Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instead of Robot Chargers, WIRELESS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit. 30% off any electrical vehicle charging costs, including EVSEs (like Plugless) and electrical work (parts and labor but not permitting) up to $1,000. It was reinstated for 2015 and carries through 2016. It's a true tax credit, meaning not a deductible but it shaves your total tax liability at the end of the year. (best to talk to a tax advisor) - there is a form that hasn't been updated yet.

It's the Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit. 30% off any electrical vehicle charging costs, including EVSEs (like Plugless) and electrical work (parts and labor but not permitting) up to $1,000. It was reinstated for 2015 and carries through 2016. It's a true tax credit, meaning not a deductible but it shaves your total tax liability at the end of the year. (best to talk to a tax advisor) - there is a form that hasn't been updated yet.

Thank you!

I didn't know about tax credit for the charging station I installed. Do you know whether such a tax credit would apply next year for upgrading?

The problem with wireless charging is not so much in efficiency, but in how much energy leaks out. Even if we're charging at 10kW with ~90% efficiency rate, this means we're leaking ~1kW into the environment around the car. For comparison: a typical microwave oven uses 1-1.5kW of power.

Assuming the frequencies used will be less than hundreds of kHz (typical phone charger operates in ~100-300kHz and uses up to ~5W; this will have to be lower frequency, more power), most of that energy will be dissipated in conductive materials, where it will produce eddy currents resulting in heating of the surface layer. Some part of the energy will cause dielectic heating in all other materials as well (work principle behind microwave ovens).

So yeah, I don't mind plugging it in every night.

The problem with wireless charging is not so much in efficiency, but in how much energy leaks out. Even if we're charging at 10kW with ~90% efficiency rate, this means we're leaking ~1kW into the environment around the car. For comparison: a typical microwave oven uses 1-1.5kW of power.

Assuming the frequencies used will be less than hundreds of kHz (typical phone charger operates in ~100-300kHz and uses up to ~5W; this will have to be lower frequency, more power), most of that energy will be dissipated in conductive materials, where it will produce eddy currents resulting in heating of the surface layer. Some part of the energy will cause dielectic heating in all other materials as well (work principle behind microwave ovens).

I guess so.... Even if that's the case, doesn't seem like it would have a negative impact at all.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't want to "qualify". It is a punitive tax meant to make the investor class pay more; kicks in if you have lots of passive income.
Sounds like most people won't have to worry about it then.

The wireless for Tesla is expected to deliver 6.6kW, not 10kW.

Efficiency is supposed to be 12% less than L2, so it must be losing 12% of energy before it reaches the charger, therefor consuming 7.5kW in order to deliver 6.6kW with the remainder converted to heat in the inductive hardware.

That being said, I wonder how that extra heat load would affect Tesla's battery temperature regulating system during charging? Probably adds extra loss in summer due to more than usual battery cooling but less battery heating required in winter.

The wireless for Tesla is expected to deliver 6.6kW, not 10kW.

Efficiency is supposed to be 12% less than L2, so it must be losing 12% of energy before it reaches the charger, therefor consuming 7.5kW in order to deliver 6.6kW with the remainder converted to heat in the inductive hardware.

That being said, I wonder how that extra heat load would affect Tesla's battery temperature regulating system during charging? Probably adds extra loss in summer due to more than usual battery cooling but less battery heating required in winter.
That's more like it. However, not all the heat will end up dispersing within the car, some will be generated by the pad too. Also, it will likely be nominal, as supercharging heats the battery too, much more so than wireless charging would.