Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed Matt Shumaker's Driver Centric Screen Mount: photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Matt's driver centric screen mount was delivered a few days ago and I just had it installed. It's not very difficult and the results are fantastic. I was so excited I took the photos posted below at the installer's house immediately after it was done.

The mount is basically two very well made machined aluminum peices and it results in an adjustable mount. I set mine to have the sharpest angle toward the driver. If you don't know about the mount Matt has posted several videos about them. Here's the installation video.

This is an incredibly well made product. Until it was installed I was concerned about the how the soft shroud that hides the hardware would look. It looks great.

IMG_0120.jpeg

IMG_0121.jpeg

IMG_0122.jpeg

IMG_0124.jpeg

IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0127.jpeg

While I applaud the desire for it - my OCD is bothered by the angle and the shroud (not to mention the seat covers, steering wheel cover, vinyl, and console vinyls, oh - and the floor mats, and the random stuff stuck to the dash (and the misaligned screen protector, oy..). To each his own, of course!

:p

Does it make that much of a difference, really? I think one of the best parts of the Model 3 is how everyone can be involved with the map and visuals and... you know - the tablet experience. As a passenger occasionally, I love being able to see everything so clearly. This just seems counter-intuitive to me from a general car-enjoyment perspective.

Last edited:
One of these years I am going to change the upholstery, but it is not going to be vinyl.

As for the display mount, I like it but I am hesitant to fix the angle towards the driver. I would catch never ending grief from my wife in the passenger seat.

While I applaud the desire for it - my OCD is bothered by the angle and the shroud (not to mention the seat covers, steering wheel cover, vinyl, and console vinyls, oh - and the floor mats, and the random stuff stuck to the dash (and the misaligned screen protector, oy..). To each his own, of course!

Does it make that much of a difference, really? I think one of the best parts of the Model 3 is how everyone can be involved with the map and visuals and... you know - the tablet experience. As a passenger occasionally, I love being able to see everything so clearly. This just seems counter-intuitive to me from a general car-enjoyment perspective.
Ha I’m totally with you. In fact, just noticed the TV in my hotel room is angled and it’s driving me crazy. Have to have it straight so I’m guessing I would feel the same about the screen in the car.

Don't hold back, tell him how you really feel...

Awesome, I got mine in the mail the other day, will install it Sunday morning.

BTW, it’s a quick adjustment back to centering the screen to its default position, which I would do when going on long trips so that the family can enjoy the screen and Netflix.

But for my every day driving the tilt screen will work for me. Hoping that Tesla will introduce this in the Model Y and other future cars.

Fred

Last edited:
I think he stated in the last production video that it dropped just under 1 inch. Will have to go back and look for it.

Found it, lowers the screen about 1.6 inches. Talks about it right in the beginning of this video. 45 seconds into it.

Fred

Last edited:
There's no way they could void any part of your warranty. It's like adjusting your mirror. I actually like the revised angle. Now I catch a lot of glare, this would reduce the glare by some percent.

Of course Tesla can void your warranty. If the screen stopped working or anything to do with the screen malfunctioning - happened, they could easily blame it on the modification. Now, of course you could put the screen back to how it was before bringing the car in, but if you brought the car in with a screen issue - mounted like that, I can almost guarantee Tesla won't cover it.

Reactions: jimmym1981