Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the radar is mounted to the car.

Here is the total price for the parts...except the bumper cover.
The Aero shield was the wrong part number...this is the lower plastic shield under the car.
The active louvers were the most expensive pieces of the puzzle

Tesla bumper parts quote_Page_1.jpg

Tesla bumper parts quote_Page_2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick70d
My parts order cleared California...no restrictions...should be in soon.

For those that need a new facelift bumper...price was $560...Ebay used was $300...not much difference

I should get the gap filler soon from theCharleschen.

All OEM PARTS is still half less than Unplugged version ($+-3000). The Tsportline version was $2000...but had issue w quality and fit

@Wratran Did you just email your local service center with the parts list?

My main issue with the aftermarket bumpers is that they don't look exactly like the OEM version. Tsportline is close but they chose to round out the top of the bumper to match the contour of the hood instead of having an under bite. Unplugged added their own flare to the bottom portion of the bumper, which looks fine, but just not what I'm looking for.

As trayloader requested here are some profile shots as well as some showing the top of the T holder frame and the gap between it and the top of the hood. Clearly with the 2013 hood there's a major underbite.

The bumper is not fully mounted so gaps will appear around the headlights --- not a concern for now. Also the wire that shows is the installers first attempt at lighting the T. More on that to come.

fullsizeoutput_647a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6478.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6476.jpeg

Note the yellow tape and the gap between it and the underside of the hood. Not good, and the new hood and front frunk trim piece (see below) will fix this. But I don't know if the frunk trim piece alone without the new hood will close the gap. We'll know when we have that part.

fullsizeoutput_647d.jpeg

This shot shows the top of the T holder frame. Note the two pieces of velcro on the black piece, which probably help hold in place the lower frunk trim piece, which is very different that the nosecone piece, and won't fit with the nosecone side frunk trim. So I've concluded that with the new hood I'll also have to replace all of the frunk trim panels except the top one, and they may need to be modified a bit. Part numbers to be supplied once we have them and know it works.

This gets more complicated by the day! And the more I know the more I think the aftermarket products may be the way for others to go, unless you want to go to a lot of trouble to do this with original Tesla parts.

fullsizeoutput_6474.jpeg
these are great images, thanks for sharing. The gap is pretty drastic imho. I didn't realise it was like that. I think a replacement hoot while a big effort, is probably the best way.

It might be helpful to recap a few of the challenges that we had to solve when doing the first refresh (and creating our refresh system years ago). I would not discourage anyone from trying their own modifications and solutions. However, as others have mentioned it is a slippery slope to get everything dialed in correctly. Here's a recap of a few:

1. A scenario in which the battery and 12V is depleted and in which access to the 12V is needed to make the car mobile for towing or service. New cars without the nose cone have a method for this but we ultimately needed to create a solution which is shown in action here:

2. Integration of AP1 without touching or impacting the calibration in any way. We found the best way was to design our refresh system in a way that retains the factory grill with radar cutout - in this way it fits as designed, the radar itself is never touched and the radar fits with integration the same as it was.

3. Retaining original location of the ultrasonic sensors. This is debatable as to any safety/functionality impact, but we did not want to change any of the parameters of what the car sees so the UP refresh keeps the front two ultrasonic sensors in similar locations to where they were on the nosecone (the newer Tesla bumper moves them) and naturally the firmware will not know that the bumper is changed so we like removing that variable and keeping things where the car thinks they naturally are.

4. As others have mentioned with regards to fitment, it can become a deep rabbit's hole in terms of swapping hoods which then involves frunk mating to hood issues, hood latch issues, etc. So many of the parts are inter-related. Like for example the lower plastic mesh grill shape matches the bumper shape so if you use the new bumper then the AP1 install is not clean, or how the louvers and ducting behind the bumper are different shapes and sizes, etc. The only solution we were comfortable with was what we did - came up with something new from scratch that adapts the old system without changing it and applies it to the new look.

I'm not sure how well known it is - but Tesla themselves selected the UP Refresh for their corporate marketing car promoting their veteran's outreach program Tesla Vets. This may be implied already, but to spell it out - Tesla purchased our Refresh, despite having access to their entire parts catalog. They did so for all of the same reasons/challenges described in this thread. This does not mean that it can't be done other ways, but that was the solution that Tesla themselves chose.
TeslaVets.jpg

PS - Some mentioned that we chose a slightly sportier look. We wanted to accent the car's sporty nature by making the grill deeper, the areas over the fog lights more sculpted and the lower edge (front lip spoiler area) a bit more aerodynamic in shape. We've received dozens of reports of range increase after fitting the UP refresh (due to the front spoiler design). The same front spoiler shape on our refresh was so popular that we ended up making the same shape as an add-on front lip spoiler for the new new facelifted bumper cars 2016.5+ as well, and those users have also reported a range gain from the bottom lip re-shaping. It by the way does not impact ground clearance at all, the bottom clearance height is still the same. Although there is always good reason for skepticism (as I'd expect) on the range gain topic, we did create an extensive white paper on our CFD work for the Model 3 front lip spoiler which might be of interest for those curious about aerodynamics and what is possible in the aftermarket that is not possible from factories due to various antiquated homologation laws (for example specific front lip angle to load cars on ferries). This aero work on the Model S predates the expensive/comprehensive Model 3 CFD study, so we only have anecdotal evidence of range gain but the feedback is consistent over the years, so it is worth mentioning.
Independent Aerodynamic Study of Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

For those curious there is a fairly lengthy gallery of refreshed cars at this link (including Tesla's, Ben Sullins of Teslanomics, Gene of Teslarati and many other interesting projects)
Unplugged Performance Refresh Front Fascia System for Tesla Model S

up-ms-refresh-red.jpg

Last edited:
It might be helpful to recap a few of the challenges that we had to solve when doing the first refresh (and creating our refresh system years ago). I would not discourage anyone from trying their own modifications and solutions. However, as others have mentioned it is a slippery slope to get everything dialed in correctly. Here's a recap of a few:

1. A scenario in which the battery and 12V is depleted and in which access to the 12V is needed to make the car mobile for towing or service. New cars without the nose cone have a method for this but we ultimately needed to create a solution which is shown in action here:

2. Integration of AP1 without touching or impacting the calibration in any way. We found the best way was to design our refresh system in a way that retains the factory grill with radar cutout - in this way it fits as designed, the radar itself is never touched and the radar fits with integration the same as it was.

3. Retaining original location of the ultrasonic sensors. This is debatable as to any safety/functionality impact, but we did not want to change any of the parameters of what the car sees so the UP refresh keeps the front two ultrasonic sensors in similar locations to where they were on the nosecone (the newer Tesla bumper moves them) and naturally the firmware will not know that the bumper is changed so we like removing that variable and keeping things where the car thinks they naturally are.

4. As others have mentioned with regards to fitment, it can become a deep rabbit's hole in terms of swapping hoods which then involves frunk mating to hood issues, hood latch issues, etc. So many of the parts are inter-related. Like for example the lower plastic mesh grill shape matches the bumper shape so if you use the new bumper then the AP1 install is not clean, or how the louvers and ducting behind the bumper are different shapes and sizes, etc. The only solution we were comfortable with was what we did - came up with something new from scratch that adapts the old system without changing it and applies it to the new look.

I'm not sure how well known it is - but Tesla themselves selected the UP Refresh for their corporate marketing car promoting their veteran's outreach program Tesla Vets. This may be implied already, but to spell it out - Tesla purchased our Refresh, despite having access to their entire parts catalog. They did so for all of the same reasons/challenges described in this thread. This does not mean that it can't be done other ways, but that was the solution that Tesla themselves chose.
TeslaVets.jpg

PS - Some mentioned that we chose a slightly sportier look. We wanted to accent the car's sporty nature by making the grill deeper, the areas over the fog lights more sculpted and the lower edge (front lip spoiler area) a bit more aerodynamic in shape. We've received dozens of reports of range increase after fitting the UP refresh (due to the front spoiler design). The same front spoiler shape on our refresh was so popular that we ended up making the same shape as an add-on front lip spoiler for the new new facelifted bumper cars 2016.5+ as well, and those users have also reported a range gain from the bottom lip re-shaping. It by the way does not impact ground clearance at all, the bottom clearance height is still the same. Although there is always good reason for skepticism (as I'd expect) on the range gain topic, we did create an extensive white paper on our CFD work for the Model 3 front lip spoiler which might be of interest for those curious about aerodynamics and what is possible in the aftermarket that is not possible from factories due to various antiquated homologation laws (for example specific front lip angle to load cars on ferries). This aero work on the Model S predates the expensive/comprehensive Model 3 CFD study, so we only have anecdotal evidence of range gain but the feedback is consistent over the years, so it is worth mentioning.
Independent Aerodynamic Study of Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

For those curious there is a fairly lengthy gallery of refreshed cars at this link (including Tesla's, Ben Sullins of Teslanomics, Gene of Teslarati and many other interesting projects)
Unplugged Performance Refresh Front Fascia System for Tesla Model S

up-ms-refresh-red.jpg
Thanks for the comprehensive response. Considering we all have the balls to do the work, how much is it just for parts and delivery to the UK? (With the motor club discount of course) if the difference is in the thousands then I just can’t see me personally choosing that option over the more manually adventure of getting parts for the OEM retrofit option.

Look forward for the reply or DM?

Removing all of the interior trunk covers does not look like much of a solution to me... why not just relocate the jumper terminals?

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it genuinely.

We did our best to balance all of the complexities of our goals when we developed this for a non-intrusive process in which everything exists without manipulation (all ultrasonics, radar, active ducting, grill, etc - We felt that our hidden hood release solution with 12V access to jump the car in under a minute was the right path ahead to safeguard a scenario with a dead battery. We've had clients use it in rare cases and it saved the day for them.
We also wanted to optimize for as straight forward of an install as possible (at our shop we have customers drop off their car at 9AM and they drive away with the new front after lunch same day). Granted in those cases we do pre-paint, so long as the color is not a pearl or multicoat red.

As for prices, yes we charge more than other options. We manufacture everything in the US (using a supplier we originally were introduced to as a low volume prototype supplier for Tesla and SpaceX). Much can be said for the Tesla tax, but at the end of the day for those that know us we are a small business of Tesla owners and about a dozen dedicated enthusiasts on payroll. We try to cover our bills and to keep investing into R&D to make the cars better. We absolutely cannot make these as cheap as Tesla can make a bumper because Tesla makes 100,000 bumpers and we make production runs of a dozen at a time in Reno, we do not have the economies of scale. We also were not willing to sub this out to a factory in China to drive costs down for various reasons. It is unfortunate we are not lower priced as we would be able to serve more people, but we chose the best balance we could for engineering and producing these refreshes and we are grateful for the Tesla community which has given us life. For anyone here who wants some price relief on the refresh, please message us and ask for a TMC special.
-Ben

Hi Wratran,

The link you've selected was an unfortunate situation in which a 3rd party installer failed to use supplied hardware and skipped steps on the install of the Unplugged Performance Refresh. We reviewed the car locally to verify since the fitment was completely wrong on that car you linked. Furthermore, we did a 15 minute test fit of another bumper to double confirm that his car was fine and that our product is fine but that the first installer destroyed his bumper on initial install. It is unfortunate and we are helping him the best we can despite having no control over that variable. Also his brother has a UP refresh on his car and it fits great. Sometimes result can come down to whether an installer used the supplied hardware and follows instructions or not.

To put it in Rockwell's direct words from here
Unplugged performance fitment issue

"Ben from Unplugged Performance contacted me (after seeing my car on the forum) to bring in my car to figure out what is causing this alignment issue. Ben went far and beyond expectation and they will be around for a long time with their excellent customer service and knowledge.

The techs from unplugged removed my bumper and found out that it wasn’t installed correctly. The Body shop I brought it to never followed instructions and installed it wrong in every way. They didn’t use all the screws that was provided and made the bottom chin of the bumper to sag, causing the bumper with alignment issues. With time and heat, the damage was irreversible and now more time and money are wasted. Ben even installed a new bumper he had in the warehouse and took pictures of how it should fit.

I would like to thank Ben from Unplugged Performance for taking his time in figuring out what caused the horrible fitment issue. It wasn’t because of the bumper but from the body shop I brought it to.

Furthermore, the third-party body shop didn’t even paint the bumper correctly. They just sprayed a coat of paint without primer or anything which cause my bumper to chip easily. If you are going to get a bumper painted and installed, make sure you double check their background or have UNPLUGGED install the bumper for you. Attached are photos of how the bumper fitment with a new bumper they had."

Even though I make the gap filler part for the OEM install, I still encourage everyone who asks to go with the UP bumper refresh if they can afford it. It looks better and you get service and support. For everyone else who absolutely just HAS to have OEM, I offer an alternative, but know that it requires a bit of modification.

Overall, good luck and long live Tesla!