Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior is nice, however...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dont need to go Maserati or aston martin. Just compare BMW and Audi in the same price range... Way better internal finish and materials... Then you have the individual if you want something more extreme...

- - - Updated - - -

What I will miss the most from BMW other than better materials and fitting... The comfort chairs... The way the fit perfectly to the body and wonderful to drive long time in... For me the tesla chairs did feel cheap. But this is not a dealbreaker. Just what I personally think can be improved. On the other hand if that means another 20-30K USD then forget it... ;-)

I love the minimalistic but still rich interior of my Model S. The leather on top of the dashboard, the carbon fiber trim and the steering wheel are my favourites. Wouldn't trade it for any other car's interior.

Just one complaint: the light alcantara near the b-pillar gets dirty pretty quickly. I have driven the car for one month now and that spot is already stained by clothing (even though I try to get in carefully with my 6ft5). I'm afraid that alcantara on the sun visors was also a poor choice; when used a lot it will not remain clean (and I am a hygienic person!). Some parts of the interior are simply not suited for alcantara. On my Fisker Karma I had alcantara on the arm rest. After one year that looked in pretty bad shape.

I hope Tesla comes up with a solution for the inside of the B-pillar, maybe a leather cover (non-alcantara).

Note: I didn't choose the alcantara, it came standard on my Signature.

Im not comparing interior design. Material and quality... Also like the clean design. Well the screen is anything but minimalistic... ;-)

my complaint is the quailty and feel of the materials. The simple chairs that dont belong in a performance car. But the design is good. Just go luxury car feel and materials please...but if that means a 5-10K premium then keep it as is...

Question: Where does Tesla use the term "luxury" anywhere on its web site, or in any of its marketing, sales and promotional materials? I'm curious, because I don't see that claim anywhere by Tesla. The only claim Tesla made was when Elon Musk stated on more than one occasion that he wanted to make the best car anywhere, but no specific statement was made regarding "luxury".

Luxury is something that has been attributed to the Model S by the media, the competition, and its owners due to the price tag. I don't believe Tesla ever made this claim. So if we are going to judge the Model S on its luxury appointments, let's be clear that Tesla makes no claims regarding the Model S being a luxury vehicle.

Question: Where does Tesla use the term "luxury" anywhere on its web site, or in any of its marketing, sales and promotional materials? I'm curious, because I don't see that claim anywhere by Tesla. The only claim Tesla made was when Elon Musk stated on more than one occasion that he wanted to make the best car anywhere, but no specific statement was made regarding "luxury".

Luxury is something that has been attributed to the Model S by the media, the competition, and its owners due to the price tag. I don't believe Tesla ever made this claim. So if we are going to judge the Model S on its luxury appointments, let's be clear that Tesla makes no claims regarding the Model S being a luxury vehicle.

I can't think back to the earlier days, but I know now-a-days, they tend to use the word "Premium". Someone recently asked me how the interior would compare to a BMW, and I had to tell them: "Between a chevy and a cadillac"

And to clarify... "premium" means "superior quality"... again, not really speaking to luxury appointments.

I'm being anal about this because I don't think we can fault Tesla for not doing something it never promised. Of course there is room for improvement - there always is - but within reason. Model S was never supposed to compete on luxury cred.

And to clarify... "premium" means "superior quality"... again, not really speaking to luxury appointments.

I'm being anal about this because I don't think we can fault Tesla for not doing something it never promised. Of course there is room for improvement - there always is - but within reason. Model S was never supposed to compete on luxury cred.
I've made this argument multiple times as well.

Earlier thread on the topic HERE. It includes pictures of several interiors, and a poll asking for favorites. The Model S interior won by a surprisingly large margin.

Quite obviously, not everybody likes it - and that's fine, opinions will always differ on aesthetics. But I feel "assaulted" by those pictures of other interiors; they seem too busy to me. I find the Model S interior more relaxing. (That was not my opinion the first time I looked at the poll, which was before I had the car - but the more I looked at the pictures, the more I liked the clean Model S lines. After more than a year in the car, I still feel that way.).

Last edited:
Earlier thread on the topic HERE. It includes pictures of several interiors, and a poll asking for favorites. The Model S interior won by a surprisingly large margin.

Quite obviously, not everybody likes it - and that's fine, opinions will always differ on aesthetics. But I feel "assaulted" by those pictures of other interiors. Way too busy. (That was not my opinion the first time I looked at the poll, which was before I had the car - but the more I looked at the pictures, the more I liked the clean Model S lines. After more than a year in the car, I still feel that way.).

I will have to agree, the Model S interior is much more roomy and simple. I think the only thing they need to work on is making the screen blend in better. Which I think they were limited to save costs but overall maybe a curved display with a better shape might work better. Or better yet, make the entire thing one huge display lol

@passion4audio, @Hybris:
I understand what you are talking about and I agree with you. I also agree with other side (?) of opinions. Essentially we are talking about different stuff.

Tesla Model S falls into a new category IMHO - technologically advanved premium car with simplicity.

That said I have driven Model S for a week and with a few test drives, the interior is in premium quality and good design, however leather materials, stitching, quality of bounce power of the seats, door closing sound, wood materials if used any, exterior panels alignment all do not, IMO, compare to German and/or Italian similar priced cars. It's not about good or bad, Model S is just different.

I prefer personally more luxurious Model S with more real leather, firmer door closing sounds, better pelsa alignment. But that's only my personal wish. These aee not definitely dealbreaker for me so I already reserved the car and paid the deposit. If Tesla ever offered such luxurious version in the future, I would buy that too!

The price is M5, M6 panamera land... Meaning you would expect premium quality materials... On the other its US built so maybe that explains it...

- - - Updated - - -

Again. Design and simplicity is one thing. That Tesla do good but the big screen do look hideous in design terms... Yes want it but dont talk about minimalistic design... Its a in your face thing. Hiroshiy i totally agree... Door closong sound, weight of doors, lousy chairs for a performance car (no side grip and bad support), side panels, stitching, instrument panel etc etc all feels like "want but not there yet...". Yes I have ordered the car but will not change my mind on those things even if owners tend to defend their cars... It was not dealbreakers and love a lot of other things about this car. But Tesla please learn quickly. The interior material and fittings feel cheap. Not 100K USD... Oh and please hit me but this will still be my opinion... tesla interior is its weak point...

I drove a P85+ loaner the other day (vin 17xxx) and was surprised how different the interior materials were from my car (P85, vin 6xxx). My car has leather arm rests, both on the doors and the center cup-holders that are much nicer than the synthetic on the loaner. These are now part of the Extended Leather package, so I expected that change. The changes I didn't expect were the dash, area under the dash to the left and right of the touch screen, and the top of the doors above the handle. All of those areas had a much cheaper feeling synthetic than the synthetic material on my car. Before this loaner I didn't understand why people were complaining about the interior being cheap feeling, but I definitely could see how after experiencing a newer car.

I drove a P85+ loaner the other day (vin 17xxx) and was surprised how different the interior materials were from my car (P85, vin 6xxx). My car has leather arm rests, both on the doors and the center cup-holders that are much nicer than the synthetic on the loaner. These are now part of the Extended Leather package, so I expected that change. The changes I didn't expect were the dash, area under the dash to the left and right of the touch screen, and the top of the doors above the handle. All of those areas had a much cheaper feeling synthetic than the synthetic material on my car. Before this loaner I didn't understand why people were complaining about the interior being cheap feeling, but I definitely could see how after experiencing a newer car.
For Model S...
People have complained about "cheap" feeling interior since the beta (alpha?), through the release candidates, in the founders cars, in the signature cars, in early production, in current production, etc. This isn't "new". It may be "recently even worse" but definitely not new. FYI.

although I like the interior of the Model S, the craftsmanship and "fit and finish" don't seem to be quite to the level of some of the offerings from other manufacturers.

It would be neat if there was a factory option (other than the "Extended Leather") to bring the interior more on par with some of the top competitors.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

Here's Maserati:
x3a70o.jpg

the interior in my smart ed looks nicer than that
sheed.png

the model s has the cleanest interior