Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s the mph charger difference on one of them vs a Tesla charger?

Assuming you are talking of a 32A blue socket, for practical purposes the same (about 22mph). The wall connector can go faster if you have a three-phase supply to connect it to, but that’s unlikely.

If you were talking of the smaller 16A blue socket (as used with caravans), then that’s not directly supported by the Tesla UMC but if you made up an adapter it would charge at half the speed.

Electrically, the Mobile connector UMC and the Wall Connector are the same thing: the WC is in a more robust and weatherproof housing, but you could in principle install a blue socket and fix your UMC to the wall and have the same thing as a WC. However, you’d then have no UMC to take with you for charging away from home. Alternatively, you unplug it each morning, roll up the dirty cable and take it with you (tiresome); or you only do that when going on a trip, and end up forgetting it the one time you critically need it.

It’s also better if your UMC isn’t your daily use charging solution, as if it ever got damaged or faulty you would up in big trouble.

BTW, if installing that blue socket, it neds exactly the same wiring and to follow the same regulations (Type A RCD, earthing) as if you were installing a WC. It does of course save the cost of the WC itself.

Parents who are 12miles away are letting me get a blue industrial socket installed outside their house so at a push I’ll just be visiting them more often which isn’t a bad thing

What’s the mph charger difference on one of them vs a Tesla charger?

I wouldn't rely on that as a primary source of charging, unless you really want to spend 4 or 5 hours per day parked outside your parents house. For the whole Tesla/EV thing to work you really need to have a robust home charging solution in place. It sounds like a bit of a challenge, but hope it works out for you in the end.