Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Wall Connector in Residential Building Basement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You really think this would be any sort of serious problem?

I get the idea this is a private parking garage accessible only to building residents. Sure people will do all sorts of smarmy sugar when the expectation of anonymity is high, but this seems like the sort of situation where that’s not the case.

Maybe I’m giving OP’s neighbors too much credit.

I do, actually. Eventually it will be, unless OP lives in a very small building (unlikely as OP mentioned 8th floor previously) or the charger is locked up. Income of the residents doesnt matter.... see all the model s and x owners who paid 80-120k for their vehicles line up to get their "free unlimited supercharging" rather than charging at home where it is more convenient.

At first it would likely be "i just needed a top up", or then it might be others in the building attempting to get this setup for themselves (hopefully the building planned for this).

Maybe I sound like a pessimist in this case, but there are people (no matter the income bracket) for which "if its free, its for me" and there are people who wont care that its assigned / owned by someone else. People even pull up to outdoor chargers at private businesses etc and try to charge.

It would be better to remove the "crime of opportunity" and lock up the charger in a box or something. I dont think many would break into it, but I do think people would use it if its "just there, with a sign saying dont use it". If everyone listened to parking signs, there wouldnt be people getting tickets for parking in handicapped areas, double parking, etc.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
I do, actually. Eventually it will be, unless OP lives in a very small building (unlikely as OP mentioned 8th floor previously) or the charger is locked up. Income of the residents doesnt matter.... see all the model s and x owners who paid 80-120k for their vehicles line up to get their "free unlimited supercharging" rather than charging at home where it is more convenient.

At first it would likely be "i just needed a top up", or then it might be others in the building attempting to get this setup for themselves (hopefully the building planned for this).

Maybe I sound like a pessimist in this case, but there are people (no matter the income bracket) for which "if its free, its for me" and there are people who wont care that its assigned / owned by someone else. People even pull up to outdoor chargers at private businesses etc and try to charge.

It would be better to remove the "crime of opportunity" and lock up the charger in a box or something.
I remember talking about this a few times with like a wall connector outside someone's house, and this is even more specific since they are private assigned parking spaces in a condo. It just doesn't make any sense to think this is a worry.

1. The "crime of opportunity" concept only applies where people think they can get away with something. They can run up and grab something and steal it and run away. Where the process of "stealing" is done in plain sight and takes HOURS, that's not a thing.
2. This is only a worry if the loss of value from some "opportunity" stealing has significant value. If someone comes up and illegally charges from it for an hour and then runs away, it's still less than a buck. It's not a problem, and then you can deal with it.
3. Dealing with it is easy. This is a reserved spot. If someone does ever try this, just call the police or whatever traffic enforcement handles that lot and have their car removed. Not a problem.

Reactions: almaguaz
Its nice that you were able to work with them like that. Since you are responsible for paying all electricity used at that connection, you are not concerned at all that other owners will see that plug, ignore the "private charger" sign and plug in "just for a bit" and you will need to pay?

Said another way, what are you doing beside posting that little sign which can be ignored ( and absolutely would be, by some) to avoid having to pay more money for others using your charger "for free" while you pay?

Well, I'm not really concern about that at the moment. Anyways, you can configure the charger to function in a particular schedule, let's say, only from 8pm to 8am when my car is most likely parked there.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Well, I'm not really concern about that at the moment. Anyways, you can configure the charger to function in a particular schedule, let's say, only from 8pm to 8am when my car is most likely parked there.
Oh, that's right! You did say you got a Chargepoint unit, and those do have configuration controls like that. So the "stealing pocket change worth of electricity" issue is moot.

Reactions: almaguaz
You really think this would be any sort of serious problem?

I get the idea this is a private parking garage accessible only to building residents. Sure people will do all sorts of smarmy sugar when the expectation of anonymity is high, but this seems like the sort of situation where that’s not the case.

Maybe I’m giving OP’s neighbors too much credit.

Yes, this garage it's only accessible to residents.
I got your point: If my car is not going to stay the night then I can just re-program de the charger to not allow any charging during an specific time frame.