Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instavolt - 57 p/kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or the prices "at the pump" (EV charger) are increasing because the wholesale prices for the providers to buy electricity are astronomical at the moment. Why do you think so many of the household utility providers have gone bust recently? They gave their customers fixed price energy & were priced out of the market by the rising wholesale costs.

The current trend of chargers increasing in price is not profiteering, but necessity for them to maintain their business model.
Wholesale prices are allegedly now down 50%. Looking forward to these savings being passed on 🙄

• Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655
Wholesale prices are allegedly now down 50%. Looking forward to these savings being passed on 🙄
Well if the "savings" are not being passed on, I have a cracking idea. Why don't you set up an electricity provider - buy the wholesale spot price, and sell it with zero profit margin to the consumer?

If your prices are 50% lower - you'll have millions of customers overnight - and will corner the market - and those pesky greedy energy companies making obscene profits will have had their day.

You could even install some EV chargers and sell it at 22p/kWh, putting that nasty Instavolt out of business, the pesky capitalists.

Well if the "savings" are not being passed on, I have a cracking idea. Why don't you set up an electricity provider - buy the wholesale spot price, and sell it with zero profit margin to the consumer?

If your prices are 50% lower - you'll have millions of customers overnight - and will corner the market - and those pesky greedy energy companies making obscene profits will have had their day.

You could even install some EV chargers and sell it at 22p/kWh, putting that nasty Instavolt out of business, the pesky capitalists.
Aye aye.. Rees Mogg has been on the sherry this early on a Sunday morning

• Funny
Reactions: btc1k and Adopado

Attachments

• 7791D558-1D86-4831-B9C3-8E17A34C2339.png
    7791D558-1D86-4831-B9C3-8E17A34C2339.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 59
I've seen 22p on co-chargers and just park. With solar PV and battery, this pricing is possible.

So how big are these batteries then?

I’ve seen it for buses, but it’s a fixed energy requirement so can be sized according but with public charging you are going to have highly volatile traffic patterns and so highly variable electricity pricing or no charging as batteries depleted. Finger in air but a MWh per 40 cars maybe. That’s quite some battery storage.

I saw this announcement last week and thought Jeez! Makes me very thankful that a local Lidl has just been built with a 26p PodPoint 50kw rapid.

10-90% costs me about £16.

No doubt it'll be short lived and they'll put the price up to 35p or something soon.

2 litre new Defender fill with 75 litres (because like an EV you dont use the last 10%) was, a month ago when I last did it, £126. You're about right at 32 mpg which makes a range of 545 miles for that fill.

I make that 4.32 ppm for the Defender and 4.67 ppm for the Tesla.

I make it 23 ppm for the Defender
There are a few calculation issues here:

1 Imperial Gallon (Uk Gallon not Us gallon) is 4.546 litres. Therefore 75 litres is 16.5 gallons and at 32mpg = 528 miles for that fill.

528 miles for £126 = 23.9ppm

Not sure who you were quoting as that info does not appear to be from this thread but the major error is dividing their figure of 545 miles by £126 to get 4.32, but that is the wrong way round as for the £126 they got 545 miles so 126/545=0.23ppm

Reactions: candida
2 litre new Defender fill with 75 litres (because like an EV you dont use the last 10%) was, a month ago when I last did it, £126. You're about right at 32 mpg which makes a range of 545 miles for that fill.

I make that 4.32 ppm for the Defender and 4.67 ppm for the Tesla.

I make it 23 ppm for the Defender
Quite right. I was irked I think!

Was searching instavolt and this old thread came up, now at 0.66p/kWh.

My question, so the Tesla app says charged up to 90% and says has reached the set level so should stop charging, but when I check the Instavolt app it was still showing as charging. I was only about 15 minutes late getting back to the car, but should I stop the instavolt charge on the app otherwise am I still being charged when it's plugged in?