Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an email from Flow insurance which is LV stating the Tesla tracker will not cause issues in an event of a theft claim.

FYI Paying 2700 on MYP, London. 9 years no claims. M3 was £1000
Wow! They are really hammering the Model Yand ev's in general it seems.
Even your M3 insurance was not the bargain of the week.
A longish standing Admiral customer, I left today for esure where I settled for £1480 inclusive of NCD protection, legal support, andc car hire. I did not take the offered RAC breakdown assistance because it did not include mainland European cover.

Tesla+London+old farty (29 years non claims bonus) = £££. It would be nice to know how the loading is split across those factors.
Now then ...SWMBO says " How would that knowledge help; we are not moving, let no man come between you and your MY; it stays, and as for your age...least said soonest mended"

Sadly been informed by Novo their brokers will not insure my postcode (you can guess why living in Outer London). Is there an insurer which will offer competitive quotes for a male 30's, 13 NCB in Outer London? (cheapest last year was £1,508 and this year £2,000)

Competitive quotes usually involve the comparison sites (CompareTheMarket, MoneySuperMarket, GoCompare, Confused.com), but if needing something a bit more specific in terms of cover than brokers such as A-Plan usually recommended. Also with QuoteZone their aggregate list displays the reason why insurers decline to quote, which may be of use in your situation. Plus remember to try Aviva and DirectLine. Plus most of that at 19–21 days ahead before cover starts.

Waaaaaaat!!!
Just received my insurance renewal from direct line today for my 2021 M3P. £1421 this year, compared to £850 last year!!
We’ve had no accidents, claims or convictions, so nothing to justify this price hike.
They said the increase was due to the number of claims and convictions by Tesla drivers, as well as the cost of repairing the vehicle in an accident.
Shocked to say the least! Obviously time to start shopping around!
Any news on Tesla bring their own insurance to these shores? I know it’s been mentioned in the past, but not seen any updates for a while.
P.S prior to Tesla ownership I owned a couple of BMW M cars. Typically paying around the £500 mark for insurance. I’m a 45 year old bloke with 26 years protected no claims. I thought £850 was steep for the M3P, but this renewal quote is frankly ridiculous!!

Convictions? (best getaway vehicle?) Each year I wait for Tesla to start up its UK insurance offering. It hasn’t happened yet, perhaps next year.

I tried QuoteDetective yesterday, another offering nothing on search. Last I heard it was due to high number of windscreen claims (crims smashing their way inside MCU1 vehicles). Heard back from them “You cannot buy policies online with us”, delightful.

Last edited:
Convictions? Each year I wait for Tesla to start up its UK insurance offering. It hasn’t happened yet, perhaps next year.

I tried QuoteDetective yesterday, another offering nothing on search. Last I heard it was due to high number of windscreen claims (crims smashing their way inside MCU1 vehicles).
Yes, supposedly we’re all driving around like lunatics! Speeding convictions are a way of life if you’re a Tesla driver apparently! I really don’t understand where they get their prices from? Its not like I’m driving a Ferrari/mclaren etc!!

Yes, supposedly we’re all driving around like lunatics! Speeding convictions are a way of life if you’re a Tesla driver apparently! I really don’t understand where they get their prices from? Its not like I’m driving a Ferrari/mclaren etc!!
if you watch WhamBamTeslaCam it is scary how many accidents that look fixable seem to result in either a write-off or $25k+ repair bill. I know its mainly US based but it does make you wonder.

Reactions: PeteSanders
Just received my insurance renewal from direct line today for my 2021 M3P. £1421 this year, compared to £850 last year!!
We’ve had no accidents, claims or convictions, so nothing to justify this price hike.

Seriously, do an online quote with DL and then phone them up telling them what the online quote was. They will match (or even better) it without even questioning the legitimacy of it.

I thought there were recent laws to make existing customers get same deal as new ones, but clearly not automatically. It may explain why they don't quibble over the new quote though.

if you watch WhamBamTeslaCam it is scary how many accidents that look fixable seem to result in either a write-off or $25k+ repair bill. I know its mainly US based but it does make you wonder.
That's certainly not exclusive to Tesla. My dad recently had his nearly-new Mercedes estate (I forget which model) rear-ended by an AA van in traffic. The damage didn't look too bad to the naked eye, but the car was written off by the insurer. No airbags were triggered, the back glass was smashed & the bumper broken, but it didn't seem too bad. Modern cars are designed to crumple for safety, so what sometimes appears to be relatively moderate damage from the outside can write off the chassis completely.

Seriously, do an online quote with DL and then phone them up telling them what the online quote was. They will match (or even better) it without even questioning the legitimacy of it.
DL seem to be very fussy with who they insure at anything close to reasonable rates. When I first got my M3 the website wouldn't even give me a quote. When I called the "Tesla approved" line they did give me a quote but it was more than double the comparison sites. I could understand it for new drivers, but I'm in my 40s with 20+ years NCD and clean license. The Tesla partnership could lead customers to believe they are getting some kind of preferential rates, but it seems that's not the case at all.

My Model Y insurance (Over 50, full NCD, sedate and rural Monmouthshire) was £500 via Churchill for the last year. Just had the renewal notice through, increased to £880! Cheapest I could see on GoCompare was £775. Just sold the Y this week so thankfully don’t have to stomach this increase. In fact I’d better get round to cancelling that insurance.

Interesting to read the suggested reasons for Tesla insurance going up so much on this thread. Hopefully this changes so that Tesla owners don’t get such a hit going forward.

funny...

you are moaning here about increase by 300... I bring you the insurance quote in Lithuania
Note: 47 YO, no claims, excise 116 EUR / 10% (if stolen).

Annual premium: 5892 EUR :))))

337628798_909881410284156_3555120681786042507_n.png

£610 through Admiral gold, inc free pick up and taken to a charge point if ever run out of charge etc. 50yo 20+ no claims. My BMW M4 was £310 as a comparison agitate my M3P.
Suprised you can insure an M4 that cheaply now. Is that M4 price current and on the same terms or is it a previously owned car? Prices seem to have gone up for all cars, though EV's / Teslas may be worse.

Careful what you wish for with Tesla Insurance. Your premiums are linked to a safety score, which is derived from the driving data they collect on you.

According to this Reddit thread you are penalised for driving after 10pm. Also just hope you don't experience any phantom breaking which would affect your "Hard braking" score, that software updates are reliable enough that they don't make your forward collision warnings more sensitive as it has done for a few with the recent updates, and mastered the right amount of pressure on the wheel to avoid autopilot disengagement.

They revised Safety Score rules recently to progressively reduce the penalty for driving shortly after 22:00 as compared to 04:00. So at least they are considering telematics sensibly and moving things in a fairer direction.

All other providers in UK aren’t advantageous for Teslas because of their fossil-derived acceleration thresholds (and OBD-II incompatibility).

I would suffer from a number of mid-setting AEB warnings on my outbound journeys, having to chicane past parked cars with oncoming vehicles.

Last edited: