Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2021 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And there lies the problem, we first time buyers fall into this trap. Next year we all be shopping around 3 weeks before and hopefully :rolleyes: saving some money

From personal experience (see post here), I would recommend starting to get quotes as early as possible. My best quote so far was at -28 days (-21 days significantly higher).

... I'll keep checking each week however, just in case there is another 'sweet spot' between now and my 17th June collection day!

Some of my quotes wouldn't last 3 weeks however and there was an admin charge to use a VIN rather than a reg and I didn't get the VIN until 2 weeks away as far as I remember. Hopefully you'll have better luck!

I got lucky as the best quote (Admiral) that I received through Confused.com (no affiliation) remains valid on the day of collection, 28 days from the date of the quote.

I do recognise however that not all insurance companies offer fixed quotes so there is an element of 'luck of the draw' with it all.

Based on my own experience I would recommend that if possible, everyone start getting quotes as early as 28 days before its needed as you may also get lucky with an attractive 'fixed' quote. It doesn't prevent checking again each week to see if the quotes improve so there's nothing to lose (other than the time it takes to refresh the quotes)

Reactions: YorkshireBrew
I went with DL... They were competitive for me but the price went up £80 (10%) when I moved the start date of the policy by 2 days. I think it's generally cheapest to get quotes 21 days before you need the policy but I don't know how anyone would time everything with a new delivery.
I think going with a temporary car insurance for less than a week gap is the best thing to do - if things are getting delayed for few days. I think insurance guys know this game well with Tesla so milk as much as possible. It is just unfortunate when you buy a new Tesla

Reactions: YorkshireBrew
Im with DL and they have quoted me £20 increase from when I swap to the M3 on 22 June until the policy renews on the 8th of Aug, I then asked for a ball park renewal quote and it was around £100 more than what I was paying for the KIA Rio at £370 and was told that was based on 2 years no claim, not 3 years which it would be in August! other info 50 year old male, Wife who has about 30 years no claims is also a named driver.

Comparison sites gave me Admiral at £376 through to Acorn at £4,387.35 with a £900 excess!

What I did note was last year's Kia renewal went up up a heap and I challenged it and it went down by about £150.

This might be interesting to any young drivers here (I'm 24) but I've just spent 2 hours on the phone and managed to get my Tesla M3 Performance insured for £805, which is crazily cheap for me considering the ridiculous prices I've been quoted online (£1300 - £7000). I'm insured with Admiral and already have a car with them so I think I got a small reduction for that.

The guy on the phone was brilliant and hell bent on getting me the cheapest price he could find. I feel like I got really lucky with the support but if you're young definitely check out Admiral and make sure you give them a ring.

I do have a substantial excess of £1150 (£500 voluntary) 😫 but I consider myself a safe driver (don't we all).

Tried ringing Churchill, I got some unhelpful support worker who point blank refused to insure me because it's owned by a business.
How did you manage that?!
I’m in the same boat, already with Admiral and 24. Getting an SR+ but the quoted me something crazy like 3K

How did you manage that?!
I’m in the same boat, already with Admiral and 24. Getting an SR+ but the quoted me something crazy like 3K
First I went to Go Compare to see what quotes were on offer, I found an Admiral quote for about £1080 with 21 days until delivery.

I then rang Admiral, asked to get a quote for adding a car to my existing policy. He quoted me £900 for just 5 months 🤯 (looking at just over £2000 for a year).
I asked what's going on, as I have a quote from Go Compare for £1080 that wasn't even a multicar policy.
He looked into it, rang around and figured that he could use the Go Compare quote (£1080) reference number to make a new multi car policy for me, add my current Polo from my old policy to the new one and cancel my current policy when I pick up the car.

Then he did some magic and reduced it to £805 🤷‍♂️ I would have been happy with £1080 considering other quotes so it was just a bonus.

I also have myself as the Registered Keeper (it's owned by my business, from reading around this seems okay, my accountant also agreed but said he's no expert on insurance), this took down the price by about £300.

I have just had a text from Tesla telling me that they have allocated a registration number for my new Tesla today.

Any idea on how long this will take to filter through so that I can get a quote? Currently it is not returning any results on the comparison sites.

I have just had a text from Tesla telling me that they have allocated a registration number for my new Tesla today.

Any idea on how long this will take to filter through so that I can get a quote? Currently it is not returning any results on the comparison sites.
My one wasn’t registered until the day before I picked it up - no issues with direct line though, just gave them what the plate was going to be and had insurance sorted a few weeks in advance - they were a lot cheaper than I found elsewhere as well

For those who have their exciting texts including their registration plates, have you been able to use them when buying insurance. I've had a quote saved for about a week now, but despite having a text with my registration, I can't add that registration to my policy as it says something along the lines of 'registration not recognised'

I spoke to Oliver on chat who told me that the registration is simply reserved, but wouldn't be registered on the car until collection day. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Reactions: M3Phil
For those who have their exciting texts including their registration plates, have you been able to use them when buying insurance. I've had a quote saved for about a week now, but despite having a text with my registration, I can't add that registration to my policy as it says something along the lines of 'registration not recognised'

I spoke to Oliver on chat who told me that the registration is simply reserved, but wouldn't be registered on the car until collection day. Has anyone else had the same issue?
I’ve sorted insurance for mine today through Admiral. I had to select the car make/model and then add the registration afterwords but worked fine for me (searching by registration came up with vehicle not recognised or similar). I wonder if it’s dependent on insurance providers as to how their systems work. Might be worth a call to see if they can do it over the phone?

Reactions: corbett666

Pretty sure nothing appears matched to the reg plate until it arrives. Which is why it isn't working in the insurance system. I rang, gave them the plate and also the spec of the car.

Reactions: corbett666

Yes I was told the same- the car is not officially registered until collection day so was advised to speak to the insurance company as the online method won’t be able to find the reg plate yet as it’s not official.

Raza on Tesla chat also just provide me with my allocated registration number. Happy days! :cool:

....as this is only allocated and not actually registered until shortly before delivery/collection I guess there is a chance that it could change. Does anyone know what would be the implications for Insurance that was secured against an incorrect reg number? i.e. would it require a full requote or would it be a simple change on the policy?

Raza on Tesla chat also just provide me with my allocated registration number. Happy days! :cool:

....as this is only allocated and not actually registered until shortly before delivery/collection I guess there is a chance that it could change. Does anyone know what would be the implications for Insurance that was secured against an incorrect reg number? i.e. would it require a full requote or would it be a simple change on the policy?
Logic would tell me it would be a quick call to the insurance company to make a change to an admin error. The quote is based on the car and spec so shouldn't require a full requote.

Reactions: M3P_W8

Just for reference, a similar situation happened to Dan on YouTube. Picking up from a different location so they had to register it at that city and changed his reg number. He doesn't mention anything about it changing the price so would hope the same goes for anybody else. Can't be the first time these things happen when picking up brand new cars, has to be a regular occurence.

Reactions: M3P_W8
Logic would tell me it would be a quick call to the insurance company to make a change to an admin error. The quote is based on the car and spec so shouldn't require a full requote.
Thanks. ....that would make sense, but this whole Tesla order process has found me regualry questioning what is and isn't considered to be reasonable! ... I think I'll call the Insurance folks to have them confirm that.

Now I have the reg, easy to get a quote for insurance. Im 50 and this is a little less than for my Volvo v90 cross country. (no points full no claims)

Excess is a bit excessive.

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 70