Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install scheduled! But... Powerwall installation location change $2000 fee?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Powerwall installation location is determined by your installer and code compliance. Requests to alter the preferred install location are subject to a $2,000 fee.

On my layout, the PW are in my garage but not by the wall where I requested when the physical site assessor was here. How "strict" are they on this........? We really don't want to have the PW by where it is in the drawing and it would REALLY suck if they hit us $2k to move it to a different spot in the garage

Where are you getting this 2k fee from? Is that what they told you, or is that just a made up number?

EDIT.. I cant read, I see it in your post now.

If its on the same wall just further down the wall, you likely have no worries. If its on the other side of the garage, you might have an issue...

Where are you getting this 2k fee from? Is that what they told you, or is that just a made up number?

EDIT.. I cant read, I see it in your post now.

If its on the same wall just further down the wall, you likely have no worries. If its on the other side of the garage, you might have an issue...

it was in the email notifying me the install date being scheduled.

The drawing has it on the north side which is an interior wall (next to living area). I requested it in the SW side by the back of 3rd car garage extension which is to an exterior wall AND also a short run to the basement access (MBP in basement). Since it will have a PW+ it need external access for the PV run anyhow?

I dont know Tesla's inner workings on this.... I have read some people say that they have requested the install in a different place, and there was no charge, and others who have had some issues.

I suspect it has to do with how complex the move of stuff is from the location on the plans. Is this the first time you are seeing the location on the plans doesnt match what you expect? If it were me, I think I would want the plans to at least have the same wall shown. Asking them to change it might change scheduling or something, though.

I dont think I would guess, personally, or go by what any of us say here. Thats a lot of money to be guessing with.

I dont know Tesla's inner workings on this.... I have read some people say that they have requested the install in a different place, and there was no charge, and others who have had some issues.

I suspect it has to do with how complex the move of stuff is from the location on the plans. Is this the first time you are seeing the location on the plans doesnt match what you expect? If it were me, I think I would want the plans to at least have the same wall shown. Asking them to change it might change scheduling or something, though.

I dont think I would guess, personally, or go by what any of us say here. Thats a lot of money to be guessing with.

First time they finally send me the 01 drawing was after they submit to permitting. I figured the drawing showing in the garage is close enough, as I was hoping to avoid any additional delay if they change it and have to re-permit. I'm also requesting an exception approval to the local permit which I knew was good for that round of permitting but seriously dont want to have to re-permit again to avoid any chance of error or confusion or someone to change their mind approving the exception.

In my mind if changing to the headwall of the garage where a front bumper typically would impact is not a good place to put them. If your request is to move them there I can see that this would add additional costs. On the side wall is not subject to damage usually, where it's pretty easy to squish something on a headwall. This could require adding bollards or other impact protection, at additional cost.
First time they finally send me the 01 drawing was after they submit to permitting. I figured the drawing showing in the garage is close enough, as I was hoping to avoid any additional delay if they change it and have to re-permit. I'm also requesting an exception approval to the local permit which I knew was good for that round of permitting but seriously dont want to have to re-permit again to avoid any chance of error or confusion or someone to change their mind approving the exception.

EDIT: you should have been very clear where you wanted the units right up front.

In my mind if changing to the headwall of the garage where a front bumper typically would impact is not a good place to put them.
This is a good point. The Powerwall installation specs allow the units to be mounted a max of 39.5” above the floor on a wall. We did this with the three along our garage head wall so that in the off chance (we hope!) that someone bumps into that wall when parking the car bumper will make contact with the wall and not the batteries.

This is a good point. The Powerwall installation specs allow the units to be mounted a max of 39.5” above the floor on a wall. We did this with the three along our garage head wall so that in the off chance (we hope!) that someone bumps into that wall when parking the car bumper will make contact with the wall and not the batteries.

wall mount does not allow stacking the units

Before my install day, I was never asked where I wanted my Powerwalls mounted (5/2020 order, 6/2020 install). I first learned that my Powerwalls were going to be installed outside on the wall by my meter during an on-site home assessment from a site survey employee of my local Tesla Energy office. This was after Tesla already had permits for my job. My order and install went months faster than I was expecting, so maybe I should’ve pushed for more details the various times I called in with other questions.

I asked the employee performing my site-survey if I could put my Powerwalls in my garage, on the opposite side of the wall that my design had them going. He included my request in his notes but told me that sometimes the notes that they put in from a survey are never read or followed up on. He said in the worse case I could discuss it with the crew on install day, and usually they can install them like I wanted it despite the design specifying otherwise.

To my surprise, I received the same notice as the OP the very next morning (Wednesday) after my site survey and the install date was for the following Tuesday. Shortly after, I received a call from a scheduler asking if they could move my job up to the next day (Thursday), only 2 days after my site survey. The scheduler told me that any notes from my site survey the day prior were already reviewed and they viewed my job as a simple one that didn’t require any re-design as a result of the site survey. I should have tried to get a concrete answer (from who, I don’t know) on where the Powerwalls would be going.

The next day the 2 crews showed up (solar panels and Powerwall) and reviewed the design plan before starting their work. The Powerwall crew lead showed me where they would be mounting the Powerwalls outside. I asked him if he could put them inside on the opposite side of the same wall and he said no problem. He told me that the warning of a $2,000 fee applies to more difficult late requests like if I wanted the Powerwalls on the back exterior wall of my home as opposed to the side wall towards the front corner of my house.

My inspection was performed virtually due to my county’s COVID policy. I don’t know if they passed my inspection via my original design with the Powerwalls outside, or if Tesla updated something so that my inspection considered that the Powerwalls are actually in my garage. 🤷‍♂️

My inspection was performed virtually due to my county’s COVID policy. I don’t know if they passed my inspection via my original design with the Powerwalls outside, or if Tesla updated something so that my inspection considered that the Powerwalls are actually in my garage. 🤷‍♂️

I wonder how a virtual inspection will find those fancy conduit LB and low-point weep holes for 2017 NEC 225.22 ...

• Funny
Reactions: kairojya
So to update, the master electrician came today to do a pre install survey.... Even though my 01 shows the pw being in the garage, they are wanting to charge me almost $3k via a HIA? (Home improvement agreement) to put it in choices of 2 locations in the garage. That's almost additional 10% increase to the job. Compromise that they would install it a bit further away in the basement. But not right by the MBP which area I would be finishing at a later date. Yes they won't put it in front of a car unless install a crash bumper pole thing

I am not super surprised. Tesla does not do firm fixed price contracts. They add costs as needed to cover themselves, even when the error was theirs.

Sucks it happened this way, but as a Tesla Energy customer you need to be your own project manager much of the time.