Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance won't pay certified Tesla body shop their charges. Claiming they're too expensive!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hire an attorney. The other insurance company is required to make you whole. You'll have to prove that the hourly rate that the body shop is charging is fair/market rate for a certified tesla shops in your area. Sadly, if there is a certified shop 2 hours away charging less, that's going to hurt you. Send your car there. Most will come and fetch it free of charge.

These issues are always hit or miss. It's less about the insurer and more about what adjuster you happen to get and how knowledgable he/she is. I would take @bkp_duke's advice and explain the situation to USAA. Tell them you are willing to use any shop that can guarantee your car is returned to its original condition and the warranty is maintained. Tell them you are fine with the cheapest option that meets these requirements and they can call Tesla directly to find the best deal if that is their goal. Ultimately, they owe you this, it is just a question of how painful they want to make it and the lengths you are willing to go. Chances are you are dealing with an adjuster who doesn't know anything about aluminum bodies, let alone Teslas. Escalate and inform and they should eventually come through.

FWIW, I had to file a claim with USAA, got very lucky with an adjuster who knew his stuff and didn't play any games. Shop was nervous because their last USAA claim was a nightmare but mine went through without a hitch. It's all luck of the draw. Good luck.

Reactions: Tslagrl1
Thanks for sharing. About to take delivery in Dallas some time in March. Currently with Progressive for home and two autos, but I'd planned on shopping around a bit. I'll remove GEICO from my consideration set.
Get on the phone, and ask to talk to the supervisor. Tell them that repairs at non-tesla body shops WILL void your warranty, and that for this reason they must be done at the body shop that you had the work done with.

They WILL tell you "too bad, it is still too expensive". This is when you tell them that "your job as the insurance company is to 'make me whole' again after this, are you refusing to do your job? A Tesla is like any other Exotic car, and it cannot be worked on any old body shop, but must be done with one certified in high-end aluminum repairs and that will work to the standards dictated by the manufacturer to maintain the warranty. Do we need to have a conversation with the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation because you are refusing to follow proper insurance guidelines?"

Your insurance company's job is to get payment from GEICO for the damage that their client caused, not try to put you on the hook for the difference that GEICO is most likely trying to short them on.

EDIT - and yes, you should have probably worked through GEICO first, and held your insurance company in reserve if GEICO refused to pay. You've already expended that ammo in this circumstance.

Where is the love button? I love this. Thank you! But one thing the lady said about that was that a Tesla is no different from any other high end aluminum vehicle and they take a stance on their allowable something something something. I can't remember exactly cuz I really was starting to see red trying to understand what she was really saying to me, because I was just in so much disbelief. I did call back and a usaa ins rep did transfer me to the other lady's supervisor and I left her a voicemail...twice. Hadnt heard back yet.

That's very good advice, although it doesn't really help the original poster. I was very relieved when I found out that the one Tesla-approved shop here in my city was also on my insurer's "preferred" list.

The original poster should contact a lawyer. If someone hit him it doesn't matter if the repair costs $500k the other party has to take care of it, if not time to hit the courts that should solve it quickly.

Reactions: Tslagrl1
That's very good advice, although it doesn't really help the original poster. I was very relieved when I found out that the one Tesla-approved shop here in my city was also on my insurer's "preferred" list.
Hire an attorney. The other insurance company is required to make you whole. You'll have to prove that the hourly rate that the body shop is charging is fair/market rate for a certified tesla shops in your area. Sadly, if there is a certified shop 2 hours away charging less, that's going to hurt you. Send your car there. Most will come and fetch it free of charge.

Yeah I know that now but I didn't know that then. Like Dr. Phil says..."You don't know what you don't know". All I knew was it wasn't my fault, I have good insurance (or so I thought), and I could only take the Tesla to a Tesla certified repair place. And luckily there was one in Orlando. Thats it. How would I ever have known that such a deceptive practice is allowed to be done by such a reputable company as USAA. But lesson is definitely learned. Hopefully someone else may learn from this as well, before going thru it.

The original poster should contact a lawyer. If someone hit him it doesn't matter if the repair costs $500k the other party has to take care of it, if not time to hit the courts that should solve it quickly.

OMG!!! THATS EXACTLY HOW I THOUGHT THE SYSTEM WORKED...That is why I took out such high limits on my insurance as well. More than the state recommended. Would be just my luck to hit a Bentley or something and not have enough coverage. Sad that they'll end up most likely having to not only be mandated to make me whole, but may add court costs on top of it.

Not bad advice but let's just be clear that's not actually true but it might be a good bluffing point.

LOL!!! I think there might be a bit of some truth to something of that nature, because the Tesla dealer has to inspect it after the repair. Why else would they have to do this? Must be something to do with warranty. I will definitely educate myself more on this who Tesla business.

LOL!!! I think there might be a bit of some truth to something of that nature, because the Tesla dealer has to inspect it after the repair. Why else would they have to do this? Must be something to do with warranty. I will definitely educate myself more on this who Tesla business.

Must? Really? The law is clear. First, unless the vehicle is salvaged, no car manufacturer may blanket void a warranty. Period. If the repair is not done properly, then Tesla may refuse to warranty repair any future issues related to the improper repair but they can't just automatically void a warranty because you didn't get it repaired at their certified body shop.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: ABC2D and wesley888
The driver who hit you is liable for your damages and must make you "whole". If $16k is the best, in this case only option then that is their liability. If her insurance is refusing to fully pay, that should frankly be her problem not yours. I do not understand USAA's position as you describe.

Regardless how this gets resolved, (personally I would sue if I had to) l would certainly look for another insurance company.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
More than any warranty issue Tesla will refuse to sell most parts to a non-certified shop. So a non-certified shop can't repair most accident damage back to pre-loss conditions.

And don't forget to make a diminished value claim to GEICO before you sign off.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I was rear ended by a State Farm driver in September. I also have usaa but opted to work with State Farm instead as I don't have rental car coverage and usaa told me that if I went the route that you did, they would not be providing me with a rental car.
State Farm sent out an appraiser who gave me an estimate that I brought to the only Tesla certified body shop within an hour of me and they have sent in a supplement to State Farm that is in the process of being approved. As of right now my car is still at the shop unfixed since there was a parts shortage of the rear grey plastic thing that is under the bumper which didn't arrive till late December.
You might just have to return the money to usaa and work with geico instead. State Farm has been very cooperative through this process but we will see what happens after the car is fixed and I need to claim diminished value!

was T-Boned by a GEICO driver on Oct 31. She and GEICO accepted liability, but I called my insurance co USAA first because I've trusted them for many years. Now Im not sure why. Maybe because they accept my payments faithfully every month for years, who knows. But they said they would handle the claim and get their money back from GEICO in the end, and I would not even be charged a deductible. Sounded great until now they called me on Friday to let me know that only $6k of my $16k damage would be covered because the Tesla certified body shop, the only one in Orlando, charges too much! So now she tells me I have to pay the rest. So where in the heck was I supposed to take it too? I had to hang up on her because I was already pissed that I now have to pay for gas in a chevy impala from enterprise, while paying a car payment for an electric vehicle that I will now be without for longer than I have driven. I don't understand any of this mess. I think this clearly cut and dry accident is going to get ugly. I think I better get one of those TV lawyers.

I am a long term USAA member and have always had great service. You should escalate this issue to their management team.
If you do not receive satisfaction, then you should retain an attorney and hold their feet to the fire for full compensation on your claim.

I was T-Boned on November 29th in a shopping center here in Las Vegas. Idiot driver at fault claimed he didn't see me! Duh! He ran a freaking stop sign! Witness confirmed him speeding through the stop sign! My Blackvue dash cam caught it too. My insurer, Liberty Mutual paid almost $22,000 for repairs, refunded my deductible, and is forwarding a claim for the damages including my rental car expense to Travelers for reimbursement. I'm also going to retain an attorney to recover diminished value and I fully expect to be compensated! Good luck with your situation...

Absolutely would call the driver of the other vehicle and tell them their crappy insurance company is only paying $6k out of $16k, and you will be asking them to personally cover the $10k difference or go after them. That should get GEICO in a more cooperative mood when their customer is also yelling at them. Of course, all of this is assuming you're not in a no-fault state.

was T-Boned by a GEICO driver on Oct 31. She and GEICO accepted liability, but I called my insurance co USAA first because I've trusted them for many years. Now Im not sure why. Maybe because they accept my payments faithfully every month for years, who knows. But they said they would handle the claim and get their money back from GEICO in the end, and I would not even be charged a deductible. Sounded great until now they called me on Friday to let me know that only $6k of my $16k damage would be covered because the Tesla certified body shop, the only one in Orlando, charges too much! So now she tells me I have to pay the rest. So where in the heck was I supposed to take it too? I had to hang up on her because I was already pissed that I now have to pay for gas in a chevy impala from enterprise, while paying a car payment for an electric vehicle that I will now be without for longer than I have driven. I don't understand any of this mess. I think this clearly cut and dry accident is going to get ugly. I think I better get one of those TV lawyers.

I would call your contact at Tesla and have them send you a letter or email stating that Tesla does not allow their vehicles to be repaired at any shop besides those approved through Tesla. I had a similar situation with my McLaren and my insurance wanting me to take my McLaren to a local body shop here in west Texas but after I had McLaren send me a letter stating that McLaren would void my warranty if my insurance required me to use a body shop other than McLaren approved. After that they had my vehicle towed 350 miles in an enclosed trailer to Dallas, TX.

Another bit of info is my good friend has USAA and his Ferrar F12 hit a deer and they didn't hesitate on trailer if his vehicle 350 miles to Ferrari. If it were me I would call USAA and ask to speak to a supervisor and let them know this is a Tesla and not a Ford or Chevrolet and it's imperative that a certified Tesla bodyshop do the work bc there could be more damage done by a non-tesla cert bodyshop doing to repairs. If they give you a hard time then pursue letter from tesla.

I can't believe USAA would do this as I would have guessed you were getting the run around from Geico.

Last edited: