Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Not Insured When Driving In EU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just received My insurance renewal quote from LV, and it doesn't provide cover when using EAP in EU. In the Autonomous Driving Section, it says:

Automated vehicles - this section is designed to let you know what your policy will cover you for in the event of a claim if your car is an automated vehicle and is in autonomous mode including but not limited to ALKS.
Accidents caused by your automated vehicle are covered when it is driving itself in accordance with AEVA 2018 on a road or other public place in Great Britain.

We won’t cover:
Accidents which take place outside of Great Britain.

So, I have to drive to Southern Spain without EAP. Are they mad?

Oh, and they've increased my premium by £300. I'll be looking elsewhere.

Reactions: SteelmanMFC
I have just received My insurance renewal quote from LV, and it doesn't provide cover when using EAP in EU. In the Autonomous Driving Section, it says:

Automated vehicles - this section is designed to let you know what your policy will cover you for in the event of a claim if your car is an automated vehicle and is in autonomous mode including but not limited to ALKS.
Accidents caused by your automated vehicle are covered when it is driving itself in accordance with AEVA 2018 on a road or other public place in Great Britain.

We won’t cover:

Isn't this an example of the costly effect for Brexit?

Seeing as Teslas don’t current have an “autonomous” mode, I don’t think this applies. EAP is a driver assistance feature, where the driver remains responsible for the drive. There is nothing autonomous about it. I think the insurance company is introducing wording for L3 when the manufacturer starts taking responsibility, such as with some that now apparently offer L3 (Mercedes?) in limited circumstances.

• Informative
Reactions: M3noob and NewbieT
Seeing as Teslas don’t current have an “autonomous” mode, I don’t think this applies. EAP is a driver assistance feature, where the driver remains responsible for the drive. There is nothing autonomous about it. I think the insurance company is introducing wording for L3 when the manufacturer starts taking responsibility, such as with some that now apparently offer L3 (Mercedes?) in limited circumstances.
"including but not limited to ALKS" - so yeah, even basic Autopilot is banned.

Having said that, unless EAP is responsible for sending a busload of small children to a fiery death, the obvious answer when asked the question is "no". You could get the data yourself from Tesla to prove the opposite, but no insurance company can do so legally.

Reactions: M3noob
Nope. It is however an example of companies taking the piss and then hiding behind Brexit as an excuse.
It’s not that either. The insurance company hasn’t mentioned Brexit or listed countries in the EU as being the restriction, and there are plenty of other countries in Europe that aren’t in the EU where it also applies.

If we want to look for a reason, we’d probably have more success arguing that’s it’s because we’re RHD and only Ireland and I think Cyprus(?) drive on the same side as we do within Europe. That would at least be a plausible reason.

Reactions: Billbrown1982

We won’t cover:

I am not a lawyer but I think the key here is the AEVA 2018 regulations referenced above.
Part 1 Section 8 mentions :
(1)For the purposes of this Part—
(a)a vehicle is “driving itself” if it is operating in a mode in which it is not being controlled, and does not need to be monitored, by an individual;

Therefore, as AP/EAP and even FSD in their current form always require driver supervision as per Tesla's manual, one could argue that their are not in the scope covered by your insurer provision, and therefore, are still covered outside of GB.

If you have one of those new L3 Mercs that can drive without supervision on the Autobahn now, that would be a different story...

Driving in UK is covered.

We won’t cover:
accidents which take place outside of Great Britain.
Are you having a larf? That means it does not cover all the UK
1689526701036.png

AEVA 2018 is for cars that are fully autonomous, for which there are currently none in the UK. EAP is just driver assistance, so you’re fine.

Self-driving vehicles listed for use in Great Britain
I read mine (Churchill) as we're driving down to Switzerland next week. I came to the same conclusion, since Churchill wording references automated as follows:-
Automated car Your car where it is lawfullydriving itself on roads or other public places in Great Britain. Please note that your car must be identified on the Secretary of State’slist of motor vehicles that may safely drive themselves. This identification may be by type, information recorded in a registration document or in some other way

Where am I covered?We’ll only provide the cover in this sub-sectionin Great Britain, which is:> England.> Scotland.> Wales.This is because this sub-section has beenwritten to comply with the laws of Great Britain.If your automated car is involved in an accidentwhen it is lawfully driving itself outside GreatBritain (including when it is lawfully driving itselfin Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or theIsle of Man), the rest of your policy will apply

They do explicitly exclude Northern Ireland and the other channel isles. So yes a policy that covers less of the UK than the UK itself, what utter b*llocks. However, since the car will not be driving itself, I don't see an issue at the moment.

"including but not limited to ALKS" - so yeah, even basic Autopilot is banned.

Having said that, unless EAP is responsible for sending a busload of small children to a fiery death, the obvious answer when asked the question is "no". You could get the data yourself from Tesla to prove the opposite, but no insurance company can do so legally.
Reading the UNECE website, ALKS is their term for L3 autonomous driving. I‘m sticking with my assertion that the insurance company are referring to L3 autonomous driving, and not AP LKA.

Reactions: M3noob