Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make an adapter yourself. It is not very hard. Buy an RV 14-50 female plug and some #6 wire, then put the 14-30 male end on the other side. Alternately, buy a high quality 14-30 dryer outlet, cut the cable about 12-18 inches from the 14-30 male end, and then wire it into the 14-50 female end.

Make sure you don't have a Federal Pacific Electric panel or Zinsco panel before doing this. Failure to set the charge current down will overload the 10 AWG wire on the circuit and could result in fire if the breaker fails to trip. Those panels have breaker trip failure rates up to 80 pct.

Label the cord clearly as Tesla charging only and cut it in half when you disposition the car.

Ugh. No top/bottom cut-out options? Did they even consult an electrician?! *shakes head*

I'll have to wait until I get it (or someone posts a picture) because the installation diagrams show wire clamps at the bottom of the HPWC but the guide says left / back install only... so I'm hoping I can do a top or bottom cut-out. That, or I'll have to install it on top of a box rather than surface mount.

Ugh. No top/bottom cut-out options? Did they even consult an electrician?! *shakes head*

I'll have to wait until I get it (or someone posts a picture) because the installation diagrams show wire clamps at the bottom of the HPWC but the guide says left / back install only... so I'm hoping I can do a top or bottom cut-out. That, or I'll have to install it on top of a box rather than surface mount.
You mean you wanted a 1" cut out (option) at both the top and bottom of the back of the unit?

You mean you wanted a 1" cut out (option) at both the top and bottom of the back of the unit?

Mostly top for me, but bottom works better. The place I'm mounting the HPWC is only about 8-12" wide and I won't be able to do the conduit bend required for left access (and my garage door track would block an LB). I was hoping we'd have options for side, back, and top/bottom feed.

Anybody received their cord hanger bracket yet? I purchased a Pandit J-Pro JP4W-X20 for $6.08 from Amazon for temporary use. Works fine but the Tesla hanger seems to have a 'receptacle' to store the plug which would be nice.

My HPWC came with a slip of paper saying its back ordered.....