Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2021 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Direct Line £883 for 10k miles, 0 claims, but 5 years named driver on a direct line policy. Was originally coming up with 1,300 before I clocked the name driver section.

More pricey than I expected what can you do! Other insurers either refuse to lend (churchill, by the miles) while LV and a couple other all quoted £2k!

High excess seems to be a feature of insuring a Tesla!
Also looking at insurance at the moment, Privilege have a £500 excess, Novo have a £1000 excess.

Novo offer (on top of their insurance via their preferred broker) a Motor Policy Excess Protect Cover. Seems to be £49 to insure against having to pay the £1000 excess.

Brief search online returns quite a few companies that offer car insurance excess insurance.

Isn't it interesting... seems it may in some cases work out cheaper to take out both insurance and excess insurance, rather than lower the excess (if it can be).

In some ways it kinda shows how silly insurance can be.

Isn't it interesting... seems it may in some cases work out cheaper to take out both insurance and excess insurance, rather than lower the excess (if it can be).

In some ways it kinda shows how silly insurance can be.

It does.

Makes you wonder why the original insurer doesn’t just offer you a £44 higher premium with zero excess. Presumably they prefer you to have ‘some skin in the game’?

If I'm reading the excess protection correctly for Protectyourthings it only pays out where your claim is greater than the excess, not sure of that is true for all excess cover policies. So if you have £1000 excess and it is a £999.99 repair bill neither the insurance will pay you but if it is £1000.01 then the insurance company pays £0.01 and the excess cover pays £1000.

Must admit I have never understood excess insurance. Insurance companies are *massively* profitable for a reason (the odds are stacked heavily in their favour). So for things that would ruin you (a car getting written off, the liability from injuring or killing someone) then insurance makes perfect sense. But paying £44 a year to not have to pay £1000 (with a bunch of caveats)? I mean why not pay excess insurance insurance (pay a fiver so you don't have to pay the £44)? It's insurance all the way down!

The excess is there to protect the insurance company against frivolous claims (effectively a cost-saving measure that costs them nothing as everyone in the industry does it).

Must admit I have never understood excess insurance. Insurance companies are *massively* profitable for a reason (the odds are stacked heavily in their favour). So for things that would ruin you (a car getting written off, the liability from injuring or killing someone) then insurance makes perfect sense. But paying £44 a year to not have to pay £1000 (with a bunch of caveats)? I mean why not pay excess insurance insurance (pay a fiver so you don't have to pay the £44)? It's insurance all the way down!

The excess is there to protect the insurance company against frivolous claims (effectively a cost-saving measure that costs them nothing as everyone in the industry does it).

Perhaps it helps to look at it like this. Say you have a joint liability or full liability accident causing £1200 of damage.

Now in my world, £1200 is not insignificant and I certainly wouldn't describe the sum as frivolous. However if I have a £1000 excess, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place: is it worth me claiming for £200 with the potential added implications for my premium? Probably not.

Therefore I'm on the hook for 1200 quid, despite being insured. So the question is, do you want to hedge for £44/y. Only you can answer of course, but that's the question with insurance of any kind.

Perhaps it helps to look at it like this. Say you have a joint liability or full liability accident causing £1200 of damage.

Now in my world, £1200 is not insignificant and I certainly wouldn't describe the sum as frivolous. However if I have a £1000 excess, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place: is it worth me claiming for £200 with the potential added implications for my premium? Probably not.

Therefore I'm on the hook for 1200 quid, despite being insured. So the question is, do you want to hedge for £44/y. Only you can answer of course, but that's the question with insurance of any kind.
It's not just the £44, though... it's also the increase in premiums for years to come. Which is why I would probably never claim for that £1200 case.

Reactions: Adopado
Argh. Managed to get a quote for £770 from Admiral which is actually pretty good compared to the rest.

BUT they won't let me lock it in without a reg plate...and I just know its going to go up over the next couple weeks because insurance always does closer to the start date.