Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trackers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any of you had a tracker fitted?

I am thinking about getting a tracker fitted - why? Clearly car theft is on the rise and clearly the Police are doing NOTHING unless the thief gives himself up. And . . . when I insured my M3 for the first time earlier this year that question was asked by insurance companies so it may be that if I get one fitted I might get cheaper insurance.

Yes I know the car is fitted with a tracker but that Tesla tracker is located in the same place on every car and the thief knows where that is and can rip it out (Note: I don't where it is and how accessible it is?).

Thoughts ?

I am thinking about getting a tracker fitted - why? Clearly car theft is on the rise and clearly the Police are doing NOTHING unless the thief gives himself up. And . . . when I insured my M3 for the first time earlier this year that question was asked by insurance companies so it may be that if I get one fitted I might get cheaper insurance.

Yes I know the car is fitted with a tracker but that Tesla tracker is located in the same place on every car and the thief knows where that is and can rip it out (Note: I don't where it is and how accessible it is?).

Thoughts ?
They could rip it out but as its on the main board it would render the car useless.

A tracker isn’t going to deter a thief but might increase your chances of getting back a car that needs repair. If you’re concerned get a tracker sticker instead.

I agree police car theft stats are ridiculous- you may as well not bother reporting it, the police are very unlikely to prosecute anyone. Of course needed for the insurance claim.

Very few TM3’s stolen. I don’t recall ever seeing anyone post on here with a stolen TM3 stolen in the UK. Insurance premiums probably high due to performance and repair costs.

Reactions: Adopado

Thoughts ?
If you have an iPhone consider investing £29 in an Apple AirTag. It’s small and easy to hide in the vehicle and makes an excellent and inexpensive tracker device.

A tracker isn’t going to deter a thief but might increase your chances of getting back a car that needs repair. If you’re concerned get a tracker sticker instead.

I agree police car theft stats are ridiculous- you may as well not bother reporting it, the police are very unlikely to prosecute anyone. Of course needed for the insurance claim.

Very few TM3’s stolen. I don’t recall ever seeing anyone post on here with a stolen TM3 stolen in the UK. Insurance premiums probably high due to performance and repair costs.
When I was researching my M3 purchase last summer I found out only one M3 had been reported stolen in the UK (anyone say insurance fraud 🤣).
I’d recommend Pin to drive as the best defence.
Apple Air Tags are ace and last about a year before battery replacement (cheap and a diy job). They also work as holiday luggage trackers.
If you want to deter a thief, use a steering lock. Todays thief’s will go find another car rather than battle one.

The only time I’ve had a tracker was when it was a requirement of the insurance company. To be honest it won’t stop the professional thief as they can locate and remove it in seconds. Even a fairly amateur theif knows just to just put the car in a container to block the signal. Unless it’s going to save you a significant amount on your insurance, I wouldn’t bother.

If you have an iPhone consider investing £29 in an Apple AirTag. It’s small and easy to hide in the vehicle and makes an excellent and inexpensive tracker device.
Get the multipack and put one in a fairly easy to find place and at least 1 other in a tough to find spot. Can even open the hidden AirTag up and remove the speaker so even a determined person can’t find it without opening every panel and crevice.

I’m not sure an AirTag would be that useful as the thief, assuming they use an iPhone, would get an alert that there was one moving with them. It’s there to try an prevent them being used for stalking/spying and believe Tile now has something similar. Of course there is a chance a thief will abandon the car rather than try and find it, especially if it is hidden well. The professional thief will just use a bluetooth jammer to block the signal (they cost about £100).

Reactions: Danzr
Do insurance companies accept that there is a tracker fitted to the car? I tried to get a quote and they asked this question to which I said yes and they asked me which tracker it was. I just said the Tesla one. To be fair the person on the phone also asked (after I said it was a Tesla Y) wether it was petrol or diesel......
Yes. Admiral said on the phone to me “it’s a Tesla so it has a tracker as standard doesn’t it?”

I hid an air tag on a kit car id built. Absolutely not going to stop it getting stolen but could accurately see where it was almost all the time. (I attach one to my toddler when we go anywhere busy as a last line of defence if he wonders off) Tile tags have the same effect for android users. However the insurance company didn’t class it as a tracker and there was a big list of requirements to make it pass as such (professionally installed to the wiring system, doesn’t require a smart phone, not removable etc).

As above, use pin to drive and it’s going nowhere.

Reactions: candida
The current trend for high value car crime is stripping parts. Catalytic converters, wheels, but recently (and relevant to Teslas) seats, steering wheels, wing mirrors etc.

Not much you can do about that, even with a security camera you’re unlikely to get an identifiable image, and that’s assuming the police will even care…

A few points from my perspective:
Note I’m waiting for my car to be delivered so my thinking may change in the future!

- the car has a manufacturer fitted tracker
- I’m a fan of AirTags & Tiles, just used a 3-pack for my holiday luggage - can see if they made it onto the plane - but they add nothing in this scenario
- I’m not a fan of pin to drive. If a thief is stupid enough to try and take the car, who knows what they will do to get the pin. I’d rather they take the car and I get it back / insurance. Plus the inconvenience.
- I have home security cameras (you can get good battery/wireless ones on Amazon, see Eufy).
- Tesla has sentry mode if you are that paranoid

Last edited: