Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance / trackers / tracker blockers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last March, a couple of weeks before I picked up my brand new M3LR I went through the trauma of getting it insured. Back then I was asked “does the car have a tracker?” A year ago I knew that the car had something but was not sure exactly what – a year later I now know what the car has but the question is – does my Tracker qualify for a ‘Yes’ answer to the insurance companies question “does the car have a tracker?”

Searching google on this question the words Tracker Blocker came up (£20 on Amazon)- what is a tacker blocker?

I called a Tracker company and they told me that these 'blockers' blocked the GPS signal and their system uses GPS and VHS (GPS for me on my phone and VHS for them and the £200 a year monitoring service).

I presume the Tesla Tracker is using GPS and not VHS (hope I am wrong) which means that, as a theft deterenet it is pretty much useless?

Usually when you're doing insurance stuff, they're referring to Thatcham approved trackers. Tesla's isn't.
If they really being as vague as tracker, then you could just pop an apple airtag in, or for arguments sake, a smoke signal every day. It's trackable right?
I suspect though that although vague when they ask you, the wads of legal paperwork they expect you to read make it clear it's a Thatcham approved one.

I presume the Tesla Tracker is using GPS and not VHS (hope I am wrong) which means that, as a theft deterenet it is pretty much useless?
On this question . . . . I called Tesla and they said that the Tesla Tracker is GPS and Blue Tooth (via a SIM) and so even if the GPS is blocked I can still track it over the internet . . . . . unfortunately he wasn't clear on how I could do that !!

On this question . . . . I called Tesla and they said that the Tesla Tracker is GPS and Blue Tooth (via a SIM) and so even if the GPS is blocked I can still track it over the internet . . . . . unfortunately he wasn't clear on how I could do that !!

It doesn't use Bluetooth. It uses a mobile signal. GPS to work out where it is, and mobile to send that back to Tesla for you to see in the app etc.

The question follows - why is it not 'approved' / what does it fail on . . . I have called Thatchem and waiting for them to call me back

I'd guess at either/both:
1) Because tesla have never applied.
2) Most likely because it doesn't meet the requirements Thatcham have, could be a really pedantic none issue, or could be something fundamental.

I've had a tracker in a previous car, and it's not something I'd ever want a again. The faff of getting it registered, and then the annual tax for it. No thanks.

So: did the insurance you used for the the last year require a tracker? (if so they weren't/aren't going to pay out if it is nicked) 'or is it a newly added requirement from your insurance company at renewal (or perhaps you are considering a different insurance company that you would, now, like to move to).

I can't see Tesla's inbuilt "tracker" ever being seen by insurance companies as appropriate (if they require Thatcham approved).

So if insurance company says they need one then you'll either have to get one fitted or go to a different insurance company (or reduce the insured value to under the insurance company's limit for Tracker - that's what I did on mine)

I've had a tracker in a previous car, and it's not something I'd ever want a again

me too ... however that one was stolen and police retrieved it within a dozen miles ... kids dined out as they had to scramble a 'chopper as they said they didn't have anything that could catch it ...

Reactions: phil4
I presume VHF (very high frequency) is claimed to be blocked, instead of that odd looking cassette thingie ;)

I don’t report mine as having a tracker (per the manufacturer default specification), as doing so can boost quoted premiums by hinting that vehicle is at higher risk of theft and/or value.

Last edited:
Also a little curiosity, if I do say 'Tracker' (per mention in manual, or Samsung SmartTag etc.) then that enables the spurious 1st Central insurer (rated 1.68/5), but only because they can’t resolve the non-Thatcham Tesla models. So seems two security devices is the magic to enable them, but then can’t actually get a quote, which is a shame as they’re £100 under my best mainstream insurer this time (Churchill). Was about to complain, before realising they hadn't replied to my complaint about it last year.

I’ve got Datatool trackers fitted to my bikes as it’s virtually impossible to insure them without one over a certain value / risk now. They are all Thatcham rated / approved.

Good points are that they are actively monitored, so if you forget say to put it in workshop mode you get a call within seconds of disconnecting the battery.

So to my mind it as much about the 24/7 active monitoring aspect more than anything.

Bad points - they aren’t invincible, so if there is a situation, you have minutes to act before it’s gone. Sophisticated thieves have been known to rip them out, jam or defeat them. Again acting fast is paramount. On bikes they are a battery hog. On cars generally less of an issue.

My Taycan has one factory fitted. You dont have to activate it, but if you decide to, then it’s activated OTA. Nothing physical to be fitted etc.

It very much depends on the insurer. LV basically accept anything that can be tracked (they even said my leaf had a tracker, and anyone who ever tried to use 'find my leaf' knows how rubbish that was) and never had any issues with the tesla one. Admiral didn't even ask.. (and their renewal this year was 30% less than the meercats could do, so staying with them). I presume DL are fine because they do the whole 'tesla insurance' thing and will know all about the cars. TBH I wouldn't accept something like that unless it was a large discount.

btw. as it was mentioned above.. I expect tracking the car by trangulating the esim is possible but I've not heard of Tesla actually doing that.

After an email from my current insurer (Co op) asking about my 'tracker' to be clear I called Tesla again they told me that:
1. The Tracker has GPS and a SIM card and
2. If I can't 'track' it and . . . if it is stolen I can call Tesla and once I have cleared security (I am me (VIN etc.,)) they can track it via the sim card.

Certainly for vehicles newer than the legacy S that SIM card is integrated into the circuit board in a generally non-removable manner, effectively making the EV itself the tracker device. Yet a £20 GPS blocker is capable of thwarting the location of it, like any other cellular tracker approach.

Worth discussing Pin-2-Drive with insurer too, essentially a form of electronic immobiliser.

1) The only answer to that is : you have to call, get a confirmation either in writing or via this recorded conversation of whether or not the Tesla built-in system is considered by your insurer as eligible

2) is the premium difference significant if you select yes vs. no? If not, don't take any chances and select no. At least this will not be grounds for a claim denial if anything were to happen.

After an email from my current insurer (Co op) asking about my 'tracker' to be clear I called Tesla again they told me that:
1. The Tracker has GPS and a SIM card and
2. If I can't 'track' it and . . . if it is stolen I can call Tesla and once I have cleared security (I am me (VIN etc.,)) they can track it via the sim card.
Tesla's do not have built in Thatcham approved trackers. So as far as insurance companies are concerned they don't have a tracker. Its not approved for many reasons including the fact that all the components are in the same place in every car so thieves can easily find and disable it. Custom trackers are hidden in the car so thieves don't know where they are or if they even exist.
Most insurers don't seem to care if Tesla M3/MY have a tracker. Maybe just find a different insurer? Your current one will probably try to rip you off at renewal anyway

Reactions: MrT3
Totally agree, I was with Bell Telematics (the 3-month version) from new and despite getting Gold rating ended up with a hiked premium and left. Now whole Admiral Group declines to quote for mine this year.

One of the comparison sites (CompareTheMarket) will allow you to select non-Thatcham alarm/immobiliser as an option.