Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting battery testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds normal to me. Battery degradation is not linear as they expect. Typically you have the largest impact over the first year or two and then it tends to stabilize. Reading the comments in the article and that appears to be the norm.

That article isnt really applicable to the stationary batteries, different chemistry.

As a comparison, my battery has also lost about 7% capacity at 66k. Interestingly it fluctuates about 3% though, and is worst in winter. Also, at 30k I had lost about the same when comparing the winter numbers to the summer numbers.

Reactions: Electrph
That article isnt really applicable to the stationary batteries, different chemistry.

As a comparison, my battery has also lost about 7% capacity at 66k. Interestingly it fluctuates about 3% though, and is worst in winter. Also, at 30k I had lost about the same when comparing the winter numbers to the summer numbers.
wow, how many batteries do you have?

Does this have one thinking the best way to use the powerwalls?
I use my 3 walls purely for power outage backup. We have dollar for dollar net metering so it makes no sense to use the walls with their 10% loss in round trip charge/drain. What started me on this path was my intention to buy a backup gen for $12.5k. 3 walls were $8600ish net with all of the rebates/package discounts so I saved $4k on my gen (plus annual maintenance) and now I have solar that seems to be producing quite well. I do run the walls down 50% once a month just to get them 'moving' from time to time. I just wait until we have a nice weather day forecasted for the following day and run them on self power at night with a 50% reserve.

Does this have one thinking the best way to use the powerwalls?

No, it doesnt.

Teslafi's "battery degradation" reports have been shown to be estimates and should not be looked at as something that is fully accurate.

On my model 3 I have 26k miles and based on what my car charges to at 100% now, I have 4% degradation, but I dont use teslafi because:

1. If you dont configure it properly it can wake up the car, adding extra cycling because the car is not asleep.
2. its a ton of data, which is good, but in some cases presents that data in ways that can be confusing, or cause people to make incorrect assumptions (see "degredation").
3. its a third party app, and you have to give it a token to log in, and anyone with your tesla token can do anything you can do with your car (remote start, etc).

I am not saying teslafi is nefarious (at all) but if banks and fortune 500 companies can get hacked (they do) a small outfit like them absolutely can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Electrph
I'm not sure how it's relevant to Tesla's energy systems but my 2019 Model 3 LR RWD with 20k miles seems to have a capacity of between 65 and 66 kWh. Assuming a full pack when new was supposedly 75 kWh (seen different numbers), I'm at nearly a 12% capacity loss already. I saw that article a few days ago and thought, "wow, they're doing much better than me.!" I guess it's a bit of a crap shoot.

I used to fly electric RC helicopters quite a bit and the lipo batteries I used were also hit and miss. Some you could get hundreds of cycles from while others might fade after only a handful of flights. How you used them definitely had a huge impact but there was also a very distinct seemingly random element to it as well. I suspect energy storage systems could be the same -- I would definitely use conservative figures for any break-even analysis if that's important to you. I'm aiming for equity resilience as either FREE or nearly FREE and while I hope they don't degrade quickly, economically it will matter less to me.

Sounds normal to me. Battery degradation is not linear as they expect. Typically you have the largest impact over the first year or two and then it tends to stabilize. Reading the comments in the article and that appears to be the norm.

Aso worse case you get a refurbed battery. My only concern would be how well TSLA would honor, but looks they do in the S forums.