Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

INSURANCE - the Gecko was right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If insurance gets to be a barrier to Tesla ownership, Elon will start up a world class insurance alternative and capture a slice of this lucrative business.

Traditional insurance companies will be left out in the cold, as the world converts to the much safer automatious transportation.

I left AAA after 27 years when they got picky about insuring my home and autos. They seem to only want to cherry pick insuring those customers with the least chance of filing a claim. They also tend to drop any of their customers that have more than perfect claim histories.

After all the discussion here, I ended up dropping USAA for my homeowners and auto. I don't yet have a Tesla, but instead a Leaf, which was higher to insure than another newer vehicle I had with a higher residual value. (Electric vehicles are more expensive to repair, I'm told.) In any event, saved about $1050/yr moving to the gecko from USAA. A shame as I had been with USAA for 20 years.But that will end up paying for fully self driving on my Model 3 over the life of it and then some.

Yeah, I have State Farm and I was pleasantly surprised that the Tesla Tax wasn't bad at all. I actually wondered if they hadn't quite
figured out what a Tesla was yet...

I have State Farm and currently insure a Lexus gs350 f sport. The premium will I increase by $85 every 6 months... Seems fair if you ask me considering the Tesla is almost 2x more.

I would also like to add that I have made several claims over past 10 years too...

I'm moving to Long Island, so I've been getting new quotes for auto and home. Allstate straight up refused to insure the Tesla because I was "new business." I've had AAA my entire adult life, and have generally been happy with them, but in NY they seem to be a broker rather than an actual insurer. They gave me a quote from Kemper which was reasonable. State Farm was slightly higher, but still reasonable.

I had a bad experience with GEICO in my pre-Tesla days, though I've seen many people on similar threads give praise.

After all the discussion here, I ended up dropping USAA for my homeowners and auto. I don't yet have a Tesla, but instead a Leaf, which was higher to insure than another newer vehicle I had with a higher residual value. (Electric vehicles are more expensive to repair, I'm told.) In any event, saved about $1050/yr moving to the gecko from USAA. A shame as I had been with USAA for 20 years.But that will end up paying for fully self driving on my Model 3 over the life of it and then some.

Is it a new Leaf? I dropped everything but liability and uninsured motorist on my 2012 because it isn't worth much more than the deductible by book value.

My biggest problem with USAA was they wanted to charge me twice what anyone else would for homeowners (somehow their pogram overvalued my fire risk or cost to rebuild or something?). For the cars USAA was cheaper than everyone else but eSurance on the Leaf and Prius insurance. And by the time you split the policies between two companies the lack of multi policy discount made it not worth the trouble for moving to USAA.

But for a Tesla I'd surely be willing to split policies. The premiums are high enough in to offset a multi policy discount.

I'm kind of surprised people are talking rates with limits but not mentioning the deductible. One of my biggest savings when comparing all the car insurers was finding the ones that would let me set a 1500 or 2000 deductible and give a noticeable drop in premiums for doing so. Is this not as noticeable an effect with a more expensive car?

How does $199 a month for driver with clean record for model S sound? Transparent, simple, month to month. With potential savings via using autopilot, and just super convenient mobile app and such. Full disclosure, its a pitch I'm working on after I was unhappy with options for my Model S. Open to feedback. http://www.sparkcoverage.com
Sounds like $2,400 per year.
I'm paying $1,200 per year to insure my Model S at State Farm, with a clean driving record. It's literally half as much. :D
Edit: with 1K deductible

Last edited:
hmm thats good to know. Yeah i was based on 500 deductible. Is there anything else you would like to see from insurance for tesla? like my plan is to have people save based on autopilot or if its parked at home. So like metromile but where the thing doesnt brick your OTA updates, because data is from the car itself. So it would be even less. I only have general pricing estimates right now, working with some actuaries and such.

Don't know if the rates in California are just higher, but I'm paying $752 a year for my Model S here in PA with an accident on my record and two drivers under 25 in the house. So that sounds high to me.
dang thats crazy. For me in CA as a 29 year old the cheapest i could find was 280 per month. So 200 sounded like a good deal, and worked with my researched numbers. I guess prices can vary alot. I do have one ticket on record. I imagine CA is also a factor. InsureMyTesla (lib mutual) was quoting me 400 per month.

I’m surprised no one hasn’t mentioned farmers. We had State Farm for 6 years and when we got our S100D, they wanted ~$600/yr over everyone except for Allstate and liberty mutual (when we considered our home, auto, and umbrella together). Farmers was actually very close to geico’s quote but was better rated in California as far as insurance complaint ratios and customer feedback. They also offered a great rate on home (better than State Farm). They also have true paperless billing, which State Farm STILL doesn’t have.

My Farmers here was a joke. 2x the cost of State Farm for my 3 Teslas. Farmers wanted like $1300 for 6 months per vehicle, State Farm was $650 for 6 months. I have some of my cars on Farmers and some on State Farm and a couple on Liberty now. I just go to each one and find the best rate any time I get a new car now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evoforce
dang thats crazy. For me in CA as a 29 year old the cheapest i could find was 280 per month. So 200 sounded like a good deal, and worked with my researched numbers. I guess prices can vary alot. I do have one ticket on record. I imagine CA is also a factor. InsureMyTesla (lib mutual) was quoting me 400 per month.
I actually was with Liberty Mutual prior to this and their InsureMyTesla quote was ridiculous.

Reactions: madebydouglas