Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed Matt Shumaker's Driver Centric Screen Mount: photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course Tesla can void your warranty. If the screen stopped working or anything to do with the screen malfunctioning - happened, they could easily blame it on the modification. Now, of course you could put the screen back to how it was before bringing the car in, but if you brought the car in with a screen issue - mounted like that, I can almost guarantee Tesla won't cover it.

Again, look at the video, it's one plug, one plug. How can you screw up one plug to void your warranty?

Tesla would have to prove that the mod caused the damage/failure in question. However, that doesn't mean that they cannot still drag you through arbitration , etc in dealing with said failure prior to be forced to cover it, if that is in fact what goes down.

However, I agree with the other poster that one little std. multpin connection is unlikely to be an issue too.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Can someone post a link to the retail site? What does this mount cost, how easy is it to adjust the screen position? Ideally, it would be as easy as adjusting the steering wheel on a non Tesla car. If this contraption requires removing covers, using tools, like wrenches and/or Allen wrenches, I think the market for this mod will be very small; niche market.

Can someone post a link to the retail site? What does this mount cost, how easy is it to adjust the screen position? Ideally, it would be as easy as adjusting the steering wheel on a non Tesla car. If this contraption requires removing covers, using tools, like wrenches and/or Allen wrenches, I think the market for this mod will be very small; niche market.
The seller is the person in the video. I believe you have to Paypal him the money. From what I recall the cost is $200+

@artsci, waz dat on the dash of the 3? Black & Grey box with the Green X on it. Looked at you list of mods, didn't see it there.

Hope you are doing better after the shoulder surgery.
It's the Xvida Qi charger. It magnetically holds your phone in place while it charges wirelessly. Also has a built-in fan to keep it cool. The usual fitment is to attach it to the back of your screen, but the OP has threaded the wire so that he can install it as his mini-center dash.

Reactions: Akikiki
It's a nice mod that the creator and his wife like - it solves a problem they had, but they assume voided warranty risk. I thinking the transition to retail sales will not result in many sales for the inventor. I predict someday, Tesla will motorize the mount, allowing it to move somewhat, as they did the steering wheel. Wouldn't it be nice, using the scroll wheels, to have the monitor move out and angled toward you while you are playing a game, surfing the internet, or watching a movie - and then back to home position when you are ready to drive again?

As for this mod, I'm out.

Of course Tesla can void your warranty. If the screen stopped working or anything to do with the screen malfunctioning - happened, they could easily blame it on the modification. Now, of course you could put the screen back to how it was before bringing the car in, but if you brought the car in with a screen issue - mounted like that, I can almost guarantee Tesla won't cover it.
The guy in the video mentioned putting the screen back to OEM before service

This is my field of view from my saved driving position, note that before this install I could not reach the right edge of the screen. Now I can wrap my fingers around the back right side. The screen now faces me perfectly and on long trips I can readjust it back to its normal position so that the wifey can view her Netflix.

By the way, the Tilt is actually more left then what the picture shows.

Fred

0767BA84-A7A7-41A6-8532-25DE82BACAE0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: seanr
Wow, you just ruined the argument for not doing this from all the folks that lean one way or the other to do it. Yeah, maybe it would be an issue with the SC - maybe not. They might just agree with you and pretend not to see it.

In other words, - this looks really good.

Wow, you just ruined the argument for not doing this from all the folks that lean one way or the other to do it. Yeah, maybe it would be an issue with the SC - maybe not. They might just agree with you and pretend not to see it.

In other words, - this looks really good.

If these people are that concerned, they can un-install it and place it back in its factory settings. Would take half the time of installing it because now you know how to do it. Probably 10 minutes tops.

It’s probably my best upgrade yet, close to my Blox spacers and Red brake covers.

The Screen is where is should be now, facing the driver for easy access to all controls, Tesla needs to add this mod to its Model Y.

Now to replace my rear door speakers and the center console LED light later.

Fred

I'm surprised we've not see a request "hey, anybody moved the M3's screen wires and all to the second row so folks in the back seat can make changes without reaching forward?" It's just a matter of time.
Not a bad Idea, T-off the front screen, add a 2nd screen in the back for when I need to sleep on the way home from work in FSD mode.

Fred

• Funny
Reactions: DeepFrz and Akikiki