Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my Tesla SR+ March 2021, insured with esure. Renewed in January (I just replace my previous car so renewal date was the same). £429 for the year.

Just rang up to get a quote to switch to a LR AWD - delivery due in a couple of weeks. £322 increase and thats if they waive the admin fee of £26 (so kind). That seems a crazy increase for a car thats less than £10k more expensive, has most of the identical bits as the SR+ and is only I think two groups higher on the insurance (think the RWD was 48)

perhaps I shouldn't have been so quick to change to a LR and should have checked the insurance first

edit : LV - £933.

Compare the market - churchill £496. Much better. Plus whatever annoying cancellation charge esure will give me..
Admiral - £498
Direct Line - £433 with a £500 voluntary excess and £200 mandatory which is less than churchill. Goes up to £466 with legal cover.

Last edited:
I’ve only managed to get quotes from the comparison websites, Direct Line/Churchill don’t have MY on their systems yet, but 7 years NCD, 33yo in London coming back at a palatable £3500

Any idea why Aviva don’t have Tesla as an option when quoting?

I have a M3 RWD Black/Aero/Black/EAP on order showing March delivery. Direct Line have quoted £263.17 to insure this with £450 excess and including wife as second driver. But I am recently retired and drive less than 5,000 miles per year now so this will cause it to be lower than many others here. My current car is a BMW 520d bought new in Jan 2015 so now 7 years old, the insurance this year on that was £244 and expires 1 March, so very little difference to move to an M3 for me. I just hope I get the reg details before 24 Feb as this is when the quote expires.

Reactions: Mrklaw
I have a M3 RWD Black/Aero/Black/EAP on order showing March delivery. Direct Line have quoted £263.17 to insure this with £450 excess and including wife as second driver. But I am recently retired and drive less than 5,000 miles per year now so this will cause it to be lower than many others here. My current car is a BMW 520d bought new in Jan 2015 so now 7 years old, the insurance this year on that was £244 and expires 1 March, so very little difference to move to an M3 for me. I just hope I get the reg details before 24 Feb as this is when the quote expires.
These numbers are painful

I’ve only managed to get quotes from the comparison websites, Direct Line/Churchill don’t have MY on their systems yet, but 7 years NCD, 33yo in London coming back at a palatable £3500

Any idea why Aviva don’t have Tesla as an option when quoting?
well they actually do. I have a quote from early January from them, for M3 LR at almost palatable 2500 :)))

Just insured my M3P with Direct Line, bit of a pain as it didn't accept the registration number so had to enter car manually to get the quote and then call them to manually enter the registration to pay. When they entered the registration number the quote came back £50 more expensive. We walked back through the process and DL only had 2019 models listed on their site, when they forced it to accept a 2022 model it came back more expensive. Wouldn't budge on price and they are way cheaper than comparison websites so accepted. (Just over £500 fully comp, 10,000 miles a year including business use)

• Disagree
Reactions: LuckyLukeUK
Just insured my M3P with Direct Line, bit of a pain as it didn't accept the registration number so had to enter car manually to get the quote and then call them to manually enter the registration to pay. When they entered the registration number the quote came back £50 more expensive. We walked back through the process and DL only had 2019 models listed on their site, when they forced it to accept a 2022 model it came back more expensive. Wouldn't budge on price and they are way cheaper than comparison websites so accepted. (Just over £500 fully comp, 10,000 miles a year including business use)

when I did mine on DL yesterday the reg didn’t work, and entering model 3, LR, 2022 it came up with two identical cars so I just picked one.

Same things shows up on my quote (shows 2019). Any excuse to put the price up!

Sorry to see in this thread (revisiting after a few weeks) that Peugeot Insurance are no longer doing Teslas. I insured with them in December, and the unthinkable has just happened - someone has scraped the offside front corner of my car while it was parked and unattended in my own driveway! Obviously have full details of the other party, they were visiting us. Peugeot have so far been great - excess waived immediately on first phone call as clearly non-fault, confirmed hire car for full period of repairs, likely to be repaired a way away from home as they will only use an approved Tesla repair shop, and they will recover the car to and from the repairers.

I know some have been worried by their policy wording on Peugeot Official Parts and the like, so posting this as reassurance that yes, this is (was) a legit offer. Those who have this and are nervously awaiting their first claim (which will hopefully never come) should not have any problems.

Well.....today is my "time to start getting quotes" day....so I've done the usual trawl through quotes and have been VERY unhappy with the results.

Last year I did a multi car policy with admiral which was the cheapest I could find.

£935 for a year on my 2021 Model 3
£172 for 9 months on a 14 plate Toyota Verso.

I originally managed to get a quote for around 600 for the Tesla on its own, but then I discovered I still had 6 (spent, but not dropped off yet) points and then got the above quote.

I now have a 100% clean licence. I've got 18 years no claims. Other half has 10 and the best I've managed to get so far for the Tesla on its own is a grand with Direct Line, or just over that with privalage.

Tried to do a multi car quote and it let me go through the whole process and then just said, nope, you appear to already be a customer. (even though I changed as many details as I could to try and avoid this)

So now I don't know what to do. Insure with Directline and then try and find somewhere else for the Verso, or hold fire until Admiral send me my renewal quote and risk other prices increasing as we get closer to renew day.

So Frustrating! I know insurance has gone up and stuff but come on....I'm 39 years old, never had a crash in my entire life, got rakes of no claims...and still getting charged so much more than almost everyone else it seems.

Well.....today is my "time to start getting quotes" day....so I've done the usual trawl through quotes and have been VERY unhappy with the results.

Last year I did a multi car policy with admiral which was the cheapest I could find.

I originally managed to get a quote for around 600 for the Tesla on its own, but then I discovered I still had 6 (spent, but not dropped off yet) points and then got the above quote.

I now have a 100% clean licence. I've got 18 years no claims. Other half has 10 and the best I've managed to get so far for the Tesla on its own is a grand with Direct Line, or just over that with privalage.

Tried to do a multi car quote and it let me go through the whole process and then just said, nope, you appear to already be a customer. (even though I changed as many details as I could to try and avoid this)

So now I don't know what to do. Insure with Directline and then try and find somewhere else for the Verso, or hold fire until Admiral send me my renewal quote and risk other prices increasing as we get closer to renew day.

So Frustrating! I know insurance has gone up and stuff but come on....I'm 39 years old, never had a crash in my entire life, got rakes of no claims...and still getting charged so much more than almost everyone else it seems.
did you try to go to Direct Line via this? InsureMyTesla

I did this and for my surprise I got a better price via this link than going DL directly. Peugeot insurance was still better, even they are not doing those anymore (but still worth to try though!)

Reactions: Billbrown1982
did you try to go to Direct Line via this? InsureMyTesla

I did this and for my surprise I got a better price via this link than going DL directly. Peugeot insurance was still better, even they are not doing those anymore (but still worth to try though!)

Just tried that and it came through at exactly the same price, but I suppose its possible they already had me saved somehow (even though I changed a few things)

I actually went through the quote process on Peugeot because I didn't get the memo that they had stopped insuring us, and found out the hard way they are no longer doing Tesla's.

Not everyone. :)

1288£ last year for 2017 MS 90D
1588£ a quote from DL this year.

But I understand your frustration. So many years of ncd...

Reactions: Billbrown1982