Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting talk with Tesla Support on software 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those not following the thread on 2019.16.2 on Reddit, I thought I would post my experience here with you guys.

Tesla pushed 2019.16.2 to my TM3LR/AWD on Friday last week, and after bootup the AP, trip counters and dashcam was borked, along with a message saying that I had to call Tesla Support to get a software update. I called them on Saturday, they opened a ticket, and I was told to wait for Tesla to call me on Monday. They never did, but I did get a software update again, which turned out to be an attempt at re-provisioning 2019.16.2. It failed.

I called Tesla again late yesterday evening, and got in touch with a chatty guy who told me an interesting story. Tesla now fully acknowledges that 2019.16.2 is bricked on several of its models, where Model 3 seems to be the worst one. As such, the software rollout has stopped, and a recall has been issued to cars that have it downloaded, but not yet installed. This has been confirmed from several Model 3 owners who had an update, but had it removed just after.

However - due to problems with the automated provisioning system of the software, even after a recall (or hammering, as he called it) the software got re-deployed by the system, and installed on some cars. There was no way for the engineers there to stop that, nor was there any possibility of a rollback. Tesla promised me that a new fix was underway, and that the car was safe to use in the meantime. It had, supposedly, been escalated to the 'highest authority' in Tesla, whatever that means.

Today, a notification on new update popped up again, and yet again 2019.16.2 (even with 2019.16.2 installed) tried to install again, and failed. It's not stuck in a loop where the software is pushed after every reboot. I can't imagine that being very healthy in the long run.

Sorry for the crappy pic quality, but you get the picture.

Attachments

• 20190525_165552.jpg
    20190525_165552.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Snapchat-1364638492.jpg
    Snapchat-1364638492.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 168
For those not following the thread on 2019.16.2 on Reddit, I thought I would post my experience here with you guys.

Tesla pushed 2019.16.2 to my TM3LR/AWD on Friday last week, and after bootup the AP, trip counters and dashcam was borked, along with a message saying that I had to call Tesla Support to get a software update. I called them on Saturday, they opened a ticket, and I was told to wait for Tesla to call me on Monday. They never did, but I did get a software update again, which turned out to be an attempt at re-provisioning 2019.16.2. It failed.

I called Tesla again late yesterday evening, and got in touch with a chatty guy who told me an interesting story. Tesla now fully acknowledges that 2019.16.2 is bricked on several of its models, where Model 3 seems to be the worst one. As such, the software rollout has stopped, and a recall has been issued to cars that have it downloaded, but not yet installed. This has been confirmed from several Model 3 owners who had an update, but had it removed just after.

However - due to problems with the automated provisioning system of the software, even after a recall (or hammering, as he called it) the software got re-deployed by the system, and installed on some cars. There was no way for the engineers there to stop that, nor was there any possibility of a rollback. Tesla promised me that a new fix was underway, and that the car was safe to use in the meantime. It had, supposedly, been escalated to the 'highest authority' in Tesla, whatever that means.

Today, a notification on new update popped up again, and yet again 2019.16.2 (even with 2019.16.2 installed) tried to install again, and failed. It's not stuck in a loop where the software is pushed after every reboot. I can't imagine that being very healthy in the long run.

Sorry for the crappy pic quality, but you get the picture.
Yup I get the picture. 16.2 is the buggiest (worst) firmware yet for me. It has so far broken for me:
Homelink, WiFi, Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance cannot be permanently turned off, only for the current drive, Screen is frozen every morning after sleep, LTE. If I think of more I’ll post. I’ve got mobile service coming this week and will ask about a new firmware then. Pretty sure they won’t know anymore than we do. Teslafi shows it still being installed FWIW.

Attachments

• 935C4B94-2C2B-4F64-9664-12CA7FFA764C.png
    935C4B94-2C2B-4F64-9664-12CA7FFA764C.png
    521 KB · Views: 163
  • Informative
Reactions: Matias
I guess I was one of the lucky M3. I have been running 12.16.2 for 5 or 6 days now. Did a 500 mile trip over the weekend. So far issue free.

I see you have the software update set to Advance. Can that be changed to Standard?
It can, but where do you see that setting?

I wonder why this effects all the cars so differently. I've had absolutely no issues on 2019.16.2

I didn't ask about this, and I doubt the guy I talked to would have known. However, from an engineering standpoint - an explanation could be that Tesla uses a number of providers for electronic components, and that there may be slight variations from model to model, and between production batches. So simply an interoperability issue between software and sensor/actuator/whatever-thingie.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and DirtyT3sla
I was just coming to say that I just got my update and saw that a number of Calif. Model 3s on Teslafi had also received in today. Then I read this thread and fingers crossed I don't have issues. I'll reboot before driving, car was remotely updated while in our driveway and hope for the best.

I was trying to see who here said they haven't had issue on it and who did to see if maybe it's related to the manufacture date but sadly not everyone adds their car info in their signature. :( Well it's a done deed so time will tell.

2019.16.2 73d3f3c

I saw where someone recently said that after 16.2 no one will choose standard software update preferences. Perhaps this scenario is exactly the reason for selecting that option.
I just got the update to 2019.16.2 and you can select both Standard or Advance.

Will post tonight after I get to work if I had any issues after this update I just got.

Fred

The majority of Teslas appear to be on 2019.16.2 according to the app Stats. I've been on it for about a week and for me it's been the best, most stable version since before Easter, or maybe even since I got the car 51 weeks ago. I've had many versions fail to install (about half the upgrades), often they've wrecked all my EAP features, including TACC which is a huge nuisance on a long road trip.

I'm happy 16.2 is working great for me but I can empathize with your pain. Odd that some versions ruin it for some cars but work great on others then a different version fixes the broken cars and wrecks ones that previously were working just fine.
1243EADA-F6E6-4B50-88B8-6DCC7F8A904B.jpeg

Attachments

• 8EB4F555-8525-4302-B4E1-974284DF655A.jpeg
    8EB4F555-8525-4302-B4E1-974284DF655A.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
my model 3 got bricked today during the update of 16.2. Can't reboot and drive. MCU is dead. Need to be towed to service centre. Any latest solution ?

I think you posted the solution to your issue... "need to be towed to service center". There is no other solution than that, if you car is "bricked and cant reboot and drive".

Reactions: goldengate