Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interested in Selling Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just can't imagine how this will end up financially benefiting the seller and for so much legwork on their part.
The buyer would pay more than the seller paid.

Not to mention if the buyer of their reservation backs out at the last minute and leaves them with the car.
Then the buyer would lose the $2,000 they paid the seller up front to show they were serious.

Since proving purchase with the intent to re-sell is nearly impossible (and highly unlikely) it's a risk I'm sure some will take. It's simply not enforceable.

Me? I'm keeping my 3.
Unless, by some chance, there was a record of said person soliciting a buyer before purchasing the vehicle on a forum or something ;)

I have a suggestion for everybody annoyed with those who are trying profit off their reservations. PM everybody who is soliciting and express interest in buying their reservation, offer top dollar, haggle on the details as long as you can, and then change your mind....you know, just like they're doing. It seems fair to me right? Reservations were clearly not meant to be resold and anybody is free to cancel and get their money back.

Perhaps everybody can post all of the craigslist ads here for us all to respond to.

• Funny
Reactions: BluestarE3
Check out this ad for a mid 2018 delivery ... not even reserved until May 2017 :cool:

Tesla Model 3 Reservation
I know there's going to be line jumping when people get lesser models, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Is fulfilling those orders potentially costing me $3750 of the federal tax credit or is it truly the validation of AWD and Performance manufacturing process.

#1 Reservation holder in the state of Arizona
Interviewed by the local news so unlike most, I have video proof of my spot in line
Wife changed her mind about buying her Model 3 reservation.
Nov-Jan / Jan-Mar / July/Sept

DM Me

You are not #1 for delivery. There are several that were early in that line who are current Tesla owners. They will receive their cars before you.

Funny how you stood there posing for the news media all proud to be in the front of that line. You were even holding a custom AZ "TESLA" plate. Nice show you put on for the cameras. If you don't want the car then get a deposit refund. Those of us who were right behind you would gladly move up in line.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm looking for anyone that is an early reservation holder that is considering selling their Model 3. Looking to get a new car in the next 4-8 months and the Model 3 is my current choice. Thank you!

Hi James, not sure you got what you wanted already, but I did signup early (3/31/16) and I am willing to sell you mine. Let me know if you are interested, or anyone else that might be...

I don't think anyone will pay extra for an already "budget" car.
Fully loaded, it runs at about 60K, far beyond a budget car.

When the BMW M235i came out in 2014 (a $55k car) dealerships sold them $5k to $10k above sticker price because car was in high demand. So wouldn't be surprised if some people manage to flip the Model 3 for at least $5k.

If they do, good for them. I don't see any point in trying to discourage people to do it.

Neither the buyer nor seller would be eligible for state and federal Tax Credit and both would have to pay sales tax. In CA this would mean buyer and seller would each pay 9.25%. This would all have to be considered if you are trying to flip. This would mean you would have to ask for $25k over the cost of the car to even break even.

• Funny
Reactions: Sonny Daze
why would the buyer not eligible for the Federal $7,500 credit if they get their M3 within the 200,000th car?
You are not eligible if you purchase with the sole intent to resell. If you claim the tax credit then it's tax fraud.

They may or may not come after you if they did, I'm not sure how you'd prove you bought it with the intent to use it. There's no clarification on how they determine it.

why would the buyer not eligible for the Federal $7,500 credit if they get their M3 within the 200,000th car?
Because the instructions for form 8936 say:
The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
  • You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit.
  • You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year.
  • The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
  • The original use of the vehicle began with you.
  • You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.
  • You use the vehicle primarily in the United States.
"The original use of the vehicle began with you" clearly means only the original buyer can take the tax credit. "You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale" clearly eliminates the original buyer who tries to flip for a profit.

Anyone who thinks the IRS would not come down hard on this is delusional. It's easy for them to run the VIN through national DMV records and look for a fast retitling. A few minutes of effort yields them $7500 in profit.