Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a Nema 14-50 on a 30 Amp Breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Funny, no where in there is there anything about electricity..... So like I've told you before, your steps aren't the only, or correct way to do it. Nowhere where I live is there a place to pull a permit to have a circuit added. Nowhere where I live is there a building inspector to sign off on the addition of branch circuit.

So let me spell it out for you again:
1) There are no load calculations required where I live.
2) there are no building permits where I live
3) licensed doesn’t mean anything. Look at any one doing anything with a “license”
4) There is no building department and no building codes.

So yea, your way IS NOT the only way to do it CORRECTLY. thanks for playing though.

If you can find where I go to get the "required load calculations" or where I "pull an electrical permit" or where I turn in the "properly filled out 'Load Calc'" I'll do that. This stuff doesn't exist. And the link you provided shows that

Here's an exerpt
Fort Bend County has not adopted any zoning ordinances.....Fort Bend County Engineering does not issue certificates of occupancy and the County has not adopted building codes for single family residential developments.

So unless you can show me where I'm supposed to go to get these magical permits then you are yet again, wrong. Everything I've said is backed up by the link from the county that you provided.

Good thing I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes:

Why do so many of the threads here devolve into arguing over semantics and posturing?

Here's the gist of it
1. Don't burn your house down doing something stupid.
2. If you do burn your house down make sure all electrical work was done under permit.
3. If you do burn your house down, and pulled a permit, make sure to have hired a licensed contractor so your insurance company will still pay out for your charred hulk.

Why do so many of the threads here devolve into arguing over semantics and posturing?

Here's the gist of it:

2. If you do burn your house down make sure all electrical work was done under permit.
3. If you do burn your house down, and pulled a permit, make sure to have hired a licensed contractor so your insurance company will still pay out for your charred hulk.

Perfect!

I couldn't have said it better.

Here's the gist of it

Well good thing for me there's no permits required for doing this, so I'm covered.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
You can’t put NEMA 14-50 receptacles on a 30A circuits! Not only that would be a code violation, but it would cause immediate problems when charging a Tesla! Here is why.
The type of the NEMA plug (adapter) you use with the UMC tells your car what’s the highest current the car is allowed to draw. If you use the 14-50 adapter, the car will assume you have a 50A rated circuit and will charge at a higher current than it’s supposed to! At best this will trip your circuit breaker, at worst, this can cause fire!

DO NOT DO IT!!!
Best answer yet!

@M3BlueGeorgia There's nothing to disagree with, feel free to add yourself to the list of people that can't show me where I pull an electrical permit or have a building inspection for the codes that don't exist. :cool:

If you have a 240v/30a breaker, or are using wiring best suited to 240v/30a, then don't stick a 14-50 socket on it. Use 14-30 socket instead.

Work down from there. So if your wiring and/or breaker is best suited for 240v/20a, use a 6-20 socket. Etc, Etc

It is worthwhile to keep looping back to the original issue in this thread as people slide off-topic into permits and State electrical standards.

If you have a 240v/30a breaker, or are using wiring best suited to 240v/30a, then don't stick a 14-50 socket on it. Use 14-30 socket instead.

Work down from there. So if your wiring and/or breaker is best suited for 240v/20a, use a 6-20 socket. Etc, Etc

It is worthwhile to keep looping back to the original issue in this thread as people slide off-topic into permits and State electrical standards.

You response has nothing to do with what I said. But congratulations on confirming you just disagree with me because you don't like the answer and nothing to do with facts.

This thread reminds me of a friend who moved to Oklahoma recently. He is in construction and decided to do a bathroom remodel to keep the money flowing when he got there.
When he went to the permit office, he had the following interaction:

Friend-" Hi, I'd like to apply for a permit to do a bathroom remodel. I am moving all the plumbing and electrical, installing new fixtures, and replacing the Tub and Sink"
Permit Department- "Are you moving any exterior walls or adding square footage to the house?"
Friend-"No I am staying within the same 4 walls of the bathroom, just redoing all the plumbing and electrical."
Permit Department- "You will be fine, we don't need a permit for that"
Friend -"I am moving all the plumbing and electrical?! Are you sure"
Permit Department- "Honey, as long as you flip that light switch and the house don't burn down, that'd be just fine with us"

• Funny
Reactions: hcdavis3
This thread reminds me of a friend who moved to Oklahoma recently. He is in construction and decided to do a bathroom remodel to keep the money flowing when he got there.
When he went to the permit office, he had the following interaction:

Friend-" Hi, I'd like to apply for a permit to do a bathroom remodel. I am moving all the plumbing and electrical, installing new fixtures, and replacing the Tub and Sink"
Permit Department- "Are you moving any exterior walls or adding square footage to the house?"
Friend-"No I am staying within the same 4 walls of the bathroom, just redoing all the plumbing and electrical."
Permit Department- "You will be fine, we don't need a permit for that"
Friend -"I am moving all the plumbing and electrical?! Are you sure"
Permit Department- "Honey, as long as you flip that light switch and the house don't burn down, that'd be just fine with us"

Pretty much the same thing where I live, they require a permit for new construction, anything that changes flood plains, and things that cross municipal easements. So I needed a permit to install my driveway because the culvert utilized the county easement on my property for county drainage. Installing my sub-panel, and all the stuff I've added to it required nothing, added plumbing that required nothing, Actually, my entire home was remodeled top to bottom just before I bought it and required no permits I'm aware of.

You can’t put NEMA 14-50 receptacles on a 30A circuits! Not only that would be a code violation, but it would cause immediate problems when charging a Tesla! Here is why.
The type of the NEMA plug (adapter) you use with the UMC tells your car what’s the highest current the car is allowed to draw. If you use the 14-50 adapter, the car will assume you have a 50A rated circuit and will charge at a higher current than it’s supposed to! At best this will trip your circuit breaker, at worst, this can cause fire!

DO NOT DO IT!!!

We have a dryer circuit with 2 30 AMP breakers. We have charged from a NEMA 14-50 numerous times without issue. I am assuming that the total 60 AMP rating of the circuit makes this safe - or not?

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
2 30 amp Breakers wired in parallel is actually a 60 amp circuit.
Not if it’s a typical 240v 30a circuit. Each leg is individually protected by a 30a breaker, typically both handles tied together.

The reason is if a single leg shorts to ground, it’s still limited to 30a.

Now, if your describing something non-standard, I apologize.

What gauge wire is used?

We have a dryer circuit with 2 30 AMP breakers.
2 30a breakers is still a 30a circuit.
That's why it is not referred to as "two 30A breakers". That would imply that they are independent things that can be switched separately. That is called one "2-pole" 30A breaker. It looks somewhat like two breakers attached together, because it is having to connect to both phases of the house's electricity to make it a 240V connection instead of a 120V connection.

(It's possible to hack together something is similar with two separate breakers, but that's really wrong and dangerous, so that's why you use a 2-pole breaker for this.)