Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed Matt Shumaker's Driver Centric Screen Mount: photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the mount kit and installed today. It took about 35 minutes and was very simple to do. It is a very nice bit of hardware.

I have only had one drive so far but it is as advertised. Lower, closer and angled up a bit and I have it angled as far as possible towards the driver. My initial impression is that the reflections on the screen are reduced. I often sit in the car and watch videos while waiting for my wife or kids at various activities. The new angle looks like it will eliminate the passenger side window reflections while sitting in the driver’s seat.

I am very happy with it so far.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I have only had one drive so far but it is as advertised. Lower, closer and angled up a bit and I have it angled as far as possible towards the driver. My initial impression is that the reflections on the screen are reduced. I often sit in the car and watch videos while waiting for my wife or kids at various activities. The new angle looks like it will eliminate the passenger side window reflections while sitting in the driver’s seat.

How do you like the screen height now that it is lower - is it noticeably different ?

It is noticeably lower and It looks less like it was just tacked on the dash with a wall mount. I can see much more of the dash than before. I was a little worried that the speed would be less in my field of view but after driving I found it to be fine.

The only issue I have noticed is that the console door that swings up might be touching the fabric cover when open. I will have to take a closer look. My Note 10+ with case on top of a Jeda wireless charger still fits and is visible when using waze.

After driving for a few days I have to say that I really like this modification. I have had a couple of minor issues that in no way make me want to revert.

1st, With the screen lowered the very top of my phone (Galaxy Note 10+) is not visible while in portrait mode on the wireless charger. When using Waze for instance, the next turn banner is not visible. I just put in in landscape position. I use Waze mostly for speed trap notifications anyway. My phone is really large and this may be less of an issue with smaller devices.

2nd, My wife managed to bang her knee on the corner of the screen while exiting the passenger side. This happened once after twenty or so previous successful entry and exits. She cannot explain what she did differently. I as usual had already exited and was killing time waiting behind the car for her eventual arrival, (sigh) so I did not see what happened.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

I installed mine over the weekend and absolutely love it. It is definitely more comfortable to use the screen and the angle doesn't prevent the passenger from seeing or using it.
IMG_5289.JPG

Worth the price? I say yes, my wife says no. She says the same for all my mods though. For me it was worth the price. Had a friend sit in it and he wants one for his model 3.
Our rides are looking very similar. Have to love the MSM with chrome delete right?! And, yah, my wife would say the same if I told her about every mod I've done to this car. :p I ordered mine! I'm the one driving it everyday and I like the idea of having the screen turned towards me like in the Model S. Easy enough if I ever want to return it to stock.

Stealth Mode.jpg

Thoughts??

It's only been a day but I really like the height and angle of the screen. I positioned it as much towards me as possible.

The only issue I'm having is with the new height of the screen the lid that covers my wireless charger doesn't go up as much. I have a larger phone (Note 9) and it makes the phone a bit snug. Also the lid gets stuck a little when opening it.

Overall I would recommend it if the price doesn't scare you away.

It's only been a day but I really like the height and angle of the screen. I positioned it as much towards me as possible.

The only issue I'm having is with the new height of the screen the lid that covers my wireless charger doesn't go up as much. I have a larger phone (Note 9) and it makes the phone a bit snug. Also the lid gets stuck a little when opening it.

Yah, I pulled the trigger. $285 is pretty ridiculous really but I’ve always wanted the screen angled to be more driver-centric (and I’m well aware of the Tesla aftermarket being on the high side). I plan on driving the 3 for many years to come so it seems worth the investment to me. Thanks for your input!

Reactions: seanr

From the time you placed your order how long did it take for you to receive the mount? Also, did you do the ceramic coating yourself or have it professionally done, and is it worth it? Thanks so much!

Our rides are looking very similar. Have to love the MSM with chrome delete right?! And, yah, my wife would say the same if I told her about every mod I've done to this car. :p I ordered mine! I'm the one driving it everyday and I like the idea of having the screen turned towards me like in the Model S. Easy enough if I ever want to return it to stock.

View attachment 504029
Very nice.

I have to say that I really like the reduction in reflections with the new tilt and angle. Much better than stock. Prior to this install, I was looking into getting window covers to get rid of reflections from the passenger side windows when I am stationary and watching videos and the like. Being a family chauffeur of sorts and chronic early arriver , I spend a good bit of time waiting in the car for people and events to conclude. It has been well worth the money for me.

Reactions: seanr
While I applaud the desire for it - my OCD is bothered by the angle and the shroud (not to mention the seat covers, steering wheel cover, vinyl, and console vinyls, oh - and the floor mats, and the random stuff stuck to the dash (and the misaligned screen protector, oy..). To each his own, of course!

:p

Does it make that much of a difference, really? I think one of the best parts of the Model 3 is how everyone can be involved with the map and visuals and... you know - the tablet experience. As a passenger occasionally, I love being able to see everything so clearly. This just seems counter-intuitive to me from a general car-enjoyment perspective.

Good catch on the screen protector, but it’s not misaligned. It’s up side down !!! He has the curved bottom at the top.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: WilliamG