Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked for my pending renewal of my model S with comparethemarket, and found LV to be the cheapest by about £10. (£356).
IO don't bother with direct line, they are scum. they increase your premium each year as a loyalty penalty, and suspiciously refuse to be listed on any comparison sites. plus I hate the fact that I'm paying for their tedious adverts.
UH their adverts are so stupid I hated the fact that they were the cheapest - but now LV is cheaper so hopefully it stays that way until my car is delivered.

Hi all, First post but I hope it’s useful. I picked up my Model 3 SR+ with 19” 2 days ago. It’s incredible!

I phoned my existing insurer, Privilege, to see how much extra I’d need to pay to switch my car and was pleasantly surprised!

My old car was an A Class Merc and cost £358 to insure, only starting 2 weeks ago. Privilege told me I’d get a partial refund of £56 switching to the Model 3 making it just over £300 to insure!

I’m 34 and have 10 years no claims. The compulsory excesses changed a lot, raising from £100 for the A Class to £600 for the 3 but I’m just pleased with the insurance quote!

Anyway, might be worth trying Privilege!

Hopefully it’s useful!
That’s strange, I tried Privilege today, they said they’re not covering model 3 at present, and recommended DIrect Line.

Not entirely true. By visiting the Government web site the recent MOT history of any vehicle can be established, provided the registration is known, together with any faults or failures associated with that vehicle at MOT time. For example, T888 DRH, Blue, Skoda Octavia, covered 13,320 miles between 26/09/18 and 09/08/19 and has issues flagged. Its all there for everyone, including Insurance Companies, to see and check! :cool:

Except that my insurance doesn't run from September to August, so now prove how many miles I've done since my renewal in Jan :p

Ninja edit: I've just remembered that my point there was that since you don't need an MOT until the 3rd anniversary of registration there's nothing to say how many miles you drove per year up until that point.
During the first year they know you started at ~0 but there's no reference point after that so if you had an accident when the car was 30k miles @ 15 months, the insurer can't prove whether you do 15k miles/year (when you told them 6k) or did 25k in the first year and only 5k since then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keeper
Thanks for the updates everyone here - great news about LV, already with them for my car so makes adding the M3 dead easy before selling my Golf.

Conparethemarket quotes 356 for the LR, which is the same as the P3 funnily enough.

Because they are powerful cars and worth 50k+ I can only imagine the algo is really aggressive for location and age. I'm in a sleepy Welsh village, and 39, 8 years NCB.
Just got my quote with LV for car pick up on Friday. Was actually more than the £356 above, and this wasn't saved in my comparethemarket account rather annoyingly. Anyway still decent at £427 (and the difference is not that much as it's pro-rata rate until renewal in February as I am an existing customer).

Just need to phone with my license plate on Friday. God willing all goes well. On Friday the 13th. With Tesla.

One cool thing to note, LV are now adding free additional services for EV cover:
- theft and damage for charging point/accessories (claims can affect premiums etc, but nice to have the option)
- free recovery to nearest compatible charger if run out of the ol' electro juice. Or recovery to the next one if the first is not available.

Do I need to call LV to get a reasonable Tesla rate? just tried to get insurance for standard range plus and it came out at £960 per year

39 year old and 13 years no claims, 5k miles per year

Seems a bit even for Manchester. Nissan Leaf was £430 last year.

Anyone else in Manchester had a decent quote?

Do I need to call LV to get a reasonable Tesla rate? just tried to get insurance for standard range plus and it came out at £960 per year

I would. My quote with LV is £290 on a M3P+ 10000m.p.a. I am 48 with full NCB.

Sods law......SR+ due at the end of the month. Price up insurance around £450 annual.

Saturday morning someone runs into my Golf gti doing a fair bit of damage. Insurance saying it will probably be 50/50 unless I can prove otherwise (she's saying I hit her)

That will be the £450 quotes out the window......:mad::mad::mad:

Compare the market website will include LV if you didn't try that yet?

Sods law......SR+ due at the end of the month. Price up insurance around £450 annual.

Saturday morning someone runs into my Golf gti doing a fair bit of damage. Insurance saying it will probably be 50/50 unless I can prove otherwise (she's saying I hit her)

That will be the £450 quotes out the window......:mad::mad::mad:
Errrrrgh, sorry to hear that. If you take out the new insurance before settling the claim can it be avoided? I don't know how they word such things.

Your £430 for the Leaf is about twice what I was paying for a Leaf/Kona, and your £960 is about double what I’m paying for my LR AWD, so it’s perhaps your location as much as anything. I’m 60, 10 years NCD, rural Derbyshire, 15k miles, car garaged at night.

No it will go down as an unsettled claim, basically they will deduct the NCB and quote as a fault claim, basically assuming worst case scenario until it's settled.

yeah - NCB is protected so not all bad but just a pain in the arse to have to deal with it all. I suspect it won't be settled that quickly either as both parties are denying liability at present so will end up 50/50% unless some magical "independent" witness appears......

Was on a petrol station forecourt which I find amusing considering it could be one of my lats visits to one as well!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yeah - NCB is protected so not all bad but just a pain in the arse to have to deal with it all. I suspect it won't be settled that quickly either as both parties are denying liability at present so will end up 50/50% unless some magical "independent" witness appears......

Was on a petrol station forecourt which I find amusing considering it could be one of my lats visits to one as well!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Isn't there CCTV if it was on a forecourt?

Isn't there CCTV if it was on a forecourt?

yes there is. I can request it but it's likely to be rejected.

Since other people are identifiable in the CCTV pictures, then the images would be considered personal information and it is likely they would be exempt from the Freedom of Information Act.

A load of nonsense if you ask me but my insurance said it could take months to get the cctv footage and even then it could be inconclusive

yes there is. I can request it but it's likely to be rejected.

Since other people are identifiable in the CCTV pictures, then the images would be considered personal information and it is likely they would be exempt from the Freedom of Information Act.

A load of nonsense if you ask me but my insurance said it could take months to get the cctv footage and even then it could be inconclusive

I work with these kind of requests and they should give you a copy of the cctv after it has been redacted to hide any other people apart from you, good luck