Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going to be going with Novo.

They quoted a good £200 higher than my next lowest quote (Admiral) for me, but I have more confidence in their services which are Tesla focused (Tesla courtesy car, Tesla approved repairs only, DOV, charge cables covered, etc).

Quote ended up being about £940 including excess protection, which is a lot but I had an at fault claim just over a year ago, and have 3 points. :(

The policy is an agreed value one too which means I don’t have to worry about GAP insurance, and the value covers the cost of the options including FSD, as well as the PPF I’m planning to put on. PPF also adds no additional premium.

Am I doing something wrong? My renewal on my M3P has come through at £1,400, LV say £1,600 and Admiral £2,500! I'm 36, have 11 years no claims, I'm a homeowner etc etc. Feels like I'm missing something, does the fact it's a lease and so I'm not the registered keeper/owner have an impact? Has anyone had any luck with any other insurers I could try?

I'm looking at quotes now ahead of a scheduled 2nd June delivery on an M3 LR.

Back in March I could get around £900 but now it's almost £1,200. Same conditions, same (high) mileage and same 2 ish weeks before planned delivery.

I’m going to be going with Novo.

They quoted a good £200 higher than my next lowest quote (Admiral) for me, but I have more confidence in their services which are Tesla focused (Tesla courtesy car, Tesla approved repairs only, DOV, charge cables covered, etc).

Quote ended up being about £940 including excess protection, which is a lot but I had an at fault claim just over a year ago, and have 3 points. :(

The policy is an agreed value one too which means I don’t have to worry about GAP insurance, and the value covers the cost of the options including FSD, as well as the PPF I’m planning to put on. PPF also adds no additional premium.
do you have to go to them specifically?

Direct Line even before CV19 seem to be in different place financially and management than they use to and I noticed that they seem to be less easy to do a deal with. Our renewal came in higher than I had in my head (based upon a previous near 6 months pro rata payment) and first time I called to renew, instead of being able to talk hem down, the chap refused to budge. Never had that ever with DL before. It took a second attempt to get the quote down to a more reasonable level and, without having exact figures to hand, probably similar or slightly less than last year.

tl;dr If with DL, don't accept the first figure that they tell you even if it requires a follow up call.

I tinkered a lot with the quotes, the biggest difference of a £400 reduction came from me changing the policy start date to being five days away Vs 21 days away crazy!!

That doesn’t surprise and always worth doing the quotes and renewal comparisons as early as you can. The nearer to the start date the less time you have to shop around, and Insurers know that so best value is found early.

Am I doing something wrong? My renewal on my M3P has come through at £1,400, LV say £1,600 and Admiral £2,500! I'm 36, have 11 years no claims, I'm a homeowner etc etc. Feels like I'm missing something, does the fact it's a lease and so I'm not the registered keeper/owner have an impact? Has anyone had any luck with any other insurers I could try?

Have you tried "Direct Line", they are not on any of the comparison websites. They include business use in standard cover. It is more expensive for one driver only i.e. if you have a partner or wife, it's actually cheaper to have both on the policy (my wife won't drive my M3) but having her on the policy makes it 10% + cheaper. BTW I'm 65 and pay £320/year with £250 excess.

Something has just crossed my mind!

There seems to be a shortage of genuine competition for insuring Teslas in the UK.

Most owners will be aware that Norway is, percentage wise, the world leader in EV car sales. Is it possible that their insurers are missing a trick by not looking to enter the UK market. Perhaps this is just nonsensical - or maybe I have a point!:rolleyes:

For an M3 LR I'm still to order I went through Go Compare and lowest was £464 by Churchill - 54 yr old with 9+yrs NCD but 3pts; Also wife on the policy with 9+ NCD and no points; 20,000mls pa; Located in Fife, Scotland and parked on the drive at night. That includes courtesy car, personal accident, legal and protected NCD. I thought that was quite good.

However when I then tried it with a spoiler (if I were to fit one) Churchill weren't interested and the cheapest, from Bell/Admiral, jumped to £686!

So I then went through Compare the Market and without a spoiler Churchill were lowest at £460 and with a spoiler I was quoted £515 from Sheila's Wheels.

I really don't see why a simple spoiler stuck to the back of the car should make any difference, but there you go.

My real NCD is actually probably over 25yrs but I can't see how I could prove that and 9+yrs is how my last insurer describes it.