Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
got my collection date for 19th for a P+

Insurance is still a problem still getting a quote for 1092 from churchill using comparethemarket

excess: 600
including legal cover and full 9+ years no claims protection

can't see a way of getting this reduced any further

not sure , what you mean, what link is there to insurance through mytesla account ? going to Churchill direct is more expensive then comparethemarket

Seems like Direct Line has been removed as the Tesla approved insurer, don't blame them as their prices were rubbish for some.

Here is currently the best way to get a Tesla Model 3 insurance price for my experience:
Best way to get insurance quote now is through GoCompare they are offering £250 excess refund plus if you go through Quidco you get £31 Cashback (120919) the prices are the same as comparethemarket so worth it for the extra cover and Cashback increase (comparethemarket is £25 on Quidco)

The best insurers on the comparison sites are usually LV, Direct Line, Churchill and Admiral for most.

Here is currently the best way to get a Tesla Model 3 insurance price for my experience

Thanks, did just that.

Note: played around with voluntary excess and £300-350 is the sweet spot for me for all the quotes

Best quote i got was £666 from LV - they also offer free EV recovery to a charging point - I picked my usual, protected no claims and a like for like courtesy car. The only issue is that windscreen replacement is £190

Next best was churchill. Funnily enough, Money supermarket quoted me £722 and GoCompare quoted £670 for exactly the same quote. I have 2 quotes saved on my churchill account now.

Doing a direct line quote online, doesn't let you pick the car until you select "diesel" or "petrol". :rolleyes:

Direct Line quote is £644 and windscreen replacement is £75 (£10 for repair) which is the cheapest of the lot. But all the extras are expensive. Once I confirm the same extras as LV it becomes £757.12

Reactions: Rooster6655
The best insurers on the comparison sites are usually LV, Direct Line, Churchill and Admiral for most.

Didn't think DL were on the comparison sites?

My recommendation with DL is not to take the first quote offered. We just got our 30 day valid quote in with them as we have 6 months or so still to run on current car. I told him that it had gone up since they quoted in May, and magically, some discounts became available. Will look again come proper renewal. I did same with household a short while ago, premium went down over last year not the increase as in renewal letter. All it took was a 5 minute phone call.

Didn't think DL were on the comparison sites?

My recommendation with DL is not to take the first quote offered. We just got our 30 day valid quote in with them as we have 6 months or so still to run on current car. I told him that it had gone up since they quoted in May, and magically, some discounts became available. Will look again come proper renewal. I did same with household a short while ago, premium went down over last year not the increase as in renewal letter. All it took was a 5 minute phone call.

Your right, I ignore them as its double the price of LV for me so didn't notice they weren't there.

The best insurers on the comparison sites are usually LV, Churchill and Admiral for most.

Then do Direct Line and Novo Insurance direct

Sorry - was on the iPad so autocorrect made me sound like a drunk uncle.

I found going direct to DL et al. gave me cheaper quotes than going to comparison sites. Quidco is a stellar thing - I get hundreds of cashback each year for setting up utilities via that site.

Out of interest, what extras do you go for?

I usually only do NCB protection

NCB, Legal and like for like courtesy car. The courtesy car is nice especially since they treat you better, for longer and don't give you a shitbox. And Legal is like mob protection money.... Probably will never needed, but if I do I might end up having to re-mortgage. for LV everything was included apart from the nicer courtesy car, which was another £20. For Direct Line it's £26 for legal £64 for NCB and £36 for car (don't remember the exact numbers)

I guess with LV they get the money back if you get a screen chip... But I like those cable damage and EV recovery freebies, no mention of those from DL or Churchill.

Reactions: Rooster6655
LV are still coming out the best for me.

Here are my details if it helps anyone else try and get a comparable quote?

£415 with £500+£500 excess.
£433 with £200+£500 excess.
£530 with £0+£500 excess.

Both early 30s, Yorkshire:

2019-09-12_12-31-18.jpg
2019-09-12_12-29-45.jpg

View attachment 453652 View attachment 453653

Did you see how much £1000 excess protection cost? I'm guessing it would be less than the £115 difference and you would get it if it was a fault or no fault claim.

Just checked what LV would cost with zero NCD... £544, compared to £350 with 10years. Better than I expected, particularly since it makes it easier to sell the old car if I have more flexability with the timing. Just need a delivery date now...

View attachment 453652 View attachment 453653

In this case I would just use go compare and they will cover the £200 excess (apparently) save you £100 on the premium then!

• Helpful
Reactions: anon37485
Seems like Direct Line has been removed as the Tesla approved insurer, don't blame them as their prices were rubbish for some.

Here is currently the best way to get a Tesla Model 3 insurance price for my experience:
Best way to get insurance quote now is through GoCompare they are offering £250 excess refund plus if you go through Quidco you get £31 Cashback (120919) the prices are the same as comparethemarket so worth it for the extra cover and Cashback increase (comparethemarket is £25 on Quidco)

Don’t forget this option from Car Excess Insurance | Save money vs. your add-on policy they say:
This Personal Motor Excess Insurance (£40 per annum) will reimburse the value of your excess under your motor policy, or the sum of £1000 (Whichever is less) in respect of each claim paid under your motor insurance policy which occurs within the territorial limits arising as a result of:
 fire, theft, attempted theft, flood vandalism or an accident that was your fault or partially your fault; or
 where you have been unable to recover your excess from a liable third party within a six month period of the date of claim.

Don’t forget this option from Car Excess Insurance | Save money vs. your add-on policy they say:
This Personal Motor Excess Insurance (£40 per annum) will reimburse the value of your excess under your motor policy, or the sum of £1000 (Whichever is less) in respect of each claim paid under your motor insurance policy which occurs within the territorial limits arising as a result of:
 fire, theft, attempted theft, flood vandalism or an accident that was your fault or partially your fault; or
 where you have been unable to recover your excess from a liable third party within a six month period of the date of claim.

Thats good if you want to cover your excess and puts a value on the GoCompare freebie as £20

Actually worked out £200 more for me even though i used a lower excess of £250 , total price came in at 1200 , so at the moment churchill via comparethemarket is the cheapest at 1092

Did you see how much £1000 excess protection cost? I'm guessing it would be less than the £115 difference and you would get it if it was a fault or no fault claim.
I was quoted £47.50 for 1000. not on a Tesla but don't see why it would make much difference
https://www.confused.com/motor-excess-insurance
The only thing to remember is that it is £1000 TOTAL for the year not per claim so if you plan to have multiple accidents you will only be covered for the first one. Mind you given the probable repair time on a model 3 at the moment its probably not possible to have more than one accident in a year anyway :)

It does say that but its a bit misleading since it also says in the small print of what is not covered:
" claims exceeding the aggregate limit of £1000 in any one period of insurance"
Which to me means yeah you can have your total excess back for each claim but only if the total does not exceed £1000.
Not saying it is a bad deal. it's the best value one I have seen but you just need to know what you are buying!