Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suprised you can insure an M4 that cheaply now. Is that M4 price current and on the same terms or is it a previously owned car? Prices seem to have gone up for all cars, though EV's / Teslas may be worse.
That was what I paid April 22 price, I dont know what it would be now as I sold it and cancelled and didn’t get a renewal. The year before was £486, but remember this didnt include the tracker cost and the monthly fee for that as well !

That was what I paid April 22 price, I dont know what it would be now as I sold it and cancelled and didn’t get a renewal. The year before was £486, but remember this didnt include the tracker cost and the monthly fee for that as well !
insurance is so random I have been sorting insurance for young drives recently and none of it seems to make sense.
VW up insurance group1 50% more to insure than a Peugeot 108 insurance group 6
Toyota Aygo 50% more to insure than an identically spec'd Citroen C1 built on the same production line in the same factory
2012 Fiesta half the price of a 2013 facelift fiesta with the same engine from the same insurer.

and for me Tesla model Y LR 20% cheaper than a Model 3 LR

I am sure there are reasons for all of the above but its all so opaque and such big differences its so frustrating.:mad:

Reactions: MrBadger
Last year I informed my then insurance company that a young named driver on my insurance was no longer a student and was now insured elsewhere as main driver on their own car.

They then quoted an additional £700+ for about 5 months pro rata insurance and gave me till end of the day either to accept or they would cancel with no refund.

Couldn’t sit down for rest of the day… 😵‍💫

Come renewal, they said previous year was £3600 but this year it had come down to under £2k. They didn’t get my business. Went elsewhere at significantly <£1k. To add insult to injury, original insurance company capped my NCD at 9 years. Thankfully, after correspondence with new company, they ignored that.

Last edited:
o add insult to injury, original insurance company capped my NCD at 9 years.
If you started with them at 9 years stayed with them for a year then you can ask for your 10 years... Likewise if before you went with them you had proof of more than 9 years (not the 9+) they usually put, you can provide them with that as ask for the correct NCB. Unfortunately it's not often people get asked for proof of NCB these days and this can go unnoticed. I had the right faf with this recently 😖

They will only compare your statement with the record already held about claims, if they care about 100% truthfulness. Individual glass claims aren’t that risk related other than perhaps type of carriageway frequently used and corresponding to mileage. For a category of vehicle, such as Model S, some insurers actually reject new quotes purely on the basis of too many glass claims (likely increased by the number of criminal attempts to steal MCU1 vehicles by forced entry a few months back), e.g. Quote Detective. QuoteZone is also good for reason discovery.

Last edited:
it does add 11% BHP and counts as a mod
It seems some insurance companies assume the LR has full power even if you don't have AB so there is then no extra charge when you add it - that or they just don't understand what AB is. I'd be surprised if more insurance companies don't start charging for what would be an expensive mod in an ICE car to gain 50 bhp.

There is also uncertainty if they fully cover AB when you declare it, i.e. would they give you the extra value that AB is worth in the case of a right off.

• Informative
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
I think you are right, my other quotes were starting around 1.3k so perhaps they assumed full power.
Out of interest, excluding the market conditions, should I expect my premium to reduce after my first year? This is my first powerful car so assumed they inflate that first year.

I think you are right, my other quotes were starting around 1.3k so perhaps they assumed full power.
Out of interest, excluding the market conditions, should I expect my premium to reduce after my first year? This is my first powerful car so assumed they inflate that first year.
I wouldn't assume so. An extra year no claims, one year older etc. should decrease your premium but probably less so than insurance companies seem to be inflating their premiums so expect to pay the same or more than this year :(

• Informative
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
Written off cars have been sent to eastern europe for like 30 odd years by now.

I bought one of my ex cars back in 2008 from Copart (,insurance write off), imported to Lithuania, repaired it properly and was driving it for number of years...

Some write offs can be absolutely unreasonable as repair bill which goes to insurance company is over inflated by dealerships or repair shops for insurance it is easier and cheaper to write off perfectly good cars, sadly.

Cases with EVs just more extreme