Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does say that but its a bit misleading since it also says in the small print of what is not covered:
" claims exceeding the aggregate limit of £1000 in any one period of insurance"
Which to me means yeah you can have your total excess back for each claim but only if the total does not exceed £1000.
Not saying it is a bad deal. it's the best value one I have seen but you just need to know what you are buying!

That only applies to the excess part so they will only reimbursement unto £1000 once

In the last month my insurance quotes have gone up by about £100 which is frustrating! Best value for me now is LV @ £560 this is for the SR+. This includes;

34 Years old
Upto 15k miles (SDPC)
12 Years No Claims (protected)
£300 voluntary excess (£500 compulsory)

All the quotes I've done are online, is it worth phoning around as well?

As Tesla appear confident my Model 3 will arrive on or before 9th October (I know, disclaimers apply) I took a look at insurance this morning to try and lock in a quote ready for delivery day. Go Compare suggested LV as the best price, £385. Happy with that. And, as LV are my current insurer I called them. Result was that a quote to amend my current policy when the Tesla arrives will cost me £28 for the remainder of the policy which is an annual equivalent price of, yep, £385. I love it when a plan comes together :) All I need to do now is phone them with the registration number and delivery date and the policy will be switched over.

Couple of interesting snippets.

- Excess is high, £500 compulsory plus £250 optional. I’d better be careful!
- I was asked “does it have a tracker?” I was unsure, mentioned that it had an app that allowed me to view the car’s location but that I wasn’t sure if this qualified as a tracker. She went to check and said that yes, LV do consider that Tesla’s have trackers.
- I was asked “does it have a dashcam?” I said yes to this as I believe it does if I connect a suitable flash drive to record. I assume this is correct, if anyone thinks differently please advise.
- LV insurance for EVs also has, as standard, a specific service to provide recovery to the closest charging station in the event that you run out of charge. No impact on excess or no claims. That’s pretty good I think.

Reactions: Roy W.
As Tesla appear confident my Model 3 will arrive on or before 9th October (I know, disclaimers apply) I took a look at insurance this morning to try and lock in a quote ready for delivery day. Go Compare suggested LV as the best price, £385. Happy with that. And, as LV are my current insurer I called them. Result was that a quote to amend my current policy when the Tesla arrives will cost me £28 for the remainder of the policy which is an annual equivalent price of, yep, £385. I love it when a plan comes together :) All I need to do now is phone them with the registration number and delivery date and the policy will be switched over.

- I was asked “does it have a tracker?” I was unsure, mentioned that it had an app that allowed me to view the car’s location but that I wasn’t sure if this qualified as a tracker. She went to check and said that yes, LV do consider that Tesla’s have trackers.
- I was asked “does it have a dashcam?” I said yes to this as I believe it does if I connect a suitable flash drive to record. I assume this is correct, if anyone thinks differently please advise.
- LV insurance for EVs also has, as standard, a specific service to provide recovery to the closest charging station in the event that you run out of charge. No impact on excess or no claims. That’s pretty good I think.
I’m with LV too, and my deal up to renewal at the end of October was about the same - £28 plus the £15 admin fee.

I had the same conversations about tracker and dashcam, and got the same responses as you, that both apply.

As for the excess, yes, it’s the highest I’ve ever had. Unfortunately it often doesn’t matter how careful you are, it’s all the other mad-heads on the road... so at renewal I’m going to take out the £1000 excess cover for £40 ;)

LV was also cheapest for me at least quoted so far, compulsory same for me as well. I answered yes to both tracker and dashcam as it does! I also liked the EV specific features as well as the battery cover and cover for cables, chargers, adapters, etc.

Many years ago I had to claim with LV on their uninsured driver cover as I was hit by an uninsured driver and they were excellent

Reactions: Thomami
£500 annual premium with LV. Happy with that as I was worried with my ongoing claim from last week with my current insurers it was going to be much higher.

Looks ok as they offer some good extra's.

Just phoning to check they are ok with my current ongoing claim on my golf gti getting fixed. I did input it into the quote but want to check directly with them. Estimated £3k damage!!! Unreal....Small bump in a garage but cars just crumple these days so bumper/ wing/ headlight/ headlight washer need replaced plus some paint work etc.....

I bet if it was no insurance they would be quoting half of that for sure.....

Now just need EST money to come through and reg number as LV say they can't insure without reg number (won't accept vin number)

Picking up a week today

Reactions: Roy W.
£500 annual premium with LV. Happy with that as I was worried with my ongoing claim from last week with my current insurers it was going to be much higher.

Looks ok as they offer some good extra's.

Just phoning to check they are ok with my current ongoing claim on my golf gti getting fixed. I did input it into the quote but want to check directly with them. Estimated £3k damage!!! Unreal....Small bump in a garage but cars just crumple these days so bumper/ wing/ headlight/ headlight washer need replaced plus some paint work etc.....

I bet if it was no insurance they would be quoting half of that for sure.....

Now just need EST money to come through and reg number as LV say they can't insure without reg number (won't accept vin number)

Picking up a week today

£500 with claim is still cheaper than my 13 NCB so I'd be happy!

go compare have just quoted me with Churchill 2,097.76 when Churchill was quoting me 1650 at one point... errr no I wont go through them lol

Does anyone else keep on getting errors with LV? Mine always says "We have identified some issues with your application. If you want to discuss these details please call us on 0800 756 8020" when I click to submit. All other sites are fine, though...

In the last month my insurance quotes have gone up by about £100 which is frustrating! Best value for me now is LV @ £560 this is for the SR+. This includes;

34 Years old
Upto 15k miles (SDPC)
12 Years No Claims (protected)
£300 voluntary excess (£500 compulsory)

All the quotes I've done are online, is it worth phoning around as well?
If you have the time, give it a go, but that looks par for the course to me, or pretty near it. Certainly LV= got my business after a fair bit of research. My quote is considerably less, but I am 60 and live in one of the UK's lowest insurance cities, same mileage and NCB as you.

Reactions: Christiez
LV -beware

Just be careful with LV. I had a quote on 6th September for £302 incl legal and protected NCB. Because I hadn't got the car I gave a start date of 30th.

Just called in with my vehicle reg and asked cover to start tomorrow. Because the start date has changed from 30th to 27th then cover is now £420!!! Go figure. Unfortunately will still have my existing lease car until 30th so can't even swap cover over to bridge the 3d gap.

Not impressed :mad:

LV -beware

Just be careful with LV. I had a quote on 6th September for £302 incl legal and protected NCB. Because I hadn't got the car I gave a start date of 30th.

Just called in with my vehicle reg and asked cover to start tomorrow. Because the start date has changed from 30th to 27th then cover is now £420!!! Go figure. Unfortunately will still have my existing lease car until 30th so can't even swap cover over to bridge the 3d gap.

I agree it’s not good, but I’m afraid it’s pretty normal behaviour for all insurance companies.

The sooner you need the cover, the more the price goes up.

The “sweet spot” with the lowest prices is 21 days before you need the cover, so bear this in mind when it comes to renewal.

• Love
Reactions: Adambirch
LV -beware

Could be that you will have 2 cars insured for a couple of days. You can only use your no claims bonus on one car, so the temperary insurance could be the reason.

I agree it’s not good, but I’m afraid it’s pretty normal behaviour for all insurance companies.

The sooner you need the cover, the more the price goes up.

The “sweet spot” with the lowest prices is 21 days before you need the cover, so bear this in mind when it comes to renewal.

I had a quote online from LV of £409 which went up to £493 2 days before collection. I am an existing customer so rang them up to switch from old car renewal in November. They quoted £30 for remaining 2 months. I asked what it would be on renewal - £629!. So I cancelled and accepted online quote at £493.