no way to 100% protect it unfortunately. Thanks for your photos. I was disappointed when we were buying our house that our elevation plan for the unit we got didn't have the curved tiles. Always loved that Spanish/Mediterranean look. But I can see with solar installs it's a tricker install.

So, I plan on sending my patio installer a text message on Monday to see what they say. My fear is they will have to replace, at minimum one, if not both, headers. I haven't posted a picture of the front of the patio, but it is damaged there as well. The impact caused the front of the header to bow out when the decorative corbell was hit as well...

The lead told me one of the installers was throwing down a broken tile (if I recall) and didn't fling it far enough. This was not an accident per se, but could have been avoided.

My first real Tesla disappointment happened today... No one showed up as promised by my lead for the install. Luckily, I sent him a text at about 10 am inquiring about a timeframe. He was able to look at the scheduling system and saw no one had been assigned. Bummer Tesla is ok with no call, no shows. I may push the issue with my roof getting fixed because as you can see in most of my photos I have exposed roof!!!! Granted, rain is not really in the forecast in the next week or so, however it cools down enough at night that sometimes we get heavy/dense fog - even in the summer.

Quick update, as this seems to be turning into my build/documentation thread.

City/Tesla inspection is set for tomorrow

When I spoke to the inspection coordinator (or whatever his title is) he said he was aware the tiles on my roof still needed to be replaced and said it was common for them to be fixed AFTER inspection, in the even inspector needed to go on roof (fear of breaking more?)

Good and bad news, inspection went well with one exception. Apparently my crew installed shielded ground and code calls for bare copper....

Inspectors getting with my city engineer/planning director to see if the ground will need to be changed out? Any input from those with knowledge?

The good news is the Tesla rep counted all the broken tiles (53) and told me he personally would make sure it got scheduled ASAP because of the exposed roof. Said they are liable for leaving exposed should it rain...

Looks great. Congrats! They layout has me scratching my head, though.

Thanks!

Waiting on SCE to give the green light on PTO... Question for those who have been up and running? Should I install gateway now, or wait til PTO? Also, specifically for SCE folks... Need some help with deciding on which TOU plan to go with. We currently DO NOT have an EV but a Cybertruck reservation (couple years out). As of now, we don't have immediate plans to purchase any other EV (or Tesla for that matter), however, that can always change.

A pool is in our future, but also about a year out. Wife and I have a newborn, 10 year old, and one just starting college. As with everyone else, most are home 80% of the time. Wife and I work the night shift, so at least 3 days out of the week we are sleeping during the day. Pre-Covid and newborn, we were using about 600-700KwH /month roughly (not summer months) with an average of about 10.1KwH yearly

Ideally, we would like to be NET producers with a small true-up bill, at the end of the year... Assuming my 10-year old and college go back to school - after the election - we would fall back to normal use, (as stated above) and would not be using more electricity.

I went with the 5-8. A bit more at peak, but 3 hours vs 5 is much easier to manage. I also installed wifi thermostats so I'll precool the house before 5 pm.

SCE says they will let you change plans at anytime.

You should go ahead and install the gateway. My app didn't work until Tesla recorded the PTO though.

Thanks!

Waiting on SCE to give the green light on PTO... Question for those who have been up and running? Should I install gateway now, or wait till PTO?

I assume you mean the little black gateway box (5" on a side) that talks to the inverters. Go ahead and install it as close to the inverters as you can. From what I understand, they don't penetrate walls that well. I was told to limit it to one wall and 50 or so feet. I put mine inside my garage on the same wall as the inverters which are outside. So far, no issues in communications.

Update!

Tesla claimed they submitted PTO back on 08/27-ish but when I emailed my SA a week later regarding a broken tile I discovered (after they had replaced all the obvious ones), I immediately got an email from SCE saying my application was submitted (09/07) ... less than 24hrs later I had approval from SCE to operate (09/08).

This brings me to my question(s); My gateway has been installed and I am able to view my usage between home/grid however SOLAR is not generating. I am in Beaumont, couple miles from El Dorado fire, and wondering if heavy smoke/ash is the reason for not showing any production? I have followed other threads (Northern Cal primarily) who have 2-3kwh production despite heavy ash/smoke... I imagine I would be in the same boat?

Just wanna make sure I am generating. Also, I ended up installing a Cat6 cable from the ethernet port and plan and hooking to my netwerok for more detailed monitoring through solaredge. Should I request through them or Tesla?

Are you sure that the inverter and everything is turned on? You should have a solid green light if the inverter is producing power and a blinking green light if it’s on but not producing. There are usually a lot of breakers and switches that need to be turned on, so it’s common to miss one as you’re trying to turn the system on.

As far as the solaredge monitoring you need to request the solaredge account through tesla.

Are you sure that the inverter and everything is turned on? You should have a solid green light if the inverter is producing power and a blinking green light if it’s on but not producing. There are usually a lot of breakers and switches that need to be turned on, so it’s common to miss one as you’re trying to turn the system on.

As far as the solaredge monitoring you need to request the solaredge account through tesla.

Brett,

Thanks for the reply. I am 'pretty' certain - My main PV breaker was already left in the "ON" positon, my service disconnect was switched on, and then the inverter switched to the ON position. I am getting a blinking green light, but have not received a solid green.