Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance in Washington State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am selling my 2018 Model 3 and the buyer is in Washington St., She lives in the Mt Vernon area. She inquired about getting insurance from her current provider (Hartford) and they told her that they are not writing insurance for Teslas. Apparently, the difficulty of getting parts is making the repairs take too long to suit them. Tesla insurance does not operate in Washington St either.

Can anyone tell me which insurance companies are good to work with in Washington? for Teslas?

Thank you for your help.

I am selling my 2018 Model 3 and the buyer is in Washington St., She lives in the Mt Vernon area. She inquired about getting insurance from her current provider (Hartford) and they told her that they are not writing insurance for Teslas. Apparently, the difficulty of getting parts is making the repairs take too long to suit them. Tesla insurance does not operate in Washington St either.

Can anyone tell me which insurance companies are good to work with in Washington? for Teslas?

Thank you for your help.
My MY is insured with Allstate, haven’t made a claim yet and hopefully never will.

Upvote 0
How much is it costing you all? I'm investigating for a friend who is soon to either buy a 2019 3SR+ (off lease) or lease a new 3SR+ and total cash outlay is an issue. I've yet to get a quote much under $2K a year for 100K/300K, for the reasons the OP stated. Doesn't any of these firms take the fact that fewer Teslas are involved in accidents (and when they are, fewer severe injuries) into consideration? Can't wait until Tesla Insurance is offered in WA...

Upvote 0
How much is it costing you all? I'm investigating for a friend who is soon to either buy a 2019 3SR+ (off lease) or lease a new 3SR+ and total cash outlay is an issue. I've yet to get a quote much under $2K a year for 100K/300K, for the reasons the OP stated. Doesn't any of these firms take the fact that fewer Teslas are involved in accidents (and when they are, fewer severe injuries) into consideration? Can't wait until Tesla Insurance is offered in WA...
I’m paying about $1100 per year with Allstate. I have my wife and I, over 60 and my son is 23 on our policy.

Reactions: wipster
Upvote 0
I’m paying about $1100 per year with Allstate. I have my wife and I, over 60 and my son is 23 on our policy.
Thanks! Way better than the quotes I received from Zebra (they get quotes from every company that offers). My quotes were for a 68 YO single man with a close to perfect driving record living in Pasco (maybe that's what did it... LOL). Plus it was for the 2023 lease.

Upvote 0
Here's a ranking of Northwest Issuers from JD Powers 2022:
2022_US_Auto_Insurance_Rankingchart8.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Insurance companies like to cite high repair costs for Teslas equals high premiums. What they leave out though, is that Teslas are 1/3 to 1/4 as likely to be involved in an accident compared to the national average. I haven't heard what the ratio is of Teslas at fault, as opposed to the other insurance company actually picking up the repair cost is. This points out that "all" insurance companies "are" covering Tesla repairs, if their customer driving a Buick hits one. Comes down to "they charge what they can get away with".

Upvote 0
Going through connect (costco) and Farmer's (the party that did rear-end my brand new model S). The damaged party has to do a large amount of legwork, like uploading pictures in 3 different apps/websites (connect, farmers, tesla app). Can't wait for Tesla insurance to be available in WA state. Connect was able to receive the sentry/dashcam footage, which made whole process faster. A ding on the trunk calls for the whole trunk lid replacement! And PSA, don't scroll and drive, folks, it is very expensive.

Upvote 0