Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting wildly different quotes, even from the "Tesla friendly" people like LV.

LV is quoting me just over £1300.
Admiral is quoting me ~£730.

..with the same details.

I can't help but think I'm going to be losing out somehow with Admiral, as in there will be some exclusion(s) that are important. I'm buying the car outright so it's important that it is properly covered. :(

really interested in this as ordered my M3P last night.
DL quoting £650 (i currently pay £380 on my 2016 audi rs3).
One key point would be windscreen cover i assume as its so vast - do the insurers properly cover that?
thanks

I just ticked the box on confused.com that says 'does this vehicle have a dashcam' - i thought id try clicking it since i can have sentry on all the time...... it drops my premium by about £400 per year. Does anyone see an issue with this? Is Sentry considered a proper dashcam?

I just ticked the box on confused.com that says 'does this vehicle have a dashcam' - i thought id try clicking it since i can have sentry on all the time...... it drops my premium by about £400 per year. Does anyone see an issue with this? Is Sentry considered a proper dashcam?
Why wouldn’t it be? (Assuming it’s activated... it’s even better as most dash cams turn off once the car is off and only turn back on if there is an impact, but Tesla’s is motion activated...)

Reactions: Maz0
Yes, the TeslaCam is at least as good as a standard dash cam.

If you do declare it as part of your insurance application you really do need to make sure it’s enabled and working all the time. Also if you have an accident that is your fault you will be expected to provide the footage.

Reactions: Maz0
Are dashcams in regular cars assumed to be on all of the time, even when parked? I can understand them being on whilst in motion, but is it part of the T&Cs that they are on 24/7?

I wouldn't intend to use Sentry at home or work because both locations are covered by CCTV that records 24/7 (and I administer), and I'm aware of how much battery it eats.

The Tesla dash cam functionality is separate to the Sentry Mode. TeslaCam can record all the time you are driving if you have a drive connected. Sentry Mode operates when you are not driving, for security. Sentry mode records from the cameras at the sides and the rear as well as from the front facing camera.

Whilst that's true - are insurance companies expecting customers to have their regular dashcams on whilst their cars are parked? Is it mandated in the policy documentation? What happens if you make a claim on a policy where you've said there is a dashcam fitted but you have no footage of it because it was parked and the dashcam was off? etc.

Whilst that's true - are insurance companies expecting customers to have their regular dashcams on whilst their cars are parked? Is it mandated in the policy documentation? What happens if you make a claim on a policy where you've said there is a dashcam fitted but you have no footage of it because it was parked and the dashcam was off? etc.
Wouldn’t most dashcams turn on, on impact? :eek:
i was under the impression that mine would and it’s a normal one from Halfords... (not crazy expensive or anything...) o_O

I just compared my meerkats (because that’s a totally normal thing to do at this time of the morning) and Hastings Direct came up cheapest. I’m already with them for two cars so maybe adding on to the existing multi-car policy will be beneficial.

However, I’m intending to sell both of those cars before the policy renews and the Model 3 would be the only car insured at that point. Anyone done this? Do I need to tell them before hand or just play dumb and hope it works out? Would I be better off just having a separate policy for the Tesla? Never broke down a multi-car policy before.

Not sure if it would be the same for Hastings - I'm with Admiral multi-car, by far the cheapest quote for me to add the M3 to existing policy - small print does say if a car is removed from the policy it's discount will also be removed and recharged.....

It says if you have no footage then you could be charged the premium discount you were given.

I am picking up M3 LR on the 11th of March, just bought insurance. I have to admit going from £300 a year on my Honda CRV to Tesla £800 is a pain!.

Insurance companies are definitely milking fact that not everyone wants to insure Tesla M3.
The direct line gave me prices starting from £720 month ago then changed to £1050 when I received from Tesla delivery date.
LV - out or reach - starting at £1300.

At the end went for Admiral - the initial price was £850 but I took with them home insurance as well - it went down to £791 and House Insurance came up the cheapest I have seen for years,

I hope to start looking for new insurance early enough to get a good deal next year as it looks like a month before start date prices were much lower + more insurers will be willing to work with tesla cars (I hope)

It's a little known fact sadly that the closer you are to your policy inception date, the higher the quote will be. You can test this easily by going on confused.com or something and changing nothing but the start date - you'll see your quotes go up.

What you need to do is get a quote a few weeks before you know you're likely to get the car. At the moment anyone who has a hidden VIN can be almost certain that Tesla will want them to get the car on or before 31/03, so you can get a quote now and actually take them up on it near the end of the month.

I am picking up M3 LR on the 11th of March, just bought insurance. I have to admit going from £300 a year on my Honda CRV to Tesla £800 is a pain!.

Insurance companies are definitely milking fact that not everyone wants to insure Tesla M3.
The direct line gave me prices starting from £720 month ago then changed to £1050 when I received from Tesla delivery date.
LV - out or reach - starting at £1300.

At the end went for Admiral - the initial price was £850 but I took with them home insurance as well - it went down to £791 and House Insurance came up the cheapest I have seen for years,

I hope to start looking for new insurance early enough to get a good deal next year as it looks like a month before start date prices were much lower + more insurers will be willing to work with tesla cars (I hope)

You can start a DL one in the future and cancel your Admiral close to the time? Might work out cheaper and DL is a better co.

Just finalised my Direct Line quite now that I have a delivery date.

Not sure if everyone knows this already, but DL's system isn't aware that Autopilot is standard on the model 3. I asked her to double check, it's not on the policy, when it was added as a modification it knocked £35 off my £500ish quote.

Not huge but better than nothing, so don't forget to give them a call once you have a quote. Couldn't see an option for it when I did it online, but I didn't actually try and add any mods (because it's standard fit).

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel and MrBadger