Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Teslans,

I've just purchased Model 3 Long Range recently and awaiting the pickup date. This is going to be soon as yeah, I need an insurance.
I live in London and just learnt this is going to pain...

Anyway, any recommendations for a sane premium for:
  • London (SW)
  • 40+ yo
  • with wife as the 2nd driver
  • no kids, car is (at least for now) going to be parked on a public road
  • company registered car (used as employee benefit though, not for business/commute)
  • no NCD (first car in the UK)
  • EU driver licences
  • if it's a reliable insurer that wouldn't hurt either
I should perhaps read some of the recent pages of that thread, and will, promise. I'd appreciate some insight though.
I've never had a car in the UK or have dealt with the car insurance market*

Which of the above, are likely base of getting a decline or a high premium? I've learnt so far it's the London postcode and (lack of) NCD. Anything else be aware of?

What are the insurance providers/compare site to try?

So for I've tried Direct Line recommended as InsureMyTesla - decline 😥
And I've got a quote from www.lv.com for about £2100. That's hefty, I must admit but no clue how it relates overall (?) Is that insurer worth a go?

Ironically, I work for an insurance company myself but just do my bit around their software so I don't know much about the whole market.
What I know though, they decline London post codes entirely :rolleyes:

I am all ears, folks. Any insight for a 1st-time Tesla driver is welcome too.

And I've got a quote from www.lv.com for about £2100. That's hefty, I must admit but no clue how it relates overall (?) Is that insurer worth a go?

Given your situation I would say £2k is a 'bargain', I suspect LV will want a black box with that policy? If not you have done well. I doubt you will get a cheaper price with anyone else, the fact DL declined you tells you how unattractive you are as a customer.

Hello fellow Teslans,

I've just purchased Model 3 Long Range recently and awaiting the pickup date. This is going to be soon as yeah, I need an insurance.
I live in London and just learnt this is going to pain...

Anyway, any recommendations for a sane premium for:
  • London (SW)
  • 40+ yo
  • with wife as the 2nd driver
  • no kids, car is (at least for now) going to be parked on a public road
  • company registered car (used as employee benefit though, not for business/commute)
  • no NCD (first car in the UK)
  • EU driver licences
  • if it's a reliable insurer that wouldn't hurt either
I should perhaps read some of the recent pages of that thread, and will, promise. I'd appreciate some insight though.
I've never had a car in the UK or have dealt with the car insurance market*

Which of the above, are likely base of getting a decline or a high premium? I've learnt so far it's the London postcode and (lack of) NCD. Anything else be aware of?

What are the insurance providers/compare site to try?

So for I've tried Direct Line recommended as InsureMyTesla - decline 😥

Ironically, I work for an insurance company myself but just do my bit around their software so I don't know much about the whole market.
What I know though, they decline London post codes entirely :rolleyes:

I am all ears, folks. Any insight for a 1st-time Tesla driver is welcome too.
Have you tried Novo?

I'm looking to insure a Model X 100D in London and thought the quoted £1200 was a lot but after seeing some of your messages here I guess it's actually decent...
You really need to shop around and try different comparison websites. U found compare the market .com the cheapest and gocompare .con quotes the most expensive. Also try different profession that is similar to yours as that can make a difference, i.e. rather than manager our office worker, administration. I live in London too and we are paying premium prices here. My cheapest quote came £800 with quote me happy and aviva. There are some insurance companies that are not on comparison websites like direct line so be sure to check those too! Good luck.

Reactions: RichardTheKing
Hello,
I have just received back today an email from "Thatcham Security Assessment ":
The model Y 2022 is a Thatcham approved category 2 immobiliser fitted
1646307867650.png

Hello,
I have just received back today an email from "Thatcham Security Assessment ":
The model Y 2022 is a Thatcham approved category 2 immobiliser fitted
View attachment 776160
Just received another email from "Thatcham Security Assessment ":
"Apologies, you are correct. The Model Y is the latest vehicle. We are currently working with them to hopefully get their vehicles up to a category 1 security standard."
1646324092071.png

in case it helps anyone, I've just renewed my car insurance for my model 3. I have been with Churchill the last 2 years, but this year hiked my premium by 50% at this renewal, despite clean licence and 9 yr + no claims (so no idea why!)

meerkat and direct line yielded similar premiums.... however I am a vitality member, and have been able to insure through them at a slight discount to my previous years premium.

YMMV but worth adding them to the mix when your insurance comes up.

Reactions: Pagemakers
in case it helps anyone, I've just renewed my car insurance for my model 3. I have been with Churchill the last 2 years, but this year hiked my premium by 50% at this renewal, despite clean licence and 9 yr + no claims (so no idea why!)

meerkat and direct line yielded similar premiums.... however I am a vitality member, and have been able to insure through them at a slight discount to my previous years premium.

My next (3rd) Churchill insurance premium will be due early September. The first two were £450 each.
I've had a windscreen replacement (done by Tesla not Autoglass) a few months ago and in spite of "won't affect your premium" it still might be more expensive this year if everyone is getting a 50% boost in premium. :(
I did find shopping around premiums, even from Churchill, £600+ last year so was pleasantly surprised when Churchill only charged "same as first year" renewal premium. I expect to be disappointed this year though.

My next (3rd) Churchill insurance premium will be due early September. The first two were £450 each.
I've had a windscreen replacement (done by Tesla not Autoglass) a few months ago and in spite of "won't affect your premium" it still might be more expensive this year if everyone is getting a 50% boost in premium. :(
I did find shopping around premiums, even from Churchill, £600+ last year so was pleasantly surprised when Churchill only charged "same as first year" renewal premium. I expect to be disappointed this year though.
They have me my cheapest quote this year £100 less than I paid last year so they can still be competitive. I am not a current customer.

try a new customer quote for churchill and be wary that vitality do not offer a tesla loan car or approved tesla repairer

Still waiting on a renewal quote from Admiral for mine that is due up mid August, was £525 last year, just done a compare the market and got a quote of £367 for this year from Churchill, quite amazed i actually found it cheaper to be honest.

Thats for me 34Yrold, 11Yrs No Claims just outside Edinburgh

I wonder as mine as it's a new build estate (3 years old anyway) now my address actually shows up has caused it to go down a bit

Still waiting on a renewal quote from Admiral for mine that is due up mid August, was £525 last year, just done a compare the market and got a quote of £367 for this year from Churchill, quite amazed i actually found it cheaper to be honest.

Thats for me 34Yrold, 11Yrs No Claims just outside Edinburgh

I wonder as mine as it's a new build estate (3 years old anyway) now my address actually shows up has caused it to go down a bit
That's good to know - Im pretty much same 36, 11 years no claims, just a bit further from Edinburgh and it went down £100 last year with Churchill over what they charged the first year, so hopefully it stays same or doesn't vary too much when it's due end of August.

Looks like LV= will now insure cars that are company owned i.e. the registered keeper is a company and not an individual. Previously they wouldn't do this. Just did a quick quote and looks to be roughly the same price wise as Admiral (it was the only insurer at the time who would insure a car that has a registered keeper as a company and not charge more than £1k+). They may have changed policy due to them launching their own EV leasing service ElectriX.

Also worth noting Marks and Spencers also do EV/Hybrid car insurance Electric & Hybrid Car Insurance – Get A Quote | M&S Bank

Last edited: