Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick Q - I now WFH, but do go into the office say once a month max, am I right in thinking I no longer need to add commuting to my insurance query? DL are still the cheapest (£717 now with a re-quote), the others are all over £2000

Good question.

My feeling on this is if you're still traveling into your office albeit only once a month it's still considered a commute. I'm sure you'd be able to get away with not including it though.. but is it worth the risk? Not sure how much it'll add to your premium.

Last edited:
I find commute and reasonable business use add very little. I think any insurance company will not look very favourably on making a claim that looked like it may be a journey to the office for work. If they want to query something, they will enforce their interpretation of what they think are the circumstances. If you are unsure how they may interpret it, give them a call and get their view from horses mouth and if they agree with you, get them to put a note on your file.

I'm getting some pretty punishing quotes on a M3P, but I've only actually telephoned one company so far (my previous insurers). On CompareTheMarket the lowest quote is £1150.

Had a callback this morning from the same people who insured my last 2 cars and they said it was £1500 with a £500-£1000 excess. The guy did say that they felt the Tesla was an unknown quantity so underwriters were erring on the side of caution with it, which I guess makes sense given the nature of it (e.g. only likely to be repairable, if at all, by Tesla themselves, etc).

I do have a fault claim on my record from February (low speed for what it's worth) and an SP30 in August 2016 which isn't helping matters of course, but I'm 41 with 15 years NCD, live in a good postcode, driveway parking, etc. I didn't think it would be this bad - I paid £100 less to insure a 458 not that long ago.

Just to confirm Aviva will insure Tesla 3 performance, (I phoned them) but I think their main criteria at present to allow it, (They will refer to the underwriter first) is you have experience of driving a high performance car IE owned high performance cars in the past.

Quote is approx. £750.00 a year with 5yr bonus, garage, and + £500 Excess BN8 postcode.

That said still double the amount the Volvo XC 60 T8 is.

Reactions: m3gt2
Just to confirm Aviva will insure Tesla 3 performance, (I phoned them) but I think their main criteria at present to allow it, (They will refer to the underwriter first) is you have experience of driving a high performance car IE owned high performance cars in the past.

That's an interesting point. I wonder if insurance companies can see the cars you've had before? Or will they ask?

I've owned a TT, 370z and 335i over the last few years, I wouldn't class them as 'high performance' but I suppose they show some experience of driving cars with a little more power. As opposed to coming from a <200bhp car and jumping into a Model 3.

Quote is approx. £750.00 a year with 5yr bonus, garage, and + £500 Excess BN8 postcode.

That's fairly typical of policies on cars at this level of performance.

That is promising as my fleet insurance is underwritten by Aviva so hopefully when mine arrives they will be able to insure it so I dint need to take a separate policy out :)

Sorry if it's been mentioned before - not read the whole thread - but I had an issue with LV. They were by far the cheapest for my MX (£700) but when i phoned they said the wouldn't insure it without a 3rd party tracker. Had to sort insurance in 1hr on eat to pick up so went with the next cheapest - direct line at £950.

On another note i hadn't realised you can't use NCB on more than one car so that went up to £1300! Will be cancelling my landcruiser policy shortly!

• Informative
Reactions: Keeper

Are you sure this isn't the LHD version? Pretty sure they list the LHD option.

Are you sure this isn't the LHD version? Pretty sure they list the LHD option.

I spoke to them on the phone, they quoted the car on the list, I do not recall it being LHD.

On another note I did try and fill out the LV form on their site for electric cars, it only listed LHD T3, and so I said yes to that, and it still said it could not insure me. what is the point of even putting it on their site.

On another note I did try and fill out the LV form on their site for electric cars, it only listed LHD T3, and so I said yes to that, and it still said it could not insure me. what is the point of even putting it on their site.
My LV form and quote was definitely for a Tesla Model 3 RHD Performance. But they did call it a 5 door for some reason if I remember.